Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
If the cake he was being asked to produce had two grooms at the top (or anything else that indicated the clear nature of the wedding) I say your wrong.

I edited my above post to include this: Liberty is defined as the right of an individual to act according to their own plan, and is one of the unalienable rights described in the Declaration of Independence, and religious liberty is part and parcel of the right to pursue happiness. The baker sued for not baking a homosexual wedding cake is being denied the Liberty to act according to his own plan, and being forced instead to serve another, against his will.
The couple didn't even get to the point of describing what they wanted on the cake. The baker refused service as soon as he learned that it was a same sex couple. So, you can not claim that the baker was opposed to the decorations on the cake.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
The baker in the case of the Christian bakery did not make homosexual wedding cakes for anyone either. As far as we know, this was the first time he was asked to do so. Can you prove otherwise?
Wedding cakes are things. They don't have sexualities.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:57 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The couple didn't even get to the point of describing what they wanted on the cake. The baker refused service as soon as he learned that it was a same sex couple. So, you can not claim that the baker was opposed to the decorations on the cake.
Refusing to bake them a cake simply because they are gay is just them expressing bigotry. Next thing you know a gay person, or a divorced person could not buy a donut, or a Muslim baker could put out a sign banning Jews and Christians, or a vegetarian baker banning anyone who eats red meat.

Baking a cake is not forcing the baker to be an active participant in the wedding, nor does it require acceptance of the wedding or prevent the baker from practicing their religion.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:00 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Wedding cakes are things. They don't have sexualities.
It's not even in the same league as forcing a Jew to bake a cake with the words "Happy Jewish Holocaust Day" on it.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:02 AM

392 posts, read 352,316 times
Quote:
Depends on what they wanted on the cake, does it not? Just as in the case of the poster.
Hey....just have the cake baked and go get yourself a couple of grooms or a couple of brides and stick them on yourself...What is the point of marching into a bakery and proclaiming that you are gay and you want a gay wedding cake or else..........If I was gay and about to order up a cake .....and suspected that the baker might not approve of me....I simply would not say a thing...other than CAKE please.... Everyone is looking to make an issue out of issues that can be avoided.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Should a black caterer or limo company owner be force to cater food or drive around the leaders for a KKK rally?
I'm black and I co-own a taxi company. Particularly in this economy, YOU BET I'd certainly drive around KKK leaders! Work is work, even though I find the KKK morally repugnant. And I pretty much AM obligated to drive them around since we advertise in the yellow pages and are on switchboard.com, yelp.com and numerous other business-related sites. I'm not allowed to discriminate.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
There is no law that says you have to provide services or goods to anyone if your own your own business. In fact you are able to discriminate as you wish and it has nothing to do with religion. How that will stand up in court vs the courts trying to remove bigots and other ideas is another story.

Keep in mind a black owned business might also turn down service to a white person. etc etc.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times
Quote:
If the cake he was being asked to produce had two grooms at the top (or anything else that indicated the clear nature of the wedding) I say your wrong.
Oh, boo hoo! If he's that thin-skinned, I cannot help but wonder what he'd do if he saw two ACTUAL men holding hands in real life!

Once again, you people are using the guise of religion to make yourselves a victim. A pity-seeking victim.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
As far as baking the cake, their (the homosexuals') money is as green as everyone else's. As far as attending the ceremony, no, I will deliver the cake and it's all yours to do with as you like. And as far as those of you that are using the "hate" card that you always use, it would not have mattered if it were a "Christian" bakery. That would have egged on the homosexual couple all the more to bring this issue to court. With the homosexual radical left (the pink nazis) agenda it is "search and destroy" for all those who disagree and do not celebrate their lifestyle. Show a little tolerance yourselves.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
There is no law that says you have to provide services or goods to anyone if your own your own business. In fact you are able to discriminate as you wish and it has nothing to do with religion. How that will stand up in court vs the courts trying to remove bigots and other ideas is another story.

Keep in mind a black owned business might also turn down service to a white person. etc etc.
Did I just wake up in 1950?

There is a Federal law, in place since the 1960s, that says exactly that (and I believe all 50 states have similar state laws). The Supreme Court upheld this law as Constitutional (in a unanimous decision).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies