Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
The question is that when labor saving machines and computers begin to take those manufacturing and some of those service jobs where will the under utilized labor go?
As long as those still working are willing to pay for them to sit home without a job, then that's what they'll do.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:19 AM

28,921 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
This is not a revolutionary idea; it has been going on for decades. This is typical of Bill Gates, coming to the party late, lol. What most people don't take into account in their "mental models" are what effects the advent of advanced AIs will have on the world in 30-40 years. The changes that will be brought about in finance, production, problem-solving, innovation, equality/inequality, and resource allocation is going to drastically change how the world fundamentally works.

People were predicting this way before Bill Gates did...

Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
When we went from 80% farm employment to 2% if freed up labor to move to the manufacturing and service sector, which is why we have so much more stuff then in the 1870s. The question is that when labor saving machines and computers begin to take those manufacturing and some of those service jobs where will the under utilized labor go?
That, Egbert, is the question of the hour. And I have the answer.

All that underutilized labor is going to go to the same place that elevator operators, telephone operators, telegraph agents, men with shovels displaced by earthmovers, file clerks displaced by digital records, TV repairmen, slide rule mathematicians, ditch diggers, pole climbers, etc. etc. went: to new and undreamed of pursuits.

In 1900 when over 90% of farm labor was about to become surplus, did ANYONE imagine the jobs that would be available in the 1920's and the 40's and the 60's? Why then do we need to be able to picture the jobs of 2020 and 2040 in order to believe in a better future?

The only way a new age of innovation and dynamic change could be thwarted is through some social engineering scheme that loses faith in human ingenuity and starts paying people just for breathing and breeding. This is a real threat: some of these types are already here, posting on C-D.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Bill Gates is working on skynet right now.

Every time someone says we need to raise the minimum wage I will just link to this article.
Here`s another good link you might want to send to your friends.
6 Reasons Conservative Ron Unz Wants to Raise the Minimum Wage to $12 An Hour | Alternet

Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I like the automation myself.
Self checkouts are now even going beyond the 10-15 item limit.
And the fresh fruit/vegetable section lets you print out the total sticker at the scale in my supermarket.
I'd rather checkout myself and pack myself because it's quite convenient.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

All that underutilized labor is going to go to the same place that elevator operators, telephone operators, telegraph agents, men with shovels displaced by earthmovers, file clerks displaced by digital records, TV repairmen, slide rule mathematicians, ditch diggers, pole climbers, etc. etc. went: to new and undreamed of pursuits.

In 1900 when over 90% of farm labor was about to become surplus, did ANYONE imagine the jobs that would be available in the 1920's and the 40's and the 60's? Why then do we need to be able to picture the jobs of 2020 and 2040 in order to believe in a better future?

The only way a new age of innovation and dynamic change could be thwarted is through some social engineering scheme that loses faith in human ingenuity and starts paying people just for breathing and breeding. This is a real threat: some of these types are already here, posting on C-D.
Maybe, maybe not. Its possible that goods we now consider luxuries will become more common place, but the thing is we have a lot of goods as it is. You might disagree, but I would see the ideal of new innovation as resulting in a society that focuses more on promoting work life balance and quality of life over productivity, but that would seem to be directly at odds with capitalism which rewards productivity in businesses above all.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. Its possible that goods we now consider luxuries will become more common place, but the thing is we have a lot of goods as it is. You might disagree, but I would see the ideal of new innovation as resulting in a society that focuses more on promoting work life balance and quality of life over productivity, but that would seem to be directly at odds with capitalism which rewards productivity in businesses above all.
Oh, Egbert, I hope we can be that wise!

I do believe that work/life balance is a battle fought on the individual level, not the societal level--like the battles against alcohol abuse or drug abuse. The same technology that I use to create an integrated life of balance is used by others to create an "always-on" 24/7 existence. Ubiquitous computers and communications enable work-from-home and work-from-paradise for me, allowing for the capture and personal use of commuting time and the sense of being on vacation after 5 PM and on weekends. Meanwhile I have peers that NEVER disconnect. Individual battles, not societal.

But consider that many of us have shirt-pocket devices that connect us to virtually all of the wisdom and knowledge of the world, and yet the main actual use of these devices is to watch cat videos and argue with strangers!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

Walmart

Old 03-19-2014, 09:49 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Here`s another good link you might want to send to your friends.
6 Reasons Conservative Ron Unz Wants to Raise the Minimum Wage to $12 An Hour | Alternet
Of course a higher federally mandated minimum wage is a good idea. Firing half the workers and replacing them with robotics will make life a lot less stressful.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Maybe people will finally realize that technology advancements were never for people to become rich. It was to improve the life on longevity of the human race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies