Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM

13,718 posts, read 9,048,606 times

Advertisements

I lived in Oklahoma City for a year. Did you know that there are working oil wells on the capital grounds? That is 'monument' enough for OKC.

Anyway, it was silly to erect the Ten Commandments on the grounds, and even sillier that these frauds called Satanist are even proposing to erect anything. I imagine that one ground for denying the statue is the lack of a nexus to Oklahoma (since the Satanist, according to the OP link, are based in New York City, and I doubt many, if any, are in OK).

Anyway, the state capitol of any state should not be involved in religious nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,724,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

Well it is certainly bad-ass

definitely more interesting than some commandments. . .but isn't Satan a fallen angel. I would think he would be amazingly beautiful and angelic.

Personally, I would rather have a monument to

Yea, I hope they keep lots of rolls of toliet paper next to it. Ima crawl up and take a dump in Satan's lap every chance I get. Just so he knows how I feel about him. Plus it'll serve as a reminder to everyone else that comes along.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:36 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,272,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm just wondering what other name calling is acceptable here? Does it make you feel superior to be so intolerant of the beliefs of others and to call them names?
Ah, so if Dale Cooper is mocking non-Christians, it's OK, but name-calling is right out?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:37 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,251,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Isn't interesting that it seems a majority of liberals seem to love idea of erecting a Satan(who personifies evil) monument.
It tells me a lot about liberals in general for who they really are.
No this liberal support keeping ALL religions out of the government, but since the OK government decided to allow one religion, it has to allow any and all religions. The government can play favorites when it comes to religious displays.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,272,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And what was the reason that the monument with the Ten Commandments was placed there in the first place if not for the fundies to be able to rub someone's nose in it?

Do you really believe that it was not put there to show everyone who is not a Christian how much power the Christians have and to establish Christian dominance? I doubt it, quite seriously.
Now, now. The believers on this thread have clearly established that it's mature and classy to show off their power and superiority to the rest of us stiffs, and to violate the United States Constitution, while it's rude and childish to oppose such behavior and uphold our beloved and revered Constitution. Didn't you get the memo?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,979,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Just some information. The satanists aren't a real religion, they are atheists who call themselves satanists in an attempt to mock Christianity. The other group fighting over the ten commandments monument is called "The Church of the flying spaghetti monster."

Secondly, the satanist group isn't even from Oklahoma. They are from New York. They could really care less about Oklahoma in any real terms. They are just starting this controversy because they want to **** off Christians and/or Okies.
You make an interesting point.

I'm not sure whether Satanists are a "real" religion or not. Who am I to judge what a "real" religion is? Who are you to judge if their religion is "real?" The other point you make is they are all from New York ... would you be willing to bet your life there is not even a single Satanist residing in Oklahoma? Even if the funds to pay for the statue is from their co-religionists in New York, what difference does it make? I think it is very likely there are at least a few individuals in Oklahoma that identify with Satanism.

In any case, for the sake of argument, even if Satanism was deemed not a real religion, am I safe in assuming that you have no problems with Hindus erecting a statue of the elephant-headed diety Ganesh or Buddhists erecting a statue of Buddha? Would you argue Hinduism and Buddhism are not "real" religions?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 PM

37,282 posts, read 19,292,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Now, now. The believers on this thread have clearly established that it's mature and classy to show off their power and superiority to the rest of us stiffs, and to violate the United States Constitution, while it's rude and childish to oppose such behavior and uphold our beloved and revered Constitution. Didn't you get the memo?
Oh... Sorry. I'll try to do better...

Old 01-07-2014, 06:07 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,720,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Actually, their credo is modelled directly on the teachings of Ayn Rand, per their founder, Anton LeVey.
Yes, I know. One of the reasons LaVey chose the name was to fire up conversation/controversy. It also has literal significance, as the word Satan is translated as questioner or adversary in Aramaic and Hebrew.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 PM

37,282 posts, read 19,292,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Yes, I know. One of the reasons LaVey chose the name was to fire up conversation/controversy. It also has literal significance, as the word Satan is translated as questioner or adversary in Aramaic and Hebrew.
Didnt know that. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,368,293 times
They wanted their Christian monument, this is what they get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies