Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,035,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You've clearly never been forced to drive through Pasadena or San Bernardino. Nobody, and I mean nobody is stupid enough to believe that all of CA is beautiful, million dollar townhomes in SF. Realistically the overwhelming majority of the people here on CD who boast about how great CA is will never get any closer to those places than the front gate. Most are just cramped apartment dwelling trash who are angry at life and are envious of people who have enough space to have a kitchen AND and living space that aren't the same space.
We are cramped but not angry. We are not New Yorkers. We love LA and don't mind the drop in standard of living to live is Southern California. I make enough to own a nice home and new truck on the outskirts of Houston but I prefer living in an apartment in one of the best innovative cities in the country.

It's just a matter of preference. From the outside, CA haters look like they're the bitter ones flaunting their new homes at us as though we give one rats a $ s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,061,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
We are cramped but not angry. We are not New Yorkers. We love LA and don't mind the drop in standard of living to live is Southern California. I make enough to own a nice home and new truck on the outskirts of Houston but I prefer living in an apartment in one of the best innovative cities in the country.

It's just a matter of preference. From the outside, CA haters look like they're the bitter ones flaunting their new homes at us as though we give one rats a $ s.
Of course you're angry, you boast about how elite your state is when in reality you'll never have a chance to enjoy those elite benefits that you boast about because you'll never be able to afford them.

We have a pretty well known left wing nut job here on CD who boasts about how SF is just the greatest utopia on the planet and how innovative everything and everyone is. She's a F'n librarian living in a crappy cramped apartment with a bunch of cats and snakes. To me that's the epitome of pathetic.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:44 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,616,233 times
So the gist of the article was that the brains and innovation remain in California and the grunt widget work is going to Texas. This should keep Texans line-dancing for joy.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,254,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Read carefully. It is manufacturing that exceeded CA. That is best served by workers who demand and get little from the bosses. California still leads by a large margin when it comes to intellectual exports like software systems and technological innovation. I don't see those kind of people fleeing to Texas anytime soon. They have it pretty good in the Bay area and the PNW. On the other hand, RTP succeeded in pulling the high tech industry out of Mass. a few decades ago. We'll see.
Now that you mention it, that is a good point, I must have missed where it said manufacturing jobs, I was thinking the article was about tech jobs like the title implied.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Of course you're angry, you boast about how elite your state is when in reality you'll never have a chance to enjoy those elite benefits that you boast about because you'll never be able to afford them.

We have a pretty well known left wing nut job here on CD who boasts about how SF is just the greatest utopia on the planet and how innovative everything and everyone is. She's a F'n librarian living in a crappy cramped apartment with a bunch of cats and snakes. To me that's the epitome of pathetic.
Then you'll never understand. Living out here is a totally different slice of life, man. You could be a librarian but still take advantage of the things the cities like SF and LA provide for their residents.

For instance, here in LA we have a great civic engagement program that allows for people to join their local neighborhood councils. I joined for a year and found it to be an amazing experience. I learned about city government, met the mayor, provided input on city budgets and attended city banquets. That level of civic engagement I never found in Houston. All of it free.

The public works projects like the griffith observatory, the libraries, the state universities, heck the opportunities at the local junior colleges alone floored me and all at a super super cheap cost.

Do I have to go on? Do you not get it yet? CA is not for the practical guy who just wants a job and a house and a truck and cares little for the city as a whole. That's what Texas is for. You carve your own little slice of heaven, commute to work, go back home, repeat and then go fishing on the weekends. It that's your thing more power to ya but CA has given me a lot out of life.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
So the gist of the article was that the brains and innovation remain in California and the grunt widget work is going to Texas. This should keep Texans line-dancing for joy.
Yikes! You're right. Texas is Americas answer to China.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,788,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It doesn't seem like the right has considered that the influx of educated tech workers also means an influx of voters who don't vote for authoritarian stupid.
Authoritarian stupid is why people are leaving CA.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,788,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Don't tech companies bring liberal voters with them? Is this something conservative Texans want to be supporting?
No, they don't.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,061,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
That explains why little no name companies like Google, Microsoft, Dell, HP, Texas Instruments and IBM have set up development offices in Texas.

You guys are downright pathetic and clearly angered by this article but that's to be expected, can you even cry without touching the walls in a 180 sq foot mansion?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,740,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Yeh, I suppose, except if the oil is coming from Alberta in Canada, how much good does it do Texas?

Texas is exporting oil now, because we have more than we use(self sufficient). The keystone is for the rest of the world to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies