Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:31 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Lol no! There is no way around this. You either believe it's discrimination or you don't. There is no '' It's only discrimination if it's done to me but not others''kind of talk here, that's just being hypocritical, no offense intended.
Drawing distincitions between types of discrimination is not hypocritical - it's drawing clear distinctions. As a society, we've decided that certain types of discrimination are okay and certain types are not. There are even a few select areas where we require businesses to discriminate (I'm required to discriminate against 20 year old adults when it comes to selling alcohol).

I can discriminate against you if you smell bad; I can't because you are white. I can discriminate against you because you're a Democrat; I can't because you're of Irish descent. I can discriminate against you because you express a hated of Jews; I can't because you're Muslim.

In general, we disallow discrimination against people because of innate characteristics they possess - race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation. (Although, perhaps hypocritically, we do include religion - a chosen lifestyle - as something you can't use as a basis to discriminate.)

Quote:
The bill simply provides extra protection for a business owner's religious rights. That's it. No where does the bill mention anything about gays or homosexuals.
What extra protections? I asked you to tell me what the bill does - what's it effects are. Did you not understand the bill enough to explain this to me?

Quote:
The spin you guys are making this out to be is pure hyperbole! Especially seeing as how businesses in Arizona can refuse to serve gays anyway if they wanted
This is untrue. Several Arizona municipalities - covering a full 3rd of Arizonans (2 million) - prohibit discrimination against people on the basis of sexual orientation.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:31 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
It was a small business owned and operated by devout Christian's. You're just playing semantics now. The owners were not hateful people either, they specifically said that they love gay people the same as everyone else.

There are Jewish bakeries. Owned by devout Jewish people, they don't need to have a sign that says '' Jewish'' on it. It's still called a Jewish bakery. And if a neo Nazi couple demanded that the owners of the bakery baked them a cake, the owners would not be able to refuse because under your logic that would be discrimination.
It is you playing semantics, DUDE. They were not owned or operated by a church, that is what makes them a christian bakery, not just because the owners are christians. Neo nazis are not a protected group of people and why would they go to a jewish bakery, come on that is just fishing. I am an atheist, does that make my lanscaping maintenance service an atheist one. NO.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:32 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Why not just take your business to someone who would do the job, instead of forcing a company to submit to your request. This was a targeted move by the gay community just to make a point and I don't agree with their tactics.

I have no ax to grind toward the gay community, I think they deserve every right that all American citizens have, but they DO NOT deserve any special rights because of their sexual orientation.
No one is asking for "Special Rights" They are asking for EQUAL RIGHTS.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
The thing with gay activism is that its filled with lies. And these lies spread. You saw it with the bill that just failed in Arizona. The media and hollywood and others ran with outright lies. They were not even remotely honest about the bill, instead they ran with calling it the "anti-gay" law.

I even just had some clowns on Reddit mention Chick-Fil-A, and how evil it is and how no one should go there. Their reasoning is they say Chick-Fil-A donates money to groups around the world that promote death for homosexuals. That is an outright lie.

Liberals and people with these agendas will stop at nothing to get what they want. They will just make stuff up out of thin air, they deceive people willingly and have awful, false information spread.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:35 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
They have every right to be open to the public. It's their God given, Natural, Constitutional Right. Businesses do not have to be a secular thing, you are free to open any kind of business you want, wether it's Christian, Jewis , Muslim, Atheist etc... Such businesses do exist. There are Christian book stores for example.

Businesses are private enterprises. Not owned by you or the public or the Government. If you want to create a Gay Bakery you are free to do so, and you should be able to refuse the service of a homophobe if they wanted you to provide a special service that violated your values.

It's only discrimination if you just outright refuse people period. Refusing a specific service is not the same thing.
a christian book store is not called that because it is operated by a church, but because they sell books on christianity.. Sure open a gay bakery and the christians will complain about not being served because of the freedom of religion. Public businesses are not private businesses.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:36 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
Quote:
Lol no! There is no way around this. You either believe it's discrimination or you don't. There is no '' It's only discrimination if it's done to me but not others''kind of talk here, that's just being hypocritical, no offense intended.

The bill simply provides extra protection for a business owner's religious rights. That's it. No where does the bill mention anything about gays or homosexuals. The spin you guys are making this out to be is pure hyperbole! Especially seeing as how businesses in Arizona can refuse to serve gays anyway if they wanted, but how many do? None of them. They're not going to start suddenly doing it because of a bill.

I agree that discrimination against gays is wrong. It certainly is and has no place in our society. However gay activists only have themselves to blame for this bill and the many others that are soon to follow. They have sued, harassed, and even forced businesses to close because the owners would not violate their religious values or rights.

None of those businesses were homophobic, they had no problem serving gay people on a day to day basis, only when it was a special case such as a wedding case or a ceremony. If gay activists would respect the rights of religious people and stop trying to push their lifestyle onto everyone (which is what this is really about) then these bills would not exist. But because of Religious Discrimination, these kind of bills are necessary.

The only people being discriminated against here are religious people, and the only bigots here are the gay activists. Tolerance is a two way street, why you guys can't seem to understand this is beyond me.
Bingo. Instead of passing the bill with a clear announcement at a press conference about what the bill actually was and what was in it, they coward to the outright lies pushed by the media. Governor Brewer should resign. I am so sick of friggin cowards

Old 03-02-2014, 02:36 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,187,608 times
Quote:
It was a small business owned and operated by devout Christian's. You're just playing semantics now. The owners were not hateful people either, they specifically said that they love gay people the same as everyone else.

There are Jewish bakeries. Owned by devout Jewish people, they don't need to have a sign that says '' Jewish'' on it. It's still called a Jewish bakery. And if a neo Nazi couple demanded that the owners of the bakery baked them a cake, the owners would not be able to refuse because under your logic that would be discrimination.
Again, the Jewish bakery cannot be forced to make a cake with a swastika on it if they do not make cakes with swastikas for everyone. I assume that is where you are going here. Besides, nazis are not a protected class. You people have a right to hate. Nobody is forcing you to be open minded or accepting of others that are not like you. You just can't open a public business and refuse to accommodate people based on your religious intolerance. Sorry guy.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:38 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In other words, what you're saying is that two divorced people of opposite sexes getting married is regarded as less sinful in nature and so easier to forgive and forget than a same sex couple getting married in a wedding.
This is an obfuscation. Typical leftist tactic.

Your free to interpret it that way if you choose. But the Bible calls homosexuality an "abomination" and "detestable" to God. It is a sin against God himself.

Divorce was not condemned in the way homosexuality is, and people did divorce. If you want to make a case of divorce (ridiculous) then you would also have to make the same case for any sin.

But, nice try.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:39 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
It is you playing semantics, DUDE. They were not owned or operated by a church, that is what makes them a christian bakery, not just because the owners are christians. Neo nazis are not a protected group of people and why would they go to a jewish bakery, come on that is just fishing. I am an atheist, does that make my lanscaping maintenance service an atheist one. NO.
I have to disagree with you here. Businesses are incapable of possessing religious beliefs. There is no such thing as a "christian bakery."

It doesn't matter if a bakery that provides wedding cakes for sale to the public- either here in Denver or up in Gresham Oregon - is owned by an atheist, a fundamentalist Christian, the Catholic Church, or the local Mosque; none of them would be allowed refuse to sell their wedding cakes to gay people.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What if you're a nurse and Christianity offends you? Can I say I'm offended and refuse to give you your flu shot? Go somewhere else. No biggie, right?
Sooooo.................crickets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies