Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Crothers View Post
No, you and Glitch don't even understand escape velocity. No proponent of the black hole understands escape velocity. All proponents of the black hole unwittingly allege that their black holes have and do not have an escape velocity simultaneously. But that's impossible. If you understood escape velocity you would have realised that this is impossible.
first i never said that a black hole does not have an escape velocity, in fact i dont think anyone has. what we HAVE said is that the escape velocity of a black hole EXCEEDS the speed of light. try again at failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 11:01 AM

18 posts, read 13,215 times
Default Black Hole Escape Velocity??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
first i never said that a black hole does not have an escape velocity, in fact i dont think anyone has. what we HAVE said is that the escape velocity of a black hole EXCEEDS the speed of light. try again at failure.

You are wrong. All proponents of the black hole assert that black holes have and do not have an escape velocity simultaneously and at the same place. However, this is impossible, and this fact alone invalidates black hole theory completely. See section V of this paper:

General Relativity: In Acknowledgement Of Professor Gerardus ‘t Hooft, Nobel Laureate,
viXra.org e-Print archive, viXra:1409.0072, General Relativity: In Acknowledgement Of Professor Gerardus ‘t Hooft, Nobel Laureate

Also see here:

Wormholes: Science Fiction or Pure Fantasy?,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16_GuYobDZ4

And here:
Caramba!-Dear Friends

Old 10-19-2014, 11:11 AM

671 posts, read 891,102 times
Best to remember there are alway two branches of any science...
One is theoretical,,they explore the possibilities and the what is more likely to be.
The other side you can see in a place like CERN,,they confirm or eliminate the theoretical proposals..
One thing they have in common is they both are happy when something is proven be it right or wrong....Simply because one tells what is and the other where it isn't...That's how science works....Both are valuable advances...

Old 10-19-2014, 11:24 AM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Yeah, what a bunch of jerks not figuring out black holes yet. The closest one is only 1600 light years away That's 5.88 trillion miles, multiplied by 1600.

But according to you, a non-scientist, they should have it all figured out by now or else they just never will I guess.

lol

I'll take the scientists over the uneducated guy who clearly didn't get the gist of a simple science article written in plain English as evidenced by his original post. But in case you forgot:

So, black holes were proven with empirical evidence. But now they actually aren't and if they ARE in fact what we believe them to be...we might learn something from them, or not.

1. The article and the disagreement it describes does not in any way call into question the existence of black holes, which do exist.

2. The article does not say that nothing new won't be learned, the misquote should actually be: "We might learn some new physics, which may have real implications about the non-trivial structure of the universe," says Braunstein. But he also points out that we might not.

Or to help you out, because you appear to be in dire need of it. Braunstein is saying that Hawking's new theory may lead to new physics, or it might not. But better understanding of the nature of black holes will undoubtedly resolve the quantum vs. relatively debate (which would be learning something new, but it wouldn't be new physics). Which is a given because more information about them would resolve several of those disputes mentioned in the article.

This calls for a Field Trip..................

.........Permission Slips please.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:05 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
You are wrong. All proponents of the black hole assert that black holes have and do not have an escape velocity simultaneously and at the same place. However, this is impossible, and this fact alone invalidates black hole theory completely. See section V of this paper:

General Relativity: In Acknowledgement Of Professor Gerardus ‘t Hooft, Nobel Laureate,
viXra.org e-Print archive, viXra:1409.0072, General Relativity: In Acknowledgement Of Professor Gerardus ‘t Hooft, Nobel Laureate

Also see here:

And here:
Caramba!-Dear Friends

Well, we know that statement to be a deliberate lie, since you were already told by rbohm and I that all black holes have an escape velocity. As you were previously informed, no one has ever said otherwise - except you.

Posting your own paper online does not give you any credibility, particularly since it is flat out wrong.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:

Now that is a C-D worthy citation!

By alluding to Hooft, the author and the yourself have attempted, poorly, to give credence your argument with a disingenuous appeal to authority... except in this case the authority Gerardus Hooft, is completely dismissive of the premiss.

Gerard ’t Hooft, Strange Misconceptions of General Relativity

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hoof...cturenotes.pdf
Physicists who write research papers, lecture notes and text books on the subject of General Relativity - like me - often receive mails by amateur scientists with remarks and questions. Many of these show a genuine interest in the subject. Their requests for further explanations, as well as their descriptions of deeper thoughts about the subject, are often interesting enough to try to answer them, and sometimes discussions result that are worthwhile.
However, there is also a group of people, calling themselves scientists, who claim that our lecture notes, text books and research papers are full of fundamental mistakes, thinking they have made earth shaking discoveries themselves that will upset much of our conventional wisdom. Indeed, it often happens in science that a minority of dissenters try to dispute accepted wisdom. There’s nothing wrong with that; it keeps us sharp, and, very occasionally, accepted wisdom might need modifications. Usually however, the dissenters have it totally wrong, and when the theory in question is Special or General Relativity, this is practically always the case. Fortunately, science needs not defend itself. Wrong papers won’t make it through history, and totally ignoring them suffices. Yet, there are reasons for a sketchy analysis of the mistakes commonly made. They are instructive for students of the subject, and I also want to learn from these mistakes myself, because making errors is only human, and it is important to be able to recognize erroneous thinking from as far away as one can ...

Examples of the themes that we regularly encounter are:
- "Einstein’s equations for gravity are incorrect";
- "Einstein’s equivalence principle is incorrect or not correctly understood";
- "Black holes do not exist";
- "Einstein’s equations have no dynamical solutions";
- "Gravitational waves do not exist";
- "The Standard Model is wrong";
- "Cosmic background radiation does not exist";
and so on.

When confronted with claims of this sort, my first reaction is to politely explain why they are mistaken, attempting to identify the erroneous ideas on which they must be based. Occasionally, however, I thought that someone was just reporting things he had read elsewhere, and my response was more direct: "Never have I seen so much nonsense in one single package ..." or words of similar nature. This, of course, was a mistake, because these had been the thoughts of that person himself. When other correspondents also continued to defend concoctions that I thought to have extensively exposed as unfounded, I again felt tempted to use more direct language. So now I am a villain.
A curious thing subsequently happened. A handful of people with seriously flawed notions of general relativity apparently joined forces, and are now sending me more and more offensive emails, purportedly exposing my "stupidity" and collecting more "scientific" arguments to back their views.
Gerard ’t Hooft, Strange Misconceptions of General Relativity

Old 10-19-2014, 04:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:

Also see here:

And here:
Caramba!-Dear Friends

as glitch pointed out, you are flat out wrong that all proponents of black holes assert that have and do not have an escape velocity simultaneously, glitch, myself, and many others have noted that the escape velocity of a black hole EXCEEDS the speed of light, thus we do in fact suggest that there is an excape velocity for a black hole.

but your contention that black holes do not exist still runs contrary to what has ACTUALLY BEEN OBSERVED, and that is that there ARE black holes. both stellar mass and super massive black holes. how cxan this be you ask, since a black hole by nature can not be directly observed? simple, the super massive black holes have been located by their effect on stellar bodies around them. for instance at the center of our galaxy, there are several stars orbiting a central point, and yes this has been observed and the orbits calculated. however they are all orbiting a single point that is DARK, thus indicating a super massive black hole as we know it(essentially a super dense singularity that sucks in everything that comes close, including light).

and stellar mass black holes have been found using a neat little technique called gravitational lensing, aka galactic lensing.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:54 AM

18 posts, read 13,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as glitch pointed out, you are flat out wrong that all proponents of black holes assert that have and do not have an escape velocity simultaneously, glitch, myself, and many others have noted that the escape velocity of a black hole EXCEEDS the speed of light, thus we do in fact suggest that there is an excape velocity for a black hole.

but your contention that black holes do not exist still runs contrary to what has ACTUALLY BEEN OBSERVED, and that is that there ARE black holes. both stellar mass and super massive black holes. how cxan this be you ask, since a black hole by nature can not be directly observed? simple, the super massive black holes have been located by their effect on stellar bodies around them. for instance at the center of our galaxy, there are several stars orbiting a central point, and yes this has been observed and the orbits calculated. however they are all orbiting a single point that is DARK, thus indicating a super massive black hole as we know it(essentially a super dense singularity that sucks in everything that comes close, including light).

and stellar mass black holes have been found using a neat little technique called gravitational lensing, aka galactic lensing.

It's quite plain that you don't understand the subject matter and that you don't study any critical arguments. This is not surprising, because no proponent of black holes even understands escape velocity. See Section V of the following:

Crothers, S. J., General Relativity: In Acknowledgement Of Professor Gerardus ‘t Hooft, Nobel Laureate, 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies