Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:15 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
If there is one big drug next to heroin that I notice in the suburbs it's the abuse of prescription narcotics such as oxycodone. It makes sense - similar to heroin and could be easier to get for some.
It often starts with pills. Opiates create such a strong addiction because people so easily develop a physical dependence, so when one tries to stop they are faced with tremendously difficult physical symptoms, as well as emotional turmoil. People often get started on pills, but once the dependence happens they end up on heroin because it becomes easier to get.

Most drugs of abuse can be used occasionally and stopped pretty easily. Drugs like cocaine, meth, ecstasy, and various other substances can be abused for "fun" and then stopped, a user might feel like crap for a day or two, but still able to function. Stopping opiates after even a short period of abuse means being seriously SICK, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, sweating, chills, terrible flu like symptoms, as well as terrible depression that can last over a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 10:53 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
"new"???
Thanks. We were white people from the suburbs, and my brother was using heroin intravenously in the 1980s. He kicked it after a year and a half, but he picked up Hep C, which destroyed his liver over the next couple of decades. He died eight years ago Monday.

Not new at all. I think some of the younger set see it as new because in the 80s and 90s, coke use was more prevalent than heroin among middle-class suburbanites. But now heroin's cheap and can be snorted, so it's gained popularity.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:01 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,838,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks. We were white people from the suburbs, and my brother was using heroin intravenously in the 1980s. He kicked it after a year and a half, but he picked up Hep C, which destroyed his liver over the next couple of decades. He died eight years ago Monday.

Not new at all. I think some of the younger set see it as new because in the 80s and 90s, coke use was more prevalent than heroin among middle-class suburbanites. But now heroin's cheap and can be snorted, so it's gained popularity.

i dont touch pills period. i know once im diagnosed with something ill be on them for life. i have an addictive personality.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
legalize cannabis and less peeps will do hard drugs..
Pot is legalized in a couple of states -- is there any evidence that hard drugs are not being used in those states?

Old 02-22-2014, 01:42 AM

587 posts, read 1,412,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UMMM, people of all races have been doing drugs, including heroin, for a very, very long time.

This is not new or news.
Once again, I said it's a new trend that heroin addiction has become a nearly all white phenomena. Blacks in the inner city were the primary users of heroin in previous decades, that is an established fact.

White people are always late and take over black urban cultural phenomena years after these things have gone out of style in the black community. The majority of Wu-Tang fans were black 20 years ago. Go to a Wu-Tang concert today and everybody there is white except the Wu. Same with gentrification. No sane white person wanted to live in the hood 20 years ago. Black people have been moving out of the hood for a better life in suburbia. During the last 15 years, white yuppies and hipsters have moved to the hood in droves because "things are more real" there. Suburban white people are always late on everything.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:22 AM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
I wouldn't say it's new to white people. It seems to go in cycles, popping up every ten years or so.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:24 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Not at first. It's the pills that are the choice but when you can't get them then you turn to heroin. Suburban white people love their pills. It allows them to be a legal drug-addict while still looking down their noses and denying that they have anything in common with the dirty brown/black urban drug addicts.

The problem is that the pills are getting kind of tough to come by at this point so now they have to see the dopeman just like an ordinary junkie.

I've taken the health histories of many fine upstanding white citizens of the U.S.A who say stuff like: I take 30mg of Oxycontin 2xdaily for my back pain, 2mg of Xanax 3times daily for my anxiety, and 10mg of Ambien at night to help me sleep. I also have the occassional (means multiple and daily) drink and some pot every once and a while (yeah right let them stay in the hospital for 2 days and they will go into DTs.).
Oh I see where you are coming from, a desire to look down your nose at the dirty suburban white folks.

Heroin is not the drug of choice for young white people in the suburbs. Weed is.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,103,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I'm pretty sure heroin has always been the drug of choice for white suburbia.
I'm as white and middle class as they come and I never knew anyone who used this crap growing up. Cocaine on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You wouldn't know anyway. After all, you're the one who on another thread about drugs more or less downplayed the severity of the drug demand in this country. I mean, you actually tried to sell the idea that Vancouver had a worse drug problem than Boston.
You really don't know squat about Vancouver, do you? The city had to open a "safe injection site" because the HIV infection rate was the highest in North America due to the junkies there sharing dirty needles. I can't say I've ever heard of such a problem out there in Beantown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Not at first. It's the pills that are the choice but when you can't get them then you turn to heroin. Suburban white people love their pills. It allows them to be a legal drug-addict while still looking down their noses and denying that they have anything in common with the dirty brown/black urban drug addicts.
...and another racist makes the killfile.

Last edited by Annuvin; 02-22-2014 at 05:55 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You wouldn't know anyway. After all, you're the one who on another thread about drugs more or less downplayed the severity of the drug demand in this country. I mean, you actually tried to sell the idea that Vancouver had a worse drug problem than Boston.
I didn't downplay the severity of demand in this country, I merely asked you to prove that the US was numero uno in the drug use dept. and you either couldn't or wouldn't do it. I also did not say that Vancouver had a worse drug problem than Boston.

Quote:
Your fingers are in your ears and your head is buried deep in the sand. You don't WANT to know how bad it is.

Unless we're talking about young black or Hispanic kids...then you'd know ALL the stats like Rainman.
LOL, I don't even think heroin is the drug of choice for blacks and Hispanics.

It's the chronic!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I'm as white and middle class as they come and I never knew anyone who used this crap growing up. Cocaine on the other hand...

You really don't know squat about Vancouver, do you? The city had to open a "safe injection site" because the HIV infection rate was the highest in North America due to the junkies there sharing dirty needles. I can't say I've ever heard of such a problem out there in Beantown.

...and another racist makes the killfile.
These people want to believe this crap Annuvin.

Is there a problem? Absolutely, but I know quite a few young white suburban kids and to them, heroin is very much a fringe drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies