Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:36 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Please, don't assume that kids won't find hidden guns. You can buy a safe for $50 and simply keep it unlocked when you're around and locked when you're not.
After my son was about 10, he started competing in pistol . He kept the revolver I lent him in his room with all his "gear" he put together. Lol, he was so proud of his range bag and the old beat up Hunter holster I gave him. He would put snap caps in that big N frame he was using and dry practice for hours.
I then taught him how to reload ammunition, and all the wonders that can open up searching for "the" load. He went to work that summer, doing yard stuff for folks, cleaning stalls, whatever he could get his boy hands on.
He saved enough to come very close to the price of his dream comp gun and I covered the difference as a Xmas present. The rest is history. He's a top dog now in Master/Grand Master class in Steel and high B class in ICORE. A Safe, responsible and dedicated shooter was born.
I don't hold with hiding your guns from your kids. Kids love mysteries and they WILL fi d them. Yes, a safe is a good idea until you get them properly initiated. Keep them locked when they have friends over and such. The big thing is they should not be an enigma. Teach the kids. Don't keep them in ignorance and dangle a mystery in front of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
After my son was about 10, he started competing in pistol . He kept the revolver I lent him in his room with all his "gear" he put together. Lol, he was so proud of his range bag and the old beat up Hunter holster I gave him. He would put snap caps in that big N frame he was using and dry practice for hours.
I then taught him how to reload ammunition, and all the wonders that can open up searching for "the" load. He went to work that summer, doing yard stuff for folks, cleaning stalls, whatever he could get his boy hands on.
He saved enough to come very close to the price of his dream comp gun and I covered the difference as a Xmas present. The rest is history. He's a top dog now in Master/Grand Master class in Steel and high B class in ICORE. A Safe, responsible and dedicated shooter was born.
I don't hold with hiding your guns from your kids. Kids love mysteries and they WILL fi d them. Yes, a safe is a good idea until you get them properly initiated. Keep them locked when they have friends over and such. The big thing is they should not be an enigma. Teach the kids. Don't keep them in ignorance and dangle a mystery in front of them.
Unfortunately, this sad example of misguided overconfidence is emulated way too often...

Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Perhaps a special form could be created for private sellers participating in gun shows that wouldn't have to be retained, unlike Form 4473. Instead, they'd have to be destroyed within 24 hours. This would also solve the problem of being open to inspections by the BATFE.
I'm against forms in the hands of another person even if they can be destroyed within 48 hours. Who is going to make the call to the BATFE? Will it be a phone app? How will you keep it from being abused? I'm not giving out my SSN. The other option is a search on name/DOB/current city. Then what stops me from checking the criminal history of my neighbor without his knowledge. I know his age. I know he had a birthday on Saturday due to the sign in the yard and the number of people he had over.

Quote:
As far as a fee, most gun shows already charge an admittence fee to enter. Perhaps whoever is running the event can arrange to have an ATF booth at the show who's purpose is to run background checks for private sales. This would be at the expense of the event coordinator, who I'm sure would pass the price on to attendees through an increase in the entrance fee. Maybe instead of an ATF booth, a dealer with an FFL license could be contracted to do the job of running the BGC's. Either way, a special form other than the 4473 would have to be created.
That's additional ATF resources or making them work on weekends. There is at least one if not more gun shows in the state every weekend from Jan 1 until October.

I know a few FFLs that have no problem doing transfers for a fee that ranges from $20 per gun to $100 per gun but they don't do gun shows because their margins are so small. My guy runs his operation out of his garage after his normal job ends. He's basically a drop-off for guns bought over the internet.

Quote:
If all of that fails, there is of course the nuclear option, which would be to barr private sellers from renting out tables at commercial type events. I don't think we need to do that though, considering there are ways to work this so that private sellers can continue to do business at gun shows and still be required to run their buyers through the BGC system.
What about guys just walking around with a gun and a For Sale sign? That's what I did the last time I sold a few guns. I had a little interest for other individuals but an FFL gave me the best price.

I still can't figure out the difference between sales between individuals at a gun show and other places. A gun show just brings buyers and sellers together. The classifieds in the newspaper does the same thing. I just checked and there's a Browning bolt action rifle listed in the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

Quote:
Bottom line, commercial events are a more controlable environment and a solution to the lack of background checks on private sales that take place in these venues is workable.
Locally, if you ban face to face sales in a gun show, they will move to the parking lot. Run them off of the parking lot and they will set up shop across the street. Anytime there are buyers and sellers in the same area, a transaction will take place. Just look at the gun buy backs. More and more people show up to buy and pay a better price than the local PD.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Unfortunately, this sad example of misguided overconfidence is emulated way too often...

What are you talking about? A father installed principles of safety in his son and he now competes professionally. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM

4,146 posts, read 2,842,214 times
Quote:
I agree with this 100 percent.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,390,380 times
Quote:
That's great that your son is an expert with firearms. That means he's not likely to ACCIDENTALLY shoot someone.

But it doesn't tell us anything about his capacity to inflict INTENTIONAL violence. I don't have to tell you how volatile adolescents are- and some psychologists now consider adolescents to range from nine to 29. I wonder how many "junior shooting champ" trophies there are in the mass-shooters' backgrounds? Most certainly display an impressive familiarity, if not proficiency, with the weapons used in the assaults.

I know, I know- YOUR kid would NEVER do anything like that. Your NEIGHBOR'S kid... Now HIM you're not so sure about... See what I mean?

I'm not saying you shouldn't teach your kids to shot, or at least respect firearms, if there are guns in the house. MAYBE it would help prevent accidents. But I don't think we know what effect it has on gun violence. Maybe if the NRA allowed our reps to vote funding for studies, we'd have a better idea. (Maybe that's what they're afraid of).

In every incident of gun violence: homicide, assault, accident, or suicide, there is only one common denominator- the gun.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
In every incident of gun violence: homicide, assault, accident, or suicide, there is only one common denominator- the gun.
In every incidence of <insert anything here> the common denominator is <insert anything here>.

You cannot protect people from every possible danger whether it's a car, knife, gun, bicycle, skateboard etc.

As far as someone getting an unattended weapon tell me what the smart gun can accomplish that a safe cannot?

Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
As I said, and really been proven by the responses in this thread, the goal is not gun control but gun elimination.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,746,808 times
Quote:
That's great that your son is an expert with firearms. That means he's not likely to ACCIDENTALLY shoot someone.

But it doesn't tell us anything about his capacity to inflict INTENTIONAL violence. I don't have to tell you how volatile adolescents are- and some psychologists now consider adolescents to range from nine to 29. I wonder how many "junior shooting champ" trophies there are in the mass-shooters' backgrounds? Most certainly display an impressive familiarity, if not proficiency, with the weapons used in the assaults.

I know, I know- YOUR kid would NEVER do anything like that. Your NEIGHBOR'S kid... Now HIM you're not so sure about... See what I mean?

I'm not saying you shouldn't teach your kids to shot, or at least respect firearms, if there are guns in the house. MAYBE it would help prevent accidents. But I don't think we know what effect it has on gun violence. Maybe if the NRA allowed our reps to vote funding for studies, we'd have a better idea. (Maybe that's what they're afraid of).

I every incident of violence,homicide, assault, accident, or suicide there is only one common denominator, human beings...This idea that some how the gun is responsible or the cause of it.

The CDC already did such test, they prove every leftist talking point wrong, strangely the media did not report on that fact...

Old 05-07-2014, 02:00 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
So if someone accidentally drowns, is that water violence? If someone purposely overdoses on pills, is that medication violence? Just because a gun is used doesn't make it violence. If I use a gun in self defense, I'm trying to stop violence against me or my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies