Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 03:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
No one is asking for "Special Rights" They are asking for EQUAL RIGHTS.
Kind of like a kid deciding he is a she and demanding to use the girls bathroom?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Oh look, another anti-gay thread by the whiny conservatives who claim people talk about gays too much.
It's a religious liberty thread. Why do you think it's an "anti-gay" thread?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:26 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It's a religious liberty thread. Why do you think it's an "anti-gay" thread?
They are Christianphobes. They get so crazy over anything just a little bit about homosexuality, even if it's not really about it. They will at least try t mmake it about it. Liberals love these kinds of topics.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where there is a need in a community, there is a market for a business.

Those that feel a specific market is getting no love, I ask, why not take the risk and open a business catering to that market?
Good point. Why doesn't a "gay" baker open a bakery serving the needs of the "gay community?"

Why did this pair determine to select this bakery, when, surely there were others? They were targeted specifically, that's why. There was a political score to be made.

This is a full scale war against our society, and against Christians in particular.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
They are Christianphobes. They get so crazy over anything just a little bit about homosexuality, even if it's not really about it. They will at least try t mmake it about it. Liberals love these kinds of topics.
Yes, they do. They target any thread that has a hint of Christian thought just like they target the Christian businesses. "We're here, we're q u e e r, and we're in your face!"

Old 03-02-2014, 03:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Thats a movie, made by Christians I believe. I am talking Hollywood in general. Its no secret they are not fond of Conservatives and Christianity. Sure, theyll come out with a Jesus movie to make some money, because money is God, but they dont accept them or Conservatives.
If you're a Christian, nobody is stopping you from making a big blockbuster movie.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:30 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
This has been explained to you thousand of times already. You can even read the bill yourself, it's been linked to already. There is zero mention of gays or homosexuals in it. Zero. Nada. Zip. None.

But you don't want to read it. That's okay. It's only a couple pages long. It's your choice to be ignorant.
I've read it many times. I just keep asking your for your interpretation because it's clear you don't understand it or its effect.

It provides religious people ("people" newly been defined to included business) an affirmative defense in Arizona courts against the enforcement of anti-discrimination laws.

So in Phoenix, which does prohibit discrimination against gay people by law, if a business refused to serve gay people and the city tried to enforce its law against that business, this state law would stop the city's efforts so long as the discrimination was based on religion. The Arizona law essentially invalidates (for religious people that is) all municipal anti-discrimination laws in Arizona that have added "sexual orientation."

But you are right in that it doesn't limit this to gays. In fact, this law gives to religious people the same affirmative defense for all types of discrimination. If a Phoenix business owner's religious belief was that the races shouldn't mix and had a "whites only" policy, he would likewise be provided this defense against both Phoenix and Arizona state laws and be allowed to discriminate against colored people. If a Phoenix business owner's religious belief was women should not work outside the home and therefore had a policy of hiring only men, he would likewise be provided this defense against both Phoenix and Arizona state laws and be allowed to discriminate against women in hiring.

The difference between the gay example and the colored/women examples is that in the later, federal law would be violated, and the Feds would swoop in. That's why the bill was primarily described as "anti-gay" - the effect of the bill was to invalidate Arizona laws protecting gay people from discrimination.

Last edited by hammertime33; 03-02-2014 at 03:38 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 03:30 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
It was not a christian bakery, the baker was using his religious beliefs to discriminate. One cannot use their religion as an excuse to discriminate when it comes to a public business. Why do some christians want to use their religion to hate people, WHY?
Because they aren't really christian. They merely wear the façade in order to use it as a tool of hate and bigotry.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times
I have kind of mixed feelings about this topic.

If I were to ever have a gay wedding, I would want bakers, photographers, and florists that wanted to be doing it, not because they were forced to due to anti-discrimination policies. There are plenty of people that would love to work a gay wedding and I think they should get my business. Also, while I disagree with the anti-gay marriage types, I really don't want them to have to do something that they don't feel comfortable doing (hopefully, they will change their minds though.)

On the other hand, I think that some of the "religious freedom" stuff is mostly garbage to make right-wing homophobes justify their prejudice and hatred. Religious freedom should never be used to oppress others.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If tolerance is a two way street, then those businesses open to the public need to learn some tolerance and leave their bible at home. Their bible and their beliefs have nothing to do with running their business and their beliefs should not be given legal regards to running a public accommodation.
So, in your opinion, a Christian business owner should not run his business according to Christian principles?

Why is it that Christians are the only ones seen as intolerant? You seem pretty intolerant to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies