Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 07:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How many people do you have to catch stealing books before you decide it's time to put in place the means to stop them from stealing books ?
Well if it happens less than 1% of the time and we typically catch those that steel books, then it doesnt make sense to waste money on photo ID cards for every one that comes through the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
Another example of my second point. Actual proof that dead people have cast ballots has been posted on this thread. Instead of just 6 as you stated would indicate a problem worth fixing, 2600 votes were found.
This tends to be common when people claim that their are all these fraudulent votes and police actually investigate the situation.

"A year and a half after a zombie voter fever fell over Republicans in campaign mode, a state police investigation found no indication that anyone purposefully cast a ballot using the name of a dead person in South Carolina. - See more at: http://www.free-times.com/blogs/18-months-later-sc-law-enforcement-closes-case-on-zombie-voters-finds-no#sthash.YztOMz01.dpuf"

Old 01-26-2014, 03:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Different case. You know that books are stolen.
No the post specifically said :

Quote:
nor do I have any information about how many books are stolen each year

Old 01-26-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well if it happens less than 1% of the time and we typically catch those that steel books,
No, you specifically said:

Quote:
nor do I have any information about how many books are stolen each year

Old 01-26-2014, 03:20 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
No the post specifically said :
Outrageously out of context...

Quote:
So your lack of proof is a good example? It would be like me saying you steal books from the library, but I have no proof that you do, nor do I have any information about how many books are stolen each year. Come back when you have factual data to use to combat voter fraud.
You still appear unable to produce any evidence that the phony voter problem exists...

Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Outrageously out of context...
No it isn't, he specifically said he didn't know how many books were being stolen. With that qualification it's an apt comparison to voter fraud since we have no clue how many fraudulent votes are being cast.

Quote:
You still appear unable to produce any evidence that the phony voter problem exists...
We know that it exists, that is undeniable. The only thing that is debatable here is the extent and that is something neither of us can prove since we don't have the means.

Again we can look at possible indicators such as the Pew study citing 24 million invalid or significantly inaccurate voter registrations. Those aren't all frauds but how many are? You don't know, I don't know but the point is the potential is enormous.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:52 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
No it isn't, he specifically said he didn't know how many books were being stolen. With that qualification it's an apt comparison to voter fraud since we have no clue how many fraudulent votes are being cast.

We know that it exists, that is undeniable. The only thing that is debatable here is the extent and that is something neither of us can prove since we don't have the means.

Again we can look at possible indicators such as the Pew study citing 24 million invalid or significantly inaccurate voter registrations. Those aren't all frauds but how many are? You don't know, I don't know but the point is the potential is enormous.
Comeon...that sentence began with...

"It would be like me saying"

Nope. Without an indication of the occasional incident caught by the authorities the projection would be the frequency is tiny to non-existent.

I see nothing wrong with fixing the problems identified in the Pew study but that is not what the right is trying to implement. In fact there appears to be no interest in fixing voting problems...only in voter ID.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Nope. Without an indication of the occasional incident caught by the authorities the projection would be the frequency is tiny to non-existent.
How many people go through stops signs vs. how many are caught? Suggesting an unknown total can be indicated by the amount of people caught is ridiculous. I'm also going to add this isn't exactly a high priotity crime where LE is actively attempting to find and prosecute illegal voters.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:02 AM

57,295 posts, read 26,217,746 times
The primary fraud is in absentee ballots, how does a voter ID resolve that issue.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Pay attention. I long ago agreed that the dead vote in Chicago and other places. But that is not done by someone impersonating the dead one. It is done by wholesale packing of the ballot box before or after the election - not by people showing up to vote in a dead persons stead.

The issue is would it be prevented by voter ID. And the answer to Chicago is no.
When I die I intend to have my gravestone engraved with the message "Votes Republican" to keep the Democrats from getting any funny ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies