Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Employers shouldn't be in the healthcare business anyway.
I have to agree with you. I would rather have the money my employer puts towards my insurance and purchase my own insurance. Well, I would have pre obamacare. The option I would prefer, which you can't do under obamacare is put the money aside and purchase a major medical policy to cover me fore catastrophic events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 10:50 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
Quote:
Employers shouldn't be in the healthcare business anyway.
I can remember when the liberals were screaming in the streets for employers to provide health insurance...was not that long ago. Laws in CA were being passed to force companies with over 50 employees an insurance plan. People have such short memories. But finally the left and right have something they can agree on.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Do you feel the government should have a hand in it?
Yes...but only in the way that government involves itself in healthcare in any country with single payer.

I definitely believe that in such a system, government should negotiate drug prices the way Canada does it.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The right thing to do for many corporates.An employer should not have to be the insurance business as well as why they are in business in the first place. Most of the best medical was gained by the hard work of Unions as a comparison / perk / negotiation to the union contract, outside of that better policy's can be found on the private market by the employes themselves.

The only problem is why should private insurers sell said insurance to anyone likely to use it and cost them real money?

Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
The Washington Examiner say, “44% of US companies considering dropping insurance coverage of current workers due to Obamacare.â€

Gee whiz. How's all that “Hope and Change†working for you? Read the full piece @ Poor Richard's News - 44% of US companies considering dropping insurance coverage of current workers due to Obamacare

Employers should be on their knees praying to GOD for the fact that they can blame Obama for srewing over their workers , something they were going to do anyways!!!

Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I can remember when the liberals were screaming in the streets for employers to provide health insurance...was not that long ago. Laws in CA were being passed to force companies with over 50 employees an insurance plan. People have such short memories. But finally the left and right have something they can agree on.
Really? Because employers have been providing health care all of my life...and I'm 48.

Short memory? No, it's just that you must be old as dirt. Lol

Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to agree with you. I would rather have the money my employer puts towards my insurance and purchase my own insurance. Well, I would have pre obamacare. The option I would prefer, which you can't do under obamacare is put the money aside and purchase a major medical policy to cover me fore catastrophic events.
I doubt VERY SERIOUSLY that employers would put that money in our pockets.

I'm sure as he'll not convinced.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
I definitely believe that in such a system, government should negotiate drug prices the way Canada does it.
The ONLY reason that Canada is able to negotiate those low prices is because the U.S. (a country with 10x the population, and a drug market that's 10x larger) picks up the slack. If the U.S. went single payer, you'd see drug prices drop a little, but Canada would no longer be getting the prices they're getting now. THEY would be paying full retail, and WE would be getting the discount, but it wouldn't be anywhere near what they're currently enjoying.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The ONLY reason that Canada is able to negotiate those low prices is because the U.S. (a country with 10x the population, and a drug market that's 10x larger) picks up the slack. If the U.S. went single payer, you'd see drug prices drop a little, but Canada would no longer be getting the prices they're getting now. THEY would be paying full retail, and WE would be getting the discount, but it wouldn't be anywhere near what they're currently enjoying.
Maybe, but why should I pick up the slack for the Canadians and Europeans? Why should you or I subsidize cheap drugs for Canucks?

I've seen no good reasons as of yet.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:13 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Maybe, but why should I pick up the slack for the Canadians and Europeans? Why should you or I subsidize cheap drugs for Canucks?

I've seen no good reasons as of yet.
I didn't suggest that you should or shouldn't do anything - I was just pointing out the fiscal reality surrounding the discount that Canadians currently enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies