Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Training and experience is 2 different things. I have hired people without experience before , some came out great and some didn't. Pay is based off of performance. I prefer to hire on who will benefit my business the best. Why don't you actually own a business first then we can have a man's talk about running a business. I am doing very well in my business by the way.

You said most jobs don't hire people to qualify for a job , what qualifications do you need to be a cashier? So they must be doing something wrong in your words.
I was only talking about experience, surely you can understand the difference.

Also I was talking about a post were a person said they hired at $15/hr, which I am sure they hire qualified people, not unqualified people. A cashier job is one where you can hire someone unqualified to do and attempt to train them, but you would be better off hiring someone with experience to reduce training time, but that is up to you.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM

577 posts, read 435,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I was only talking about experience, surely you can understand the difference.

Also I was talking about a post were a person said they hired at $15/hr, which I am sure they hire qualified people, not unqualified people. A cashier job is one where you can hire someone unqualified to do and attempt to train them, but you would be better off hiring someone with experience to reduce training time, but that is up to you.
Nope.. I've hired people without experience. Once girl is a high school senior that lives on her own already.. she is 17 years old. Never worked the job before. And , she did a good job her first time out and she will be working much more with me.

You either do the job, or you don't. It's not neccesarily high skilled work.. as is the case with most minimum wage work.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
You are either being purposefully obtuse or just woefully ignorant.

Obviously service industry jobs that pay minimum wage such as retail or fast food can"t offshore these jobs but they do reduce employees, hours, benefits etc.

The jobs that do end up getting offshored are the ones that become unprofitable as a result of minimum wage hikes and the inflation it causes.

For instance UNION jobs, whose wages are tied to minimum wage, every time MW goes up, their wages automaticly increase by a the same percentage.
Combine that with Caddilac benefit packages and expensive industry regulations and high corporate taxes and it becomes more profitable to take these jobs overseas than it is to keep them here.

Minimum wage hikes are not the only factor in offshoring but to deny that it plays a role is just willful ignorance.
If businesses hold us hostage by threatening to leave unless they can pay slave wages, let them leave!

As a whole, we should have more self respect for our country and ourselves!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Firstly, there's no correlation between the top and the low percentile wage. To say since the people at the top make more money, I deserve more is like saying the good students get good scores, so I deserve better score too. Should we pass a law to mandate minimum scores for bad students who can't pass tests?

Secondly, the wage is driven by the value produced by a position. How much value does a burger flipper can produce? Is that the same value as a CEO of a billion dollar company? Now, if the burger flipper can produce enough value like if he can manage to flip twice as many burgers than other flippers within the same work hour, he well deserves his salary to be doubled. This is also true for a CEO who doubles the profit for her company.

The reality is the burger flippers are still flipping the same amount burgers while CEOs are managing bigger and more complicated companies.

The last time we saw income inequalities like this was right before the great depression. To have 1% earn what the bottom 40% earn combined will lead to economic failure. The wealthy cannot buy enough to keep an economy healthy.

Quote:
taking a historical perspective, the increase in U.S. income inequality in recent decades is strikingly similar to the increase that occurred in the 1920s. In both cases there was a boom in the financial sector, poor people borrowed a lot, and a huge financial crisis ensued (see “Leveraging Inequality,” F&D, December 2010 and “Inequality = Indebted” in this issue of F&D). The recent global economic crisis, with its roots in U.S. financial markets, may have resulted, in part at least, from the increase in inequality. With inequality growing in the United States and other important economies, the relationship between inequality and growth takes on more significance.
Finance & Development, September 2011 - Equality and Efficiency

At least those burger flippers will put whatever they earn back into the economy.

Also, the value of a worker is in their productivity.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The minimum wage increase certainly is a factor. Look, we can't even agree that arbitrarily raising the minimum wage would cause the cost of goods to go up, we'd better stop talking here because it's like saying 1+1=1.
The enemy is the businesses and corporations that wish to enslave Americans under the threat of causing them economic hardship if they do not comply.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
I started my own business and pay my employees $15/hour.. and I'm able to remain competitive with my competition. And, I attract pretty good employees because they like the pay....

So arguments against raising the min wage is just excuses... period.
Oh, really? How would like it when the government steps in and say you need to everybody $50/hour at the minimum?

Can you still say that your argument against raising the minimum wage is just excuses, period?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Eliminating raises for whom? CEOs are not obligated to conduct business in any one country. Their job is to maximize profit for the companies legally, and there's no such legal requirement. For large companies, CEOs are often from different countries. If they ship jobs overseas and make the companies profitable, they deserve a huge raise!

Apple is a prime example and so is Walmart.
Let them go. Who will be able to afford their products anymore?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It isn't sustainable... we have seen the middle class disappear and the wealth gap will continue to spread.

It's ugly now and it will only get worse. You can applaud CEO's all you like but over time we will see this country fall hard.
And the CEOs will live and spend their money in other countries.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The enemy is the businesses and corporations that wish to enslave Americans under the threat of causing them economic hardship if they do not comply.
Our history is a great thing because this has been tried many times and in many countries such as USSR, China, N Korea and many communist countries. They preferred to do it the quick way: just shoot the capitalists and confiscate their properties.

After that, no capitalists to enslave their people and their people lived in a fair and equal world with nobody had anything and the government takes care of everything.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
If you want them come back, lower/remove the corporate tax and get rid of the minimum wage. Business people love to do business in USA but if you don't allow them to make profit, why should they come here?

Sorry but businesses should pay for the infrastructure this county provides them. I am not so eager to turn our country into a pool of slaves for a wealthy few. To hell with any company that has no patriotism! Let them go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies