Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,249,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Lets see the supporting data for your argument.
Well explain to me how a hoagie shop that sell a hundred sandwiches a day can support a 15 dollar an hour employee. Explain to me how anyone can pay double the industry standard wages and remain competitive.
You make claims about a business you say you started and you can 15 an hour. Maybe you do. What is the industry standard for your business?
I did drywall for a while. The industry standard at that time was $4.00 a board to hand 4x12 sheets of drywall. If I doubled it or even added a dollar I would have attracted a lot of hangers. I also would have went out of business because no one would have hired me to hang their sheet rock when it could be done for far less.
That is reality. I don't know your business and quite frankly have no desire to either. The point is you can only pay what the business will support. Because your business can support 15 an hour doesn't mean that all can as you insinuated with your post.
What you can pay for your industry and what a sandwich shop can most likely is not comparable. Who wants to buy a sandwich for 12.00 when I can get a comparable sandwich for 6.00? why pay even $8.00 when I can get a comparable sandwich for $6.00? Some might but not most.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBurns View Post
You haven't explained to me why I can't pay $2 an hour to my employees.
You can if the law allows. You will also attract employees that are worth $2.00 an hour. You won't attract employees who are worth more.
I also never said you couldn't.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This post deserves repeating.
Why? It states nothing but opinion. What industry? What is the industry standard? Why are some people willing to pay more for this service? The only reason you like the post is that it also supports your opinions.
JoJajn what businesses have you owned or been a manager of? Basic business tells you that in order to be competitive you must be priced comparably to your competition or produce a product of vastly superior quality. Even with better quality it is a crap shoot. Most people don't care about quality. They care about price. Why do you think so many people buy that cheap chinese garbage from walmart?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Would you hire someone to be a cook that has no idea how to cook? Most jobs don't just hire people that don't qualify for a job. That would be bad business.
So you are also admitting that YOU are responsible to obtain the skills to work in a job yo want to apply in..

So why do you whine so much that people cant get skills?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
One of the perks of wealth is often having the ability to structure your compensation optimally for taxes. Buffett is obviiously no dummy and he saves a ton on taxes - not to mention looking better to his stockholders - by forgoing a fat CEO salary and taking his comp as dividends.

Most of us peons don't have that option.
Actually you peons do have that option, you just choose not to..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Will be????? LOL... those jobs are already gone champ.

We all wanted the jobs to remain here but most of you applaud the CEO for maximizing profits at the expense of our middle class.

You keep talking about offshoring like its new. Its damn near an old model because China is developing and pretty soon those companies will have to find a new 4th world to pay slave wages. I'm from Pittsburgh... we lived well and everyone worked in Steel. Once America decided to get Steel from China it killed our region. That started in the late 70's. Offshoring isnt new and its idiotic to keep bringing it up...
So how does raising the minimum wage, help bring those jobs back?

The fact that its been happening as wages increase, should tell you TO STOP BEING DUMB...

but nooo, liberal answer, lets do it again..

Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM

577 posts, read 436,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Oh, really? How would like it when the government steps in and say you need to everybody $50/hour at the minimum?

Can you still say that your argument against raising the minimum wage is just excuses, period?
Gong from $50/hour from $10 hour , which is what the call to minimum wage nationally is, is absurd. $10/hour is still LOW wages... $50/hour isn't..

Raising the minimum wage a few bucks is NOT a ridiculous request..

Nice try though..

Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Because he CAN structure his compensation in a way that affords him a lower tax rate than most worker drones pay. Most worker drones cannot structure their compensation the same way Buffett does.
What stops you from starting your own business and taking your compensation as equity rather than a salary?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:40 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,998,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post

It is beyond ridiculous to request a 40% raise without increasing the skil set requirements or level of the employees..

Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Gong from $50/hour from $10 hour , which is what the call to minimum wage nationally is, is absurd. $10/hour is still LOW wages... $50/hour isn't..

Nice try though..
no no no no no.. According to some of you left wing kooks, Buffet is a billionaire, so he could afford to pay $50 an hour, and all of us other business owners who arent, are just peeons and should just go out of business, YOU included..

Dont like the argument that you should be foced to pay $50 an hour? Then why the hell is $15 ok just because YOU can..

I offshore my programming jobs right now, not to avoid minimum wage laws, but to get around dealing with "employees"... Avoiding minimum wages for me is bonus.

More jobs overseas, while you stand here and whine that I should pay people more.. You know, the very same employees I dont have because of idiots who think they are worth more than they are.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:45 AM

18,472 posts, read 7,116,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Inflation is always rising regardless if you raise minimum wage or not, but not raising it only punishes those ate the bottom because their income value is worth less and less. Tell how that makes sense?

Because raising minimum wage increases employer costs and that money has to come from somplace...... It's one of things that CAUSES INFLATION IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Do you think there is a magic money fairy that covers employers costs when minimum wage is increased?

Do you think that the CEO of McDonalds is going to take that money out of his own pay or find a way to make do with less employees and raise the price of a Happy Meal to cover the costs?

Holy cow people!!!! this is common sense here.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies