Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think if a public person announces to the media they are gay or lesbian?
It would make no difference to me and not impact my opinion of the celebrity 38 40.43%
I would think more of them because they are brave and honest 10 10.64%
I would be less likely to respect and watch them on TV or in the movies 23 24.47%
Because I support their rights to a homosexual lifestyle, this questionaire does not apply to me 23 24.47%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,388,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
"Why announce it to the world and make it everyone's business?"

The person the op is discussing simply thanked her long time girlfriend for her support during cancer treatment. She did not "announce it to the world and make it everyone's business" The media did that. The op seems to be upset that she thanked her girlfriend because she is a lesbian.
I think there is a difference between mentioning their spouse and calling a press conference to announce to the world that they're gay. The former whatever it's just another little factoid about the person. The latter would make me think less of them because of their need to announce their sexuality, not because of their sexuality. I think the same thing of the Hollyweird celebs who feel the need to announce their latest fling with anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,599,982 times
I really don't care what you do behind closed doors as long as you keep me out of it. I don't need to approve of what you do any more than I need you to approve of what I do. What is private should remain private.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:04 AM

7,825 posts, read 6,411,850 times
It's funny when people like Brian Boitano come out as if everyone didn't know already.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:17 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,700,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
This question is only for people who don't support a homosexual lifestyle:

If for religious, moral or ethical reasons you are against people who live a homosexual lifestyle, what do you think about public figures who publically announce to the world that they are gay or lesbian? Please take the poll and discuss your answers.

PLEASE! This is not meant to be an anti gay, homophobic or, general discussion about homosexuality. Instead, it is just a discussion/poll about celebrities who announce to the world publically through the media they are gay or lesbian.

If you support gay rights and feel that in the year 2014 a homosexual lifestyle is fine, please don't reply.
Silly thread. It's like asking people who do not support the killing of animals for food, to submit their comments about people who come out as hunters and consumers of red meat. Obviously you will get people submitting disapproving comments.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,703,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It's funny when people like Brian Boitano come out as if everyone didn't know already.
No kidding.

I'll admit the Robin thing surprised me, but largely because I couldn't care less about her, one way or the other. But skaters, dancers, actors, etc....not only do I not care, but I'm never surprised.

That's pretty much how I feel about all of them.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 AM

33,595 posts, read 18,231,520 times
What is next down the pike????... someone announcing they are a pedophile when pedophilia is acceptable as it was centuries ago.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:01 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,251,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What is next down the pike????... someone announcing they are a pedophile when pedophilia is acceptable as it was centuries ago.
Yeah, because two consenting ADULTS is exactly like raping a child.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,856,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What what WHAT??? I don't see pedophilia EVER becoming acceptable.

Do you have some evidence that suggests otherwise?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM

19,747 posts, read 10,182,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
What what WHAT??? I don't see pedophilia EVER becoming acceptable.

Do you have some evidence that suggests otherwise?
It still is in India and some middle eastern countries. Men routinely marry girls as young as five. A couple weeks ago, a 40 year old married a girl around 8 and killed her while having intercourse. She ruptured and bled to death.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:01 PM

39,122 posts, read 51,371,476 times
I look forward to the day when announcing one's sexuality will no longer raise any eyebrows or command the attention of even the most conservative among us. Public figures "coming out" will hasten the arrival of that day, however, in much the same way that acceptance of alcoholism and treatment was aided by Betty Ford's public admission a couple decades back. Celebrities, because of their visibility and, in many cases, our admiration, have the power to change our perceptions and erode stereotypes and prejudices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies