Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:05 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,916,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Nothing at all, but if I'm a responsible seller and a responsible citizen who doesn't want to sell a criminal a gun, I'm seriously going to have some red flags raise up if you suggest we do business outside the gun show...

However, you'll never stop two criminals buying from and selling to each other.
If there is a fee involved, I'd go somewhere else. How will this be implemented? How long as a seller do I have to hold on to the 4473? Will that open me up to unannounced BATFE searches like FFLs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 04:21 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,646,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Do you consider the so called militia men at Bundys are " not to be considered a serious, responsible firearms owner and user."?
I do not consider that bunch to be representative of responsible, thinking and properly rational members of the shooting community, no. Personally, and most of my shooting peers feel the same way, I have a hard time swallowing the piecemeal cammo, paramilitary types, who are spoiling for an armed confrontation with anyone, let alone the Feds. Does that mean that I support the Feds action in that situation, no, but neither do I believe locking and loading on them is the brightest idea .
Good grief! The hard cores that are left down there are slapping leather(or Kydex) on each other now. This is a minority, fringe bunch. Those of us who seriously train with our firearms, carry with serious, but reserved, intent, compete or even carry on the job do not fancy ourselves footsoldiers. We are NOT spoiling for armed confrontation, far from it, and we don't see the Waffen SS goosestepping down the street every time the cops and the Feds do something stupid, and over step their bounds. That happens a lot, and does need paid attention to, but it doesn't mean deploying like commandos.
You will find that my take is quite common amongst serious, responsible and knowledgeable firearms enthusiasts. If the REAL "shooting crowd" organizes into a militia, things have gotten way serious and somebody is going to get the weenie.

Edit. Upon reflection, I am compelled to ask, what is YOUR image of a responsible gun owner? Most people who favor strict gun control have an image that all gun owners are rabid , wannabe, hard bit soldiers waiting for a war. Where do your perceptions take you?

Last edited by NVplumber; 05-06-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 05:32 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,907,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
If there is a fee involved, I'd go somewhere else. How will this be implemented? How long as a seller do I have to hold on to the 4473? Will that open me up to unannounced BATFE searches like FFLs?
All good questions that I hadn't really considered before. I'm sure these details could be worked out.

Perhaps a special form could be created for private sellers participating in gun shows that wouldn't have to be retained, unlike Form 4473. Instead, they'd have to be destroyed within 24 hours. This would also solve the problem of being open to inspections by the BATFE.

As far as a fee, most gun shows already charge an admittence fee to enter. Perhaps whoever is running the event can arrange to have an ATF booth at the show who's purpose is to run background checks for private sales. This would be at the expense of the event coordinator, who I'm sure would pass the price on to attendees through an increase in the entrance fee. Maybe instead of an ATF booth, a dealer with an FFL license could be contracted to do the job of running the BGC's. Either way, a special form other than the 4473 would have to be created.

If all of that fails, there is of course the nuclear option, which would be to barr private sellers from renting out tables at commercial type events. I don't think we need to do that though, considering there are ways to work this so that private sellers can continue to do business at gun shows and still be required to run their buyers through the BGC system.

Bottom line, commercial events are a more controlable environment and a solution to the lack of background checks on private sales that take place in these venues is workable.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
As a gun owner the Smart Gun is the best weapon to have in high population areas. If stolen can not be used without password or wrist band. If children get their hands on them, cant shoot a playmate, cant shoot themselves.
A)Who in their right mind is going to want to be messing with a password? If you need a weapon it's usually a time sensitive thing, Not only that you do know how many people use 123abc or some other ridiculous password?

B)Where is it you think most people are going to put this bracelet? Again most many situations requiring a weapon are time sensitive, I know I'm not going to put the bracelet in different place.

C)Both of these things can be accomplished with a safe which many gun owners already have.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A)Who in their right mind is going to want to be messing with a password? If you need a weapon it's usually a time sensitive thing, Not only that you do know how many people use 123abc or some other ridiculous password?

B)Where is it you think most people are going to put this bracelet? Again most many situations requiring a weapon are time sensitive, I know I'm not going to put the bracelet in different place.

C)Both of these things can be accomplished with a safe which many gun owners already have.
People are just chock full of misinformation about smart guns. The campaign by the anti 2a politicians behind the push for them is spreading all kinds of it as are anti 2a groups.
All the "I hate guns" I dividuals out there are lapping it all up like barn cats at milking time. Like its a Holy Grail solution to idiot proofing firearms. All this hi tech idiot proofing, and not just for guns, is seriously dumbing people down. The more stupid proof you try to make things the stupider people get. Its amazing. The smarter the technology that gets put in peoples hands, the dumber the human factor becomes.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,028,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
People are just chock full of misinformation about smart guns. The campaign by the anti 2a politicians behind the push for them is spreading all kinds of it as are anti 2a groups.
All the "I hate guns" I dividuals out there are lapping it all up like barn cats at milking time. Like its a Holy Grail solution to idiot proofing firearms. All this hi tech idiot proofing, and not just for guns, is seriously dumbing people down. The more stupid proof you try to make things the stupider people get. Its amazing. The smarter the technology that gets put in peoples hands, the dumber the human factor becomes.
I would still have the old shotgun next to the front door but until my kids are a bit older she is in the gun safe. Not much longer till she returns though.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I would still have the old shotgun next to the front door but until my kids are a bit older she is in the gun safe. Not much longer till she returns though.
I keep my shotgun handy. Its in a fast grab wall rack. The nightstand either has one of my 1911s or my mod 66 357 on it. I actually tend to favor the revolver because its just simpler, and way easier to get moving when one has been woken from blissful sleep. Very slim chance of a sleepy mishap. Lot of trigger to go through. Keep it simple. Use brain. Lol

Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,028,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I keep my shotgun handy. Its in a fast grab wall rack. The nightstand either has one of my 1911s or my mod 66 357 on it. I actually tend to favor the revolver because its just simpler, and way easier to get moving when one has been woken from blissful sleep. Very slim chance of a sleepy mishap. Lot of trigger to go through. Keep it simple. Use brain. Lol
Exactly why we should have em............the bad guys will get em one way or another. I do have my berretta under the mattress just in case. Kids don't know about it....well my oldest does.......but he will be in the same boat soon.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,519,702 times
Ahhh more gun grabbers, just what we need...

Old 05-07-2014, 05:14 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Exactly why we should have em............the bad guys will get em one way or another. I do have my berretta under the mattress just in case. Kids don't know about it....well my oldest does.......but he will be in the same boat soon.
Please, don't assume that kids won't find hidden guns. You can buy a safe for $50 and simply keep it unlocked when you're around and locked when you're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies