Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 AM

804 posts, read 618,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Because it keeps us slaves to the banks and therefore the government, who bails out the banks.

Being uneducated keeps people enslaved to menial labor or low wages. I can't believe this anti-intellectual rhetoric actually takes place on Internet forum. You know, the Internet, invented by educated people with degrees.....

Last edited by risotto11; 01-30-2014 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Why does Obama think we need more overeducated, underskilled adults?
Because college students who don't have a mortgage or rent to worry about, utility bills to pay, taxes taken out of their paycheck, or have a family to feed, vote idealistically (Democrat) and that idealistic bull is what he pushes when he hits the road and visits colleges. It's all about keeping Democrats in power.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That was a pretty simplistic outline. Here's some more information about becoming an electrician.
Electrician: Educational Requirements and Career Profile
Candidates who hold high school diplomas or the equivalent may apply to become apprentices through various unions, such as the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers or the National Electrical Contractors Association. Completion of these 4-year programs allows apprentices to become journeymen and work on both construction and repair projects. . . .Apprentices receive approximately 600 hours of in-class instruction on safety principles, electrical circuits and blueprint reading. Aside from learning in the classroom, apprentices also receive on-the-job training under the supervision of experienced electricians. Apprentices may practice wiring outlets and soldering electrical components.

It's more than following a master electrician around.
But it is less than going to a university and getting a bachelors degree. IMHO, doing the 4 year trade route is like skipping undergrad and just going to blue collar grad school. In grad school, you don't take a ton of fluff courses outside your specialty. Medical schools don't have students taking Urban Studies and Philosophy, law schools don't require Biology and Calc I & II, and my MBA program focused on business classes, not art history.

That's how the apprentice->journeyman training courses are. As an electrician apprentice, none of your training is writing persuasion papers on Leonardo's contribution to the High Renaissance, not are you asked to take 12 credit hours of physical science and another 12 of social science. Nope, you spend 4 years learning what journeymen electricians who do journeyman electrician work need to know in order to be journeymen electricians. It's so much more focused and proper.

The bottom line of undergrad is to fund the industry of college in general and to act as another barrier/obstacle separating various classes of work. A doctor learns their actual work stuff in Medical school and residency, not while getting their BA in Art History. So the BA in Art History is a membership fee and key that opens the next door, but is functionally useless for the purpose of training the doctor to provide medical serivces.

Luckily, the skilled trades don't have this nonsense, or there'd be a massive shortage of skilled tradesmen who didn't find learning about medieval French poetry all that applicable to earning a paycheck.

Undergrad is a scam that serves as make-work nonsense so professors of what I call "just get a library card to learn all that" majors can be employed as something other than waiters and bartenders.

For my field, if I was forced to come up with a curriculum to train software developers for the real world of development, I could crank out folks better prepared than folks with grad degrees in CS in about a 3rd of the time, just let me train them full time like an apprentice in the skilled trades would be trained, and yeah, 2 years, 3 max...I could train someone to be software development badass.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:11 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Why does Obama think we need more overeducated, underskilled adults?
In the realm of obsession, ensuring that citizens are educated seems a fairly innocuous obsession compared to, say, ensuring people don't get an education or ensuring people don't get payed well or people don't have health insurance.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Being uneducated keeps people enslaved to menial labor or low wages. I can't believe this anti-intellectual rhetoric actually takes place on Internet forum. You know, the Internet, invented by college grads for college grads....
Then why are there so many McDonald's workers with college degrees?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Because college students who don't have a mortgage or rent to worry about, utility bills to pay, taxes taken out of their paycheck, or have a family to feed, vote idealistically (Democrat) and that idealistic bull is what he pushes when he hits the road and visits colleges. It's all about keeping Democrats in power.
Hahaha, this proves you never went to college. I did & I had all of that to deal with except a family. Fail.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:21 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,146,011 times
All Presidents and political parties pursue objectives designed to pacify the populace and booster political support from targeted demographic sections of the population.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:23 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Then why are there so many McDonald's workers with college degrees?
Because the dirty secret of undergrad is that most, if not all undergrad degrees that don't have the word "engineering" in them are useless for the purpose of acquiring useful white collar job skills?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
One practical reason is he is going to wind down the wars and there will less opportunities for young people in the military, especially those without educations.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Because the dirty secret of undergrad is that most, if not all undergrad degrees that don't have the word "engineering" in them are useless for the purpose of acquiring useful white collar job skills?
There are too many people with college degrees and not enough jobs or well-paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies