Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM

37,166 posts, read 42,353,577 times

Advertisements

I don't know why people do anything nor do I care. My SIL was published (academic papers) under her maiden name and continues to use it professionally even though she's been married 25 years and used her married name socially. I changed mine when I got marred 30+ years ago BUT I took my maiden name and made it my middle name, dropping the middle name given to me by my parents. It was Jane, a typical "filler" name in the 50's, and meant nothing to anyone. I preferred that to a hyphen. I didn't have to do anything but change my drivers license and start using it. I'm not Ceece A. Marriedname and even though I'm getting divorced I'm keeping it that way whether I ever remarry or not.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 PM

5,737 posts, read 3,269,560 times
Yep because 99% of women followed the lead of the feminist movement and made sure they hated
Sarah Palin with a passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Yeah! We're all apparatchiks for the collectivist cause!

Hey, are you sure your name isn't really Khrushchev???

Old 02-02-2014, 01:04 PM

5,737 posts, read 3,269,560 times
ususally the women who hyphanate are the control freaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why are conservative men threatened by a wife who chooses a hypenated last name? Are they control freaks?

Old 02-02-2014, 01:12 PM

29,232 posts, read 22,492,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Anytime I have ever encountered a woman with a hyphenated name, turns out she is liberal. Now I have friends who get married and the wife won't even hyphenate her name she just keeps her original name. Now I have never asked any of them why they hyphenate or not take the name of her husband but just guessing here that it has something to do with feminism. I never have run across a conservative woman with a hyphenated name unless she is a prominent figure or is already famous. Now you do see a lot of that with women who are famous or their name is their brand of sorts or even women in business I have seen it there as well. I am amazed on how many women I meet with hyphenated name are liberal, sometime they put there last name first and sometimes they put the husbands name last. I just don't know much about the subject except that majority of hyphenated names tend to be liberal woman. Just an observation anyone with any info on this?
A conservative woman with two last names just gave one of the answering Republican speeches to the President's State of the Nation speech last Tuesday night.

It's a social trend. The U.S. is now catching up to the practice; it has been common in much of the world in other nations for centuries. There are many reasons women do it; among them are the rates of divorce (it's easier for a divorced woman to go back to her maiden name if she never changed it), advantages that come from being a female member of a prominent family (Hillary always calls herself Rodham Clinton. The Rodhams are a very prominent Arkansas family), and nowadays, women who are famous seem to prefer keeping their maiden names even when married, like Maria Shriver.

The only thing that seems to be changing is the use of the hyphen. A lot of combined names sound silly or lumpish when connected with a hyphen, so dropping it allows the woman to use just one, which may be the best sounding. A name like Vivoschlander-Mogus sounds odd, no matter what.
The Brits have a lot of double last names, but very few are hyphenated.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,875,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I do not want kids so that would never be an issue.
Good.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,184,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniStanko View Post
Have you the same ever, ever asked yourself why Spanish, Mexicans, Hispanics or Mexican Americans have about six names in some cases? Didn't think so. nt.
Nope, didn't know that and I grew up in Milwaukee's Latin Quarter, not one of my friends or family members that I knew had 6 names, 5 names, 4 names, 3 names. I never ran into that and my neighborhood is about 90% Hispanic.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,084,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I always figured that it was a way to retain a part of her family's identity.

[shrug]
This is exactly why I hyphenated my last name. And our oldest son has my hubby's last name and my youngest has my maiden name. I was the last in our branch of the family and I wanted the family name to carry on.
My hubby wasn't opposed so it's all good

Old 02-02-2014, 01:41 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,179,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Good.
Good what?

Old 02-02-2014, 01:45 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,862,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Yep because 99% of women followed the lead of the feminist movement and made sure they hated
Sarah Palin with a passion
It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that she refers to all women as "soccer moms", could it?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:37 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,625,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I always figured that it was a way to retain a part of her family's identity.

[shrug]
But it only works for one generation. What happens when Susan Rudzinski-Smith marries John Jones-Hossenpepper. Do you give all four names to the kids? This gets ridiculous fast. It's kind of silly to do something you can't keep doing.

Hyphenating makes sense if she has a professional identity and in the case of a remarriage where there are kids by the first marriage. I hated that my last name was not the same as my mothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies