Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 03:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times

Advertisements

Anytime I have ever encountered a woman with a hyphenated name, turns out she is liberal. Now I have friends who get married and the wife won't even hyphenate her name she just keeps her original name. Now I have never asked any of them why they hyphenate or not take the name of her husband but just guessing here that it has something to do with feminism. I never have run across a conservative woman with a hyphenated name unless she is a prominent figure or is already famous. Now you do see a lot of that with women who are famous or their name is their brand of sorts or even women in business I have seen it there as well. I am amazed on how many women I meet with hyphenated name are liberal, sometime they put there last name first and sometimes they put the husbands name last. I just don't know much about the subject except that majority of hyphenated names tend to be liberal woman. Just an observation anyone with any info on this?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:47 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,184,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Anytime I have ever encountered a woman with a hyphenated name, turns out she is liberal. Now I have friends who get married and the wife won't even hyphenate her name she just keeps her original name. Now I have never asked any of them why they hyphenate or not take the name of her husband but just guessing here that it has something to do with feminism. I never have run across a conservative woman with a hyphenated name unless she is a prominent figure or is already famous. Now you do see a lot of that with women who are famous or their name is their brand of sorts or even women in business I have seen it there as well. I am amazed on how many women I meet with hyphenated name are liberal, sometime they put there last name first and sometimes they put the husbands name last. I just don't know much about the subject except that majority of hyphenated names tend to be liberal woman. Just an observation anyone with any info on this?
I don't, probably something about how the last name (in modern terms, it's like branding the relationship) will represent the nature of the relationship (patriarchal, matriarchal, equal) or something like that. It seemed to be bigger in the 70s-80s than today. Now it's more common for a woman not to change her last name at all rather than hyphenate it.

Or perhaps it's a holdover from the British aristocracy, where there were a lot of hyphenated last names. I remember one of the contestants in Monty Python's "Upper-Class Twit of the Year" who's last name was Smith-Smythe-Smith. lol

Old 02-01-2014, 03:59 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Why Do Only Liberal Women Hyphenate Their Names?

What do you have to support that allegation?

Anne Morrow-Lindbergh for example was a liberal?

Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 PM

577 posts, read 435,654 times
Quote:
Okay.
Well . conservative women tend to be more subservient.

Liberal women tend to be more independent.

Of course, this isn't always the case - as this may not apply to EVERY individual..

But generally, this tends to be true.

Other reasons may be that as an older,independent female that is building her own business.. I went back to my maiden name after my divorce (for many reasons) and I am establishing a name for myself. As such, I will be known by my current full name. should I remarry, I will want to either keep my name for recognition or atleast hyphenate my name so they realize that I'm one in the same person as they may have heard of in business circles.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,163 times

Old 02-01-2014, 04:05 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,525 times
I don't know why women take their husbands last name at all. If I ever got married, I would keep my maiden name. It's my name after all.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
If the hyphenated names are a good idea, wouldn't it be a good idea for the kids as well? Then when they get married to a hyphenated mate, now they have four last names. And their kids have eight, and so on. At least it would confuse the @#$% out of big brother.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why Do Only Liberal Women Hyphenate Their Names?

What do you have to support that allegation?

Anne Morrow-Lindbergh for example was a liberal?
It's a general observation and I didn't say every single liberal in the world did this, I thought that part was obvious.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
I've been told they don't want to lose their identity.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,833 times
Quote:

(R) Fl Rep. Ileana Ros-Letinen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies