Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times

Advertisements

The fear is not about gay
The fear is marriage being watered down to meaningless
Current divorce rate is 67% and marriage rate to single is already down 50%
The threat is to the institution
But it was in big trouble already not bek of gays but bek of anti marriage pro civil rights laws such as anti credit discrimination law and no fault divorce law
Making divorce rate skyrocket
Which was all about money not marriage

Old 02-15-2014, 12:33 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,953,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
But it was in big trouble already not bek of gays but bek of anti marriage pro civil rights laws such as anti credit discrimination law and no fault divorce law
How does banning SSM change in any way those concerns?

Old 02-15-2014, 01:07 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,078,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh for heaven's sake: regular parades we have all grown up with do not flaunt anything, they certainly do not flaunt a lifestyle or sexual orientation. BTW anyone who refers to gays as a lifestyle doesn't really understand gays, it isn't a life style it is a sexual orientation. If you are so involved in what is right for gays, you would certainly know this. We are not talking about gay right here for heavens sake, about beating someone, or worse? Where did you get such an idea? We are talking about marriage equality, gay rights and flaunting, not anything else. What do you mean the straight lifestyle is flaunted everyday? What you are saying isn't making too much sense.
Straight couple kissing each other in public - aww, how cute, maybe tone it down a bit but no thoughts about flaunting their sexuality

Two guys holding hands walking down the street - OH MY GOODNESS THEY ARE FLAUNTING THEIR SEXUALITY THEY SHOULD IT KEEP IT TO THEMSELVES!!!!

Old 02-15-2014, 01:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,502,536 times
Quote:
What was the point of this post? I don't think most Republicans or conservatives have a war on homosexuality anymore than the Democrats do and most people believe in equal rights. The only issue many have is simply with the gay marriage issue and I am not even talking gay unions, I am talking the actually religious ceremony. If that makes us heading a war on homosexuality so be it. Sounds to me like you are just looking for something to rant about, something that really isn't true. Oh, and for your information there are a lot of gay Republicans. Do you know anything about the Log Cabin Republicans?
But there are churches that want to perform and sanctify same sex unions. Marriage is a civil matter, not just religious and only a civil marriage affords one those 1049 plus/minus rights and benefits that all tax payers pay for. No church, nor any religion has been or will be forced to perform gay marriages, as they are not forced to perform interracial marriages, old to young marriages or marriages of divorced couples.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:48 PM

47,010 posts, read 26,062,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
Too much importance has been connected to this issue.
So how about you and yours get out of the way, let the gays have relationships, marry etc. like everybody else and start working on the issues that you feel actually are important?

Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,701,854 times
Quote:
Oh for heaven's sake: regular parades we have all grown up with do not flaunt anything, they certainly do not flaunt a lifestyle or sexual orientation. BTW anyone who refers to gays as a lifestyle doesn't really understand gays, it isn't a life style it is a sexual orientation. If you are so involved in what is right for gays, you would certainly know this.
Unless you have something better than third party gay friend hearsay, you can never approach my level of knowledge about what is right for same sex couples. So skip the morally authoritative assertions.

FWIW, I use the term "lifestyle" because that's the calling card of the opposite sex "lifestyle" supremacists.

Quote:
We are not talking about gay right here for heavens sake, about beating someone, or worse? Where did you get such an idea? We are talking about marriage equality, gay rights and flaunting, not anything else. What do you mean the straight lifestyle is flaunted everyday? What you are saying isn't making too much sense.

The straight "lifestyle" is flaunted every day in public. Couples walk around town holding hands. Men and women kiss in public. Men and women flaunt their straight lifestyle marriages in massive, ostentatious ceremonies, in the same states where same sex couples aren't permitted to even get married at all.

Also, if you and all of those parade-opposing gay friends of yours object to parades, it may not be too obvious to point out to you that they're optional. Optional means that means neither you, nor your parade-opposing gay friends, are obligated to attend them.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,249,633 times
Quote:
Gay bans going down one after another
So?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:31 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,347,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
A 67% divorce rate? I find that very hard to believe. Where did you get that figure from?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,962,971 times
Quote:

The other thing I would like to mention is that the gay population is tiny. It is less than one tenth of one percent of the population. We are mislead into believing that the numbers are huge.
I never heard that claim before.

Can you cite a source?

1/10 of 1% ???

Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,962,971 times
Quote:
Here we go with those who want proof. Take a look at the breeding population of the world...heterosexuals who bring kids into the world...then on a planetary basis compare it to the so called gay population....it is not even a speck on the map. Only in developed nations with overly developed social and political systems do we imagine that the gay populace is significant...it appears to be significant because to make it so serves the political and social agenda of a few elite.

The gay phenomena is part of and an off shoot of pop culture....it is popular to bring it to the forefront. It is today's flavor of the decade. Too much importance has been connected to this issue. And yes I did pull the number out of my rear end....all social stats are stored there.

I must say, you have some of the strangest theories I have ever encountered.

If you look at some good books on anthropology - read some authors like Ford & Beach, Mead, and especially Tobias Schneebaum - you will discover that LGBT people exist as a significant minority in all human societies and cultures.

Interestingly a year and a half ago I went to my high school class reunion - we were a class of 350 seniors in Broward County, Florida - and when going over the class year book we discovered that over 10% of the graduates were gay or lesbian! I'll be the first to admit Broward County is a little more liberal and multi-cultural than the US average, but still, I think everyone I know would break into a fit of laughter at your underestimate of the number of LGBT people there are out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies