Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
historically, technology has never been correlated with increased unemployment. Look at the transition from horse to car that occurred in the US from about 1925-1945. Millions of jobs as farriers, harness-makers, etc. were destroyed.

If an 18 year old in 1930 decided to follow his dad into the farrier trade, he was in for a rude awakening. However, millions of jobs in Detroit, as well as mechanics, auto insurance agents, gas station clerks, car salesmen, car wash attendants....list goes on...were created, as if out of thin air.
And here we are and despite having more people and cars, we do not need as many humans to design, build, sell, insure , service, gas or wash them.

We cannot even begin to imagine future innovations and the impact.
Right now, we are stuck in the meantime.... and so we blame.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Well as a non genocidal type, im going to pull the idea of killing off 80% of the population that you seem fond of right off the table.

Then look at things like:
sustainable underground living
sustainable aboveground living
arcologies (look it up if you're unfamiliar with the term, its actually fascinating)
expansion to other planets and orbiting structures

And later into ideas like non substrate based intelligence.
Where did I say that? I said that the liberals believe that we are causing GW so the only solution to save the planet that they worship above all else is to remove that which they hate the most, other people.

Myself? I think GW is a bunch of baloney, but I am opposed to shipping free food to people who cannot feed themselves generation after generation. One day someone has to wake up to the fact that we are just making their situation worse.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 PM

679 posts, read 615,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Where did I say that? I said that the liberals believe that we are causing GW so the only solution to save the planet that they worship above all else is to remove that which they hate the most, other people.

Myself? I think GW is a bunch of baloney, but I am opposed to shipping free food to people who cannot feed themselves generation after generation. One day someone has to wake up to the fact that we are just making their situation worse.
Actually I'm fairly certain that I've heard tons of suggestions on how to counteract AGW and never have I heard mass-genocide being used as an answer.

As for the feeding others, that's why lots and lots of science is being conducted trying to create wheat and grains and what not that will grow in horrible locations. That way no one has to starve. And denying starving people food because it might make it a little worse maybe, is a pretty bad reason to do so.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:03 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're thinking wrong, do you really think the hand of a surgeon can be as precise as a robot? The only thing the mass produced robots are missing is the intelligence and that is not too far off in the distance. You only need to look as far as Watson on Jeopardy to see the future, if you understand the technology behind Watson you'd also realize what an incredible amount of AI that is required.
This is one of the absolute stupidest posts I have ever heard. The most pathetic attempt at fear mongering I have read and it isn't even politics based.

The day that humans trust machines to cut them open and perform surgeries on them is looooooooong way off. Get YOUR thinking right.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. wishful thinking. Japans been creating robots to help the elderly for a while now. IBM's watson is being developed to do pharmaceuticals, and diagnostics.
It is posts like these that remind me of how .......... "different" the people posting in this forum are.

Very very very different.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
That is why I and millions of other young people in America have tailored our education to focus on the healthcare field. We see it as the one sole industry that machines can't take away from us.

Well that and plumbers....

Healthcare seems a safe bet for the next 30 years+/-, given the size of the baby boom generation. It's likely where I would focus, if I were young.

Then again, eliminate Payroll Taxes as Gates suggested, to encourage employers to keep the human drag on productivity, means Social Security and Medicare fail. And most adult children become the primary caregivers to their aging and failing parents.

My personal Plan B is to become a convicted felon so I will get 3 hots and a cot and medical care.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:07 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well one thing is machines breaks down and need to have tech support and maintenance done by humans if they fail so a job in those fields and also a job in the skilled trades is where it is at right now since Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic can make a lot of money and when a truck or heavy machinery breaks down there are only a handful of people who can work on them and they are in demand and the job is one that won't be going anywhere even if busses and 18-wheelers drive themselves they still need to marinated and fixed by a human.

As for 3D printers it means that small business can prototype and get manufacturing down to a smaller scale and all you have to do is think of t something that has not been invented that well be major breakthrough and sell a lot of units as long as you have the patent to it you are set.

Plus all it means is we will have to adapt to major changes and new markets and jobs will be created that we never even thought about before.

The problem is these jobs that only skilled humans can do are the last refuge for displaced workers.

As an auto mechanic, I see more and more people coming into the field from other areas and driving down the prevailing wages.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The problem is these jobs that only skilled humans can do are the last refuge for displaced workers.

As an auto mechanic, I see more and more people coming into the field from other areas and driving down the prevailing wages.
Precisely. Those few occupations that are safe from automation, for the near term anyway, aren't safe from the market becoming flooded as those displaced move into those occupations, whatever that occupation may be. Thus, no occupation will be safe from the impact of this. Sure, some will still be working, but with downward pressure on salary and working conditions.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 PM

679 posts, read 615,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
This is one of the absolute stupidest posts I have ever heard. The most pathetic attempt at fear mongering I have read and it isn't even politics based.

The day that humans trust machines to cut them open and perform surgeries on them is looooooooong way off. Get YOUR thinking right.
What's a loooooooong way off? Because depending on the development of AI technologies, I'd put it at 20 years, maybe less.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxxL0EcpvdQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies