Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 PM

46,987 posts, read 26,047,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So, it would seem that some states have laws, then, that are in violation of the First Amendment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
[SIZE=+1]Whatsoever is lawful in the Commonwealth or permitted to the subject in the ordinary way cannot be forbidden to him for religious uses; and whatsoever is prejudicial to the Commonwealth in their ordinary uses and, therefore, prohibited by the laws, ought not to be permitted to churches in their sacred rites. [/SIZE]
The First isn't absolute.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:29 PM

18,465 posts, read 7,105,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I'm sorry you don't understand the difference. It has been explained over and over on these threads. Hatred and discrimination is not protected. Your personal beliefs are protected insofar as you do not trample on the rights of others.
The problem with the concept of "hatred" not being protected is that you convienently set yourself up as the arbiter of what constitutes "hate".

I can disagree with the morality of another's lifestyle, even to the point that I would refuse to do business with them.
But that does not necessarily mean that I hate them.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Because you're providing a service, and you can't deny your service using religion as an excuse.

Here is an extreme case of what happens when people deny services to those they are bigotted against.

Tyra Hunter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically speaking, police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, nurses, and doctors that were involved denied their service to the transgendered person, leaving her to bleed to death.

Ask yourself this question. Do you really want to go down this route?

Added by edit.

Go ahead and invoke religion to defend bigotry.
I had never heard of Tyra's heartbreaking story. Wow, how callous and uncaring some people can be.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,609,648 times
Quote:
Believing homosexuality is wrong, and against the teaching of ones faith, is not bigotry. Homosexuality is sinful behavior. I do not give up my right to religious liberty based on someones claim that they "were born this way." Homosexuality is a sin against society, it is debauchery and it is a perversion. No law can force me to be a party to something my faith tells me I should not take part in.
If you open a business, then you agree to serve people equally. Obviously you aren't going to understand this very simple thing, but hey, I'll give the ole college try. You say "Homosexuality is a sin against society, it is debauchery and it is a perversion. No law can force me to be a party to something my faith tells me I should not take part in." In your personal life, this is true, however, if you open a business that is open to the PUBLIC, then you must follow any applicable laws. If you don't want to follow said laws, then don't open a business. Is it really that hard to understand? No one forces you to open a business, you do that on your own, so therefore, you are choosing to serve the public. Again, don't want to? Don't open a business. It is up to you, no forcing going on.

To the people who like to say things like," Would you make a Jew bake a nazi cake?" Well, no, not unless they bake nazi cakes already. A business that sells WEDDING cakes to straight couples should also sell WEDDING cakes to same-sex couples, as they normally sell WEDDING cakes. Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you don't want to be in a position where you may have to "violate" your beliefs, don't open a business to the public. If you don't understand now then you are either trolling for arguments, or you are purposefully naive.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:03 PM

29,607 posts, read 16,586,021 times
Quote:
No. You are interpreting it that way (incorrectly). They are being asked to supply there craft, their talent, for an event they find repugnant, and which violates the teachings of their faith. That is not refusing to "server"; it is a refusal to be used, to become an active participant in, and complicit in the sin and debauchery of unbelievers, which the bible specifically tells us to have nothing to do with. Ephesians 5:7 "... do not be partners with them." (referring to those engaged in sinful behavior).
Im not misinterpreting anything. i have a video of Arizona business owners right here who show it is specifically about gay people.

Business owner: Ariz. bill not about "gays vs religion" - YouTube

Like i said, its cherry picking because of bigotry of gay people. Not simply wanting to participate in sin because all people are sinners in Christianity.

Also, there is a longer version of this interview, but i couldnt find it so i just posted this one.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 PM

27,169 posts, read 15,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You have the right to happiness, so yea, technically you do as long as you

1. Pay for it

2. come in during business hours.

You have the right to pursue that and it is up to you, not anyone else.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,030,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
We have a right to not be discriminated against by business owners using their religion, much like blacks have the right to not be descriminated against by business owners, or Jews, or Mexicans, or Asians, on and on. Why should business owners be allowed to use their religion to discriminate, period?
Problem is YOU think if anything bad happens to YOU then you think it's because your gay. Maybe your just an azz? I run a business I can say get the hell out................azz. They you go scream discrimination like you have been taught.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Oh, please. That still doesn't mean that the government should force someone to sin because, after all, there is no one else! The government should stay out of it. We are supposed to have "separation of Church and State." Remember? The First Amendment was established to protect the Church first, from government intrusion into the affairs of the Church.
Not according to liberals. They despise the church..............normal democrats of course make up most of the weekly attendees.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
So, screw the First Amendment ... right? Screw religious liberty.

I wonder how that will work when it's a Muslim business that comes under attack? It seems the only religion that is regularly under attack by leftists, and our government, is Christianity. Nobody dares challenge Islam.
True............problem is liberals have been trained to think all republicans are christians so they despise christians. It is brain damage.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
Yes ....I agree.... doing the right thing at all cost is a lost virtue....How many would put their life on the line in the cause of good?
Our soldiers do every day. Sad thing is they don't know what they are fighting for anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies