Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 07:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,999,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
So why did they move?

To a small company like Beretta, what a state views as a minor incentive deal is meaningful. Corps move over $$$$$$$. Nothing else.

Two other corps are coming to the same town.neither gun-related, and both received more per job than this firearms manufacturer. One is an auto supplier-which will make it a better than average blue collar median wage workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 11:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,906,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The state laws of Maryland will not change when they leave, how does that constitute a smart business decision.
what part of

Quote:
During the legislative session in Maryland that resulted in passage of the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, the version of the statute that passed the Maryland Senate would have prohibited Beretta U.S.A. from being able to manufacture, store or even import into the State products that we sell to customers throughout the United States and around the world.
do you not understand? maryland makes a law that says beretta cant make guns in that state, so beretta decides its a good business decision to stay? is that what you are thinking? a gun manufacturer not being able to manufacture guns? what business school did you attend, we must know to avoid it forever.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,270,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It's a big so what. A very efficient industry with low headcounts. Ct's entire group have 2,200 jobs with revenue of several billion. 50 years ago, Remington Arms in Bridgeport, Ct had a 5 figure headcount with revenue a small fraction of that.

Strum Ruger has < 1,800 employees and over 2/3 of a billion revenue.

Beretta comes to Tn..whoop dee doo.300 mediocre-paying jobs. I'd much prefer a corp hq coming to Nashville metro, with median incomes like say, Nissan's hq, which was 140k when it arrived.
Ruger here in Arizona pays REALLY crappy wages and their benefits are a joke.

I've never.understood how anyone from Prescott can afford to live up there on Ruger's wages.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,948,370 times
I just bought my girlfriend a lady smith in .357.... She's getting pretty good with it.. I think I better behave now.. lol

Old 07-25-2014, 11:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,999,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ruger here in Arizona pays REALLY crappy wages and their benefits are a joke.

I've never.understood how anyone from Prescott can afford to live up there on Ruger's wages.
In terms of skill levels, most remaining firearms blue collar jobs are low end.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,754,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
In terms of skill levels, most remaining firearms blue collar jobs are low end.
Hey they dont like? become a machinist or a mechanical engineer.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:38 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,345,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what part of

do you not understand? maryland makes a law that says beretta cant make guns in that state, so beretta decides its a good business decision to stay? is that what you are thinking? a gun manufacturer not being able to manufacture guns? what business school did you attend, we must know to avoid it forever.
The key words are "would have prohibited", that is not in the legislation.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:58 AM

59,328 posts, read 27,487,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That doesn't count supporting businesses. In any manufacturing business, there are some steps that are outsourced. It could be something simple like heat treating to milling complete parts. I'm picking up my latest purchase from my FFL almost a month after buying it. The manufacturer had issues with the company that anodizes their parts which delayed shipments for almost 3 weeks. This is not some small manufacturer, they are an OEM for dozens of gun manufacturers as well as providing aircraft parts to Boeing.
Don't try to reason with the simple minded.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:02 AM

59,328 posts, read 27,487,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are companies moving everyday for various reasons, tax breaks in other states, cutting overhead. I am sure there are other businesses and suppliers to Beretta but that is the case for any company. This isn't the first company that moved out of a state because they didn't like the laws. I have to wonder what the average salary is for Beretta, the company that moved out of NY was rather low end with few exceptions, I don't see low wage employees moving to Tennessee.
I think the gist of this thread is beyond you.

It is NOT that one company is moving.

It is a TREND that gun manufacturing companies are moving out of states that pass anti-gun legislation.

So many, like you, focus on one little point and NEVER get the big picture.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:17 AM

45,554 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think the gist of this thread is beyond you.

It is NOT that one company is moving.

It is a TREND that gun manufacturing companies are moving out of states that pass anti-gun legislation.

So many, like you, focus on one little point and NEVER get the big picture.

The big picture is this:

Beretta warned the Governor and Legislature that the new regulations would likely have the result that has just been announced. When the legislation was first discussed a couple years prior to passage (it was played as a reaction to Newtown but it really wasn't. It had been introduced in a couple sessions before and never made it out of Committee.) was when the company started to announce its concerns.

The expansion now taking place in Tennessee was originally supposed to be at the Accokeek plant. That was halted and the company started looking around, again, a couple years before final passage.

The prospect of a rabidly anti-gun Attorney General (Brian Frosh) and an anti-gun Governor (Anthony Brown) being elected this November played into the final decision.

Both of them, and a plurality of the Democrat dominated Legislature, are on record as desiring even more stringent gun control (confiscation) legislation, reaching down to common hunting firearms such as semi-automatic and pump action shotguns, both of which are Beretta staples.

The next legislation the presumptive Attorney General Frosh will likely ask for is a $1 to $2 per round tax on ammunition and a banning of mail order ammunition sales in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies