Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 04:49 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Nope, not only is this one of the dumbest ideas anyone could have, its not going to happen and for good reason. If you want to smoke and kill yourself, knock-yourself out. I want you to have the right to be stupid and smoke. I don't want the gov to say Tobacco is banned, but at the same time, when you light up in a restaurant you force the server, and others who do not smoke to breath your carcinogenic crap. If we were talking about something that did not cause others to force participate I would be all for it. But since it does force others to participate in your bad habit its not going to happen. Its a stupid idea at best and criminal at worst.
Who is being forced to inhale a customers smoke? No one. As a responsible individual, I can make the choice not to go inside a bar or whatever that allows smoking. I can choose not to work in a pplace that is likely to have people smoking in it. Again: NO ONE is being forced to inhale second hand smoke that doesn't want to. You are free to go to a place where smoking isn't allowed. If you cannot find such a place, well than you are free to stay out of bars and diners completely.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wonder which bar is more busy.
The bar that allows smoking most certainly lost business because they had to cut their food sales to 20% but most likely not as much if they had cut out smoking since most of their business was bar business. The country bar on the other hand is more of restaurant hence the reason they offer more food and no smoking.

What do you care anyway? It's not your business.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Who is being forced to inhale a customers smoke? No one. As a responsible individual, I can make the choice not to go inside a bar or whatever that allows smoking. I can choose not to work in a pplace that is likely to have people smoking in it. Again: NO ONE is being forced to inhale second hand smoke that doesn't want to. You are free to go to a place where smoking isn't allowed. If you cannot find such a place, well than you are free to stay out of bars and diners completely.
Same logic applies to smokers. They are free to stay home.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Exactly. Smoking should only be banned in public or government places for the reasons you mentioned.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Same logic applies to smokers. They are free to stay home.
Yes, the logic being that everyone has a choice. Smokers should be free to stay home, the bar owner should be free to allow smoking in their place of business, and nonsmokers should be free to stay home or go to nonsmoking bars. This way no one is forcing anything on anyone else.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wonder which bar is more busy. Well it is good that you made the choice to go to the smoking bar, but do you have that much of an addiction that you are incapable to go outside to smoke?
Addiction is an iron grip. It dictates the life of the victim, as you can tell from the posters story.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Addiction is an iron grip. It dictates the life of the victim, as you can tell from the posters story.
That's there problem, not yours. They made the choice to smoke. They enjoy smoking. It's not your place to enforce your views on them.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
You just don't get it do you? It's about property rights, it's about the free market place, it's about choice, it's about self responsibility, it's about free will, ironicly it is NOT about addiction or even smoking.

You are well established on these forums as someone who believes that we need government telling us how to live, that we cannot possibly function without big brother, so I would expect nothing less.
Business laws and property rights are not the same thing. You are free to smoke in your own home, property rights. You are not allowed to have smoking in a business if their is a smoking ban, business laws.

You guys seem to confuse the two often.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that... I even mentioned that I've never liked smoking in restaurants etc, and don't smoke inside my OWN HOME. The debate is more about private business rights, not about our inability to smoke outside. Although I must admit, when I lived in the frigid mountains, it was a lot less appealing to go outside in 0 degree snowy weather.
If the business wishes, they can put out heat lamps to keep the smokers happy. There is a number of bars in Portland that have fire pits to keep people warm that are outside smoking.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
That's there problem, not yours. They made the choice to smoke. They enjoy smoking. It's not your place to enforce your views on them.
They used to make it everyone's problem, but the situation has improved somewhat. There was a day when people used to smoke in their office cubicles, airplanes, buses, banks, post offices and every other place were non-smokers were (had to be). No, was not a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies