Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No it doesn't.
Harrier agrees that President George W. Bush was not the first Hispanic president, but Harrier was responding to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I wonder what race "hispanics" are? Because if Obama started speaking Spanish he would be a "hispanic" right?
President Bush spoke fluent Spanish, and MiamiRob seems to think that speaking Spanish makes a person Hispanic.

MiamiRob must think that Harrier is Hispanic, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 01:33 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier agrees that President George W. Bush was not the first Hispanic president, but Harrier was responding to this post:

President Bush spoke fluent Spanish, and MiamiRob seems to think that speaking Spanish makes a person Hispanic.

MiamiRob must think that Harrier is Hispanic, also.
Hispanic by definition means 1. Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.

2. Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.

so, Rob is right.

People on this site seem to be confusing Hispanic and Latino.

Latino = ethnicity

Hispanic = Regional and cultural identifier

All Latinos are Hispanic , but not all Hispanics are Latino.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Considering that both Cruz and Rubio are amongst the possible candidates for 2016, do you think the fact they are not anglo would create any kind of controversy to GOP voters?
Absolutely no problems what so ever..I don't think there is hardly a person alive that would not vote for a candidate because he/she is Hispanic. Now, some might not vote for the candidate if their views were biased against Anglos.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
We've had a "Hispanic" surgeon general, why not?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
10 years from now...."Is America ready for a gay president" or lesbian?
20 years from now ... "Is America ready for a transgender president?".

Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Absolutely no problems what so ever..I don't think there is hardly a person alive that would not vote for a candidate because he/she is Hispanic. Now, some might not vote for the candidate if their views were biased against Anglos.
Or if that Hispanic candidate were to be pro-amnesty for illegal aliens based on ethnic ties to them. Take a look at where nearly every Hispanic politician stands on that issue. Luis Guiterrez comes to mind just for starters with that typical tribal mentality that is not only racist but not in this nation's interest nor it's citizen's as a whole. He salivates over increasing the Hispanic population in this country so that they have more power politically and culturally. No thanks!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:49 AM

679 posts, read 614,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
10 years from now...."Is America ready for a gay president" or lesbian?
20 years from now ... "Is America ready for a transgender president?".
Yeah, for 10 years from now there would need to be a homosexual candidate that is fairly well known and moving up in popularity now. Maybe there is but I don't see anyone on the horizon just yet. That doesn't mean that I don't think America would be against it, I just don't see any prospective people to fill that possibility. Now push that out to 20 years and I can imagine that someone should have come along by then that could fit the bill.

As for transgender, in 20 years Generation X will be just be starting to retire, Millenials will be in their 40's or so. I think that while their mindsets are much more progressive than those before them, there is still a gap in the acceptance of transgenders that may have been filled by then, but I'm going to guess that it probably still won't be ready.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think that if the GOP sends up a Hispanic candidate and they get in office, then conservatives will spend the entire 4-8 years he's in office insisting that it proves that they're not racist, and that the Democrats are the REAL racists because they didn't vote for him (even though they accused "The Liberals" of doing just that with Obama's being elected).

I think that during the Republican Primaries, their rivals' campaigns would probably try to invoke anti-Latino feelings about them in an effort to sway opinion towards an Anglo candidate, but if they managed to get through the gauntlet and become the candidate, then it would be verboten to say anything of the sort publicly.

If a Hispanic Democrat got sent up as candidate, then it would be like the birther scandal x 25,000,000. They'd get referred to as an "illegal president," YouTube "documentaries" would purport to have all sorts of evidence that they were born in Mexico and brought over illegally by parents that mooched off the system, they'd crack jokes about the White House becoming a Taco Bell (remember the "Black House" jokes when Obama first got elected?) and you'd see hard-hitting questions such as "will they serve burritos on Air Force One now?" or "If he's in office, who will mow the White House lawn?" pop up all over the internet on political forums like these.

Talk about Racism in congress.

Days after Obama won in 2008, Harry Reid comes out and talks about Obama being able to articulate so well for a Black guy.

I don't think it is so much a party problem on either side. It is an individual problem seen over and over.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Hispanic by definition means 1. Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.

2. Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.

so, Rob is right.

People on this site seem to be confusing Hispanic and Latino.

Latino = ethnicity

Hispanic = Regional and cultural identifier

All Latinos are Hispanic , but not all Hispanics are Latino.
I think you have this reversed. Not all Latinos are Hispanic. Brazilians are 100% under the definition of Latino and they are definitely NOT Hispanic. To be Hispanic you have to have an ethnic connection to the Spanish language. To be Latino you have to have an ethnic connection to any of the Latin derived languages, such as Spanish, Portugese, French, Italian, etc.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:54 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Face it, the Republican ideology is THE problem for the GOP. The fact that the Hispanic candidate is a REPUBLICAN instantly slams his credibility rendering his race irrelevant.

The GOP needs to start over. Bigots don't belong in the White House.

I see you agree, race is irrelevant within the Republican party.

The Democrat party, race is relevant and always on the front burner.

No, we are no longer Americans, we are separated into groups, to pick the winners and losers.
Government equality has never been worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies