Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:09 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,462,723 times

Advertisements

im gonna throw out a guess that women who get married and hyphenate their last name the divorce rate is higher?

Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,100,301 times
Really OP? Cathy McMorris Rodgers. Really? Jamie Huerrera Beutler. Shelley Sekula-Gibbs. Ginny Brown-Waite. Shelley Moore Capito. Enos Greene Mickelsen. And those are just Republicans in the House until I got tired of looking. This thread fails hard.

Last edited by Grsz11; 02-01-2014 at 10:15 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 10:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
My niece........named Jaimie........just married a guy named Jayme. Yes the confusion will reign down........lol. Eight last names...........most terrorists fit that category.........liberals are just trying to catch up.
Your full of crap...

How dare you associate just a persons name with a terrorist?

Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,581,256 times
Tradition for tradition's sake is a meaningless gesture. I kept my own surname, it's mine, it's part of my ancestry, it represents my family. My husband and I are not one person, we are 2 unique people. I wouldn't adopt his first name, so why would I adopt his last? Never made sense to me (or him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I retained my original name after marriage. Why wouldn't I? It wouldn't occur to me to do otherwise.

I did inform Mr. Zenstyle at the time that he was certainly welcome to change his last name to mine, however!
Ditto!

Quote:
These feminist nazi's FORCED women to work or they felt they were worthless. Now look where we are at. Half the country is divorced........kids living with single parents all over........yes what a wonderful thing for us all.
This feminazi is a stay at home parent married for 20 years!

Quote:
You don't want to take your husbands name I wouldn't marry you.
Sorry, you're REALLY not my type.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,581,256 times
Should women change their names after marriage? Ask a Greek woman | Heather Long | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Old 02-01-2014, 11:34 PM

30,383 posts, read 52,001,327 times
My sister (who is a Democrat but not what I'd call a "feminazi") kept her name after marriage, and people were constantly asking for the first few years "when are you changing her name?" Her answer was basically "who said I was going to do that?" She likes our surname for a few reasons, one being that she used to work in public/local government, and the town where she served had a large Russian-Jewish population... our name is obviously Russian-Jewish to those who know the heritage, so they'd always request her based on this name. I guess they felt more comfortable with someone of their background, even though she doesn't speak Russian?

Then she went into a high-profile job in professional sports, and didn't want to lose her identity and reputation she'd built with that name. Besides, this isn't ancient times, and women are no longer expected or required to adopt their husband's identity - thus abandoning their own to some degree. She actually earns WAY more than her husband now, so it's not like she owes him anything for his support! Oh, and their two children have his name, no hyphen or middle name from us. That was a decision they made mutually, mostly because he's the only boy in his family (while we have a brother to pass on the name). It does cause a few issues for her, having a different name than her kids, but around here that is fairly commonplace. Anyway, that's her story, and I'm not even sure why this is still an issue these days.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:38 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Anytime I have ever encountered a woman with a hyphenated name, turns out she is liberal. Now I have friends who get married and the wife won't even hyphenate her name she just keeps her original name. Now I have never asked any of them why they hyphenate or not take the name of her husband but just guessing here that it has something to do with feminism. I never have run across a conservative woman with a hyphenated name unless she is a prominent figure or is already famous. Now you do see a lot of that with women who are famous or their name is their brand of sorts or even women in business I have seen it there as well. I am amazed on how many women I meet with hyphenated name are liberal, sometime they put there last name first and sometimes they put the husbands name last. I just don't know much about the subject except that majority of hyphenated names tend to be liberal woman. Just an observation anyone with any info on this?
It has a lot to do with your last name, too. If your maiden name is something like Carmelodutti and your future husbands name is Poppolopeccio, are you REALLY going to hyphenate those puppies?

Old 02-01-2014, 11:52 PM

15,542 posts, read 10,528,971 times
Heck, around here a lot of my gal pals have their mom's maiden name (or perhaps their grand mother's maiden name) for their middle name anyway. For that matter, some of the guys do too.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:13 AM

128 posts, read 123,078 times
It's not as common in plenty of other cultures, so you'd better be aware if you like foreign women.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:53 AM

30,383 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It has a lot to do with your last name, too. If your maiden name is something like Carmelodutti and your future husbands name is Poppolopeccio, are you REALLY going to hyphenate those puppies?
Haha. My step-sister is getting married soon, and both she & her fiancée have Polish names ending in -witz... female empowerment aside, I would just have to laugh if they hyphenated those names!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies