Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a prostitute be allowed to discriminate against a member of the same sex?
yes 61 87.14%
no 9 12.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 05:05 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
If it's a legal business, no. If it's personal, non-business, yes.

P.S. I'm a liberal.
your answer told me that infinitely more the your "P.S. I'm a liberal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 07:35 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Depends..... legalization of prostitution doesn't equate to a prostitution operating as a business entity (w/ tax exemptions). Laws in this case are hypothetical. Private entities can operate exclusively.

There are many cases in which services are simply not offered due to the fundamentals of the business and limitations. Women only gyms, for example, are treated as a privacy issue, fundamental to their business, and no alternative. There are many other examples of gender specific businesses and services. The intent is fundamental to their business not driven by biases against gender (race, etc..)

Hypothetically, a heterosexual prostitute (assuming operating as a business entity) can refuse service to same sex simply because it is a service they are incapable of providing. The same would apply to other gender identities. To prove discrimination, you would need to show that the intent was driven because the prostitute's prejudicial biases.

I'm support sex worker rights from primarily a rights issue (domain over body, privacy, right to choose) and safety. Yes an interesting question but I've never met an LGBT person who would actively be interested in sex with another against that person's sexual identity... kinda sounds silly to me.

A more interesting question in my mind would be framed around that of heterosexual male of a certain race by a heterosexual female... that is more likely to be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies