Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,236,115 times

Advertisements

People who claim to me a moderate are people who take a liberal stance on some issues and a conservative stance on some issues . They tend to call themselves moderate . Which ver issue is the most important to you is the way a moderate votes.
Foe instance I am stridently anti abortion while being stridently anti death penalty . Being against the death penalty would make one assume I vote liberal . Being anti abortion makes one assume I a, a right winger. So I could call myself a moderate . I consider myself conservative and would vote liberal

Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,692,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
People who claim to me a moderate are people who take a liberal stance on some issues and a conservative stance on some issues . They tend to call themselves moderate . Which ver issue is the most important to you is the way a moderate votes.
Foe instance I am stridently anti abortion while being stridently anti death penalty . Being against the death penalty would make one assume I vote liberal . Being anti abortion makes one assume I a, a right winger. So I could call myself a moderate . I consider myself conservative and would vote liberal
Try being a Constitutionalist and uphold the principles for life, liberty and individual human rights in our founding documents, and you won't be so confused. You already believe in life and liberty, which is why you respect the right to life for the unborn child and oppose the death penalty.

Some of the confusion on where you stand might may be because liberals are always blurring the definition for "conservative."

There are Constitutional conservatives, social, fiscal, religious and even environmental conservatives, all of which are different. For example, a Christian conservative might be in favor of using the power of the federal government to make sweeping national laws to ban abortion, gay marriage and put prayer into our public schools. Meanwhile, a constitutional conservative would oppose them, deferring to the individual states to decide those things on their own.

Many Christian conservatives like a big, all powerful federal government, but they refuse to be democrats because they are pro-life, anti-gay marriage and socially conservative.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,236,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Try being a Constitutionalist and uphold the principles for life, liberty and individual human rights in our founding documents, and you won't be so confused. You already believe in life and liberty, which is why you respect the right to life for the unborn child and oppose the death penalty.

Some of the confusion on where you stand might may be because liberals are always blurring the definition for "conservative."

There are Constitutional conservatives, social, fiscal, religious and even environmental conservatives, all of which are different. For example, a Christian conservative might be in favor of using the power of the federal government to make sweeping national laws to ban abortion, gay marriage and put prayer into our public schools. Meanwhile, a constitutional conservative would oppose them, deferring to the individual states to decide those things on their own.

Many Christian conservatives like a big, all powerful federal government, but they refuse to be democrats because they are pro-life, anti-gay marriage and socially conservative.
I stand with the constitution

Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,702,209 times
I'm not a centrist, necessarily, but I am an independent. I find it a lot more fun and stimulating to make up my own mind on individual issues than to just go with the herd mentality. The drawback is that, no, you may never feel like you have a "place" to call home on the Internet. You just have to live with the fact that you have a mind of your own, which I think is wonderful.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,482,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
To me a moderate is more someone who has mainly moderate views, not so much some liberal views and some conservative views.

I'm mainly pretty conservative, but do have some liberal views on some issues. I don't consider myself a moderate really, maybe sort of, but more because I am in the middle on some issues. People who are strongly opinionated either way on most or all issues aren't moderates, even if the "average" of their views would be moderate.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,302,071 times
I consider myself a right-leaning independent now. I believe our government needs to root out waste, spend less, run more efficiently, and reduce nonsensical regulations that hinder small business and individuals (not eliminate regulations, mind you, some regulations are needed, we just need smart and well thought-out regulations that are effective, enforceable, and do not hinder business and people just for hindrance-sake).

That being said, I think we need to protect our environment for the sake of future generations, that evolution should not be taught in science classes, and that discrimination against ANYONE is wrong should not be allowed in the US.

The problem with people like us, is we are more thoughtful and pragmatic then the extremists on both sides of the political spectrum. We don't think with our emotions, but employ critical thinking, logic, and reason when studying the issues. And we are not married to our positions, if new information comes to light, we tend to reevaluate our position. Extremist tend to ignore any data that doesn't support or that directly contradicts their deeply-held beliefs. Extremist are more passionate, and therefore make the loudest noise, and that means they get all the attention.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 PM

255 posts, read 403,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Why does every position on issues have to be liberal or conservative? Why aren't we allowed any middle ground? If you're against gun control, you're automatically a gun-toting conservative. If you're for it, you're automatically a gun-grabbing liberal. Or taxes, if you're for taxation and regulation, you're automatically a communist-loving liberal, but if you're against taxation and regulation, you're a community-hating liberal.

Ok I admit, on the first issue, I'm pretty far to the right. But on the second (and third?) I'm as close to center as you can get. Some taxation and regulation is necessary, in some places more than others, but there is such thing as too much though it's not the same across the board. On this latter issue, I see this particularly where human-caused global warming is concerned. Any time I or someone brings up the scientific data against AGW, the "attacks" boil down to "you're environment-hating conservatives who want license to pollute, pollute, pollute." Just the opposite is true. I care a lot about the environment, which is part of why I'm so against the AGW crowd, I'm afraid in their attempt to "cool" the planet down, we really will wreck it somehow. I fully support any means to control pollutants, of any kind and don't focus on so-called "greenhouse gases" the way the AGW crowd does.

Moving out of that into something I care very strongly about on a local level, transit. On the flip side of the AGW debate, when I want increased public funding for transit, I must be a communist liberal seeking to destroy private business by forcing everyone out of their cars. Also utterly untrue. My stance is that transit is a public good just like roads, the police, education, etc. and as it is beneficial to everyone and the community, everyone should have a share in it, particularly since private industry is uninterested in running transit and it makes more fiscal sense to put money into the transit than the roads due to the law of diminishing returns.

Why the severe split? Why does everything have to be left or right now? and more importantly, why can't a person be somewhere in the middle? It's not just here of course, I see this from places like the comments on my local newspaper, all the way up to Congress. There's no middle ground anymore!
at this point if you deny AGW then you're just a nut, conservative or centrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies