Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,349,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, it might not be for the better in some regards... That's why some Americans I know have gone to Cuba in the last five years--just to see it in case US travel opens up and changes from what it was. Though there's already a huge package tourist/all-inclusive industry in Cuba though--the government steers tourism to places like the Cancun-lite Varadero. There's already a massive tourist industry in Cuba, I believe it's their biggest source of income at this point.

I've met people who've gone to Cuba who found it interesting, but thought that certain aspects of it were a little off(some could be due to the embargo). I've heard multiple times that the food is lacking unless you find a good casa particulare(in-home dining). And as opposed to almost every other Latin American country the produce and goods on display in the markets is sort of pitiful--and things are expensive. Compared to Mexico where most food is uniformly delicious throughout the country and very cheap.

At the same time, it's fricking ridiculous that I can't just book a flight legally from a US airport to Cuba to experience it myself. Cuba is so scary to the US apparently, that Orbitz and other travel websites have to deny the very existence of it even from flying from a secondary country. I could go the backend route if I wanted--and I know plenty who have, though the continued travel restrictions are just an instance of how some Cuban-Americans who support the ban are the worst kind of hypocrites.
Canadians go to Cuba in droves; as do Brits and Germans and the French. Don't shoot the messenger, but a lot of the people I've spoken to go there because it's not overrun with loud, obese Americans.
I can get an all-inclusive package for as little as $500. The food is hearty peasant food; there's nothing wrong with it. Lots of chicken, fish and vegetables. Is it gourmet fare? No, but it's decent food.
People just don't want to see it turned into another expensive American tourist destination with McDonald's and Burger King.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:42 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,555,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Canadians go to Cuba in droves; as do Brits and Germans and the French. Don't shoot the messenger, but a lot of the people I've spoken to go there because it's not overrun with loud, obese Americans.
I can get an all-inclusive package for as little as $500. The food is hearty peasant food; there's nothing wrong with it. Lots of chicken, fish and vegetables. Is it gourmet fare? No, but it's decent food.
People just don't want to see it turned into another expensive American tourist destination with McDonald's and Burger King.

If it is open to Americans, the boring ones will just go to the same package resorts that already exist there... Just like in Mexico, the unadventorous Americans just go to Cancun or Cabo, and the more worthwhile locations like Oaxaca or Guanajuato or Puerto Escondido don't see that many Americans in comparison. Or go to Nicaragua, which is cheaper and less commercialized than other places like Costa Rica and doesn't have as many Americans. Whether or not McDonalds open up would really be up to the Cuban government basically...

So to be honest if it does open up and fat obese, loud Americans bother the Brits and Canadians and Germans already on package 'olidays to Varadero, I could care less since I wouldn't go to those sorts of locations to begin with. Like if I go to Cuba right now, I want to avoid the places with the fat Brits and Canucks.

About the food, I've just heard that people found the food better in Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic than Cuba, it's one of the things that I've heard as a constant from most people who've been there, especially since most of the Carribbean is pretty great as far as food goes(also that it's more expensive overall than somewhere like Central America). What I've heard and read is that unless you dine at people's homes, the restaurants are somewhat lacking. Seems to be common to some communist or former communist countries--I experienced the same thing in Bosnia and Croatia.

Last edited by Deezus; 02-17-2014 at 05:56 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 05:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,431,866 times
Quote:
So glad I'm not a obese American. Boring? Matter of opinion. Loud? Only when you're doing it right.

I'd love to visit Cuba. I like to travel and hit all of the weird places.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,349,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So glad I'm not a obese American. Boring? Matter of opinion. Loud? Only when you're doing it right.

I'd love to visit Cuba. I like to travel and hit all of the weird places.
.....and there you have it.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,560,953 times
Quote:
.....and there you have it.

You do know that in most parts of the Caribbean US tourists are much preferred over Canadians. Indeed St Maarten makes it a point to not overly promote in Canada.

Canadians are seen as fussy people who don't spend money. US tourists are seen as more fun loving, and are more lavish tippers. The French and the Germans are even more hated.

I am from the Caribbean, and this is what many who work in the tourist industry tell me.

BTW the British don't spend much either, but tend to be more humble, even to the point of acknowledging that maybe the locals might prefer the big spending Americans. They are much easier to manage than the fussy Canadians, understanding that life is more laid back in the Caribbean, and that its indeed a fact that people go there to relax.

Cuba belly aches about the embargo because they want those big spending Americans. Its not that they lack tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies