Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 PM

29,609 posts, read 16,598,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
People don't want to elect another President Obama and that is exactly what Hillary Clinton or whoever else the Dems can find in their weak field of candidates would be.
What exactly would a strong field of Democrats be to you ?

I want names, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,455,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Predictably (at least it was to me), pressure is beginning to heat up among liberals who want two older Supreme Court justices to retire so that Obama can pick their successors before the 2016 election. From the article:

In a Reuters interview late on Tuesday, she vowed to resist any pressure to retire that might come from liberals who want to ensure that Democratic President Barack Obama can pick her successor before the November 2016 presidential election.

More here: Exclusive: Supreme Court's Ginsburg vows to resist pressure to retire | Reuters
Very selfish on her part. She needs to do the right thing and retire. She is going to selfishly hold on for 2 years for what? To cede the court to Republican appointees for another generation?

I respect her but I don't respect this decision whatsoever.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,737,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The above is true, but you are putting it out of context. I dont think either of those picks actually got a vote,but with the Surgeon General, they were talking about 6 to 10 Democrats pealing away. That still means 49 to 45 Democrats where still with him.

Debo did get a vote and was voted down:

Quote:
The rejection of Debo Adegbile in a 47-52 vote marks the first time that the Senate has thwarted one of Obama’s nominees since Democrats changed filibuster rules in November — a historic change that was supposed to make it easier for the majority party to move nominations.
Democrats help block Obama

45-49 being with Obama doesn't do any good. He has to get 51 votes to get anyone confirmed. And that's after the Dems changing the rules.

50 votes is a loss.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The above is true, but you are putting it out of context. I dont think either of those picks actually got a vote,but with the Surgeon General, they were talking about 6 to 10 Democrats pealing away. That still means 49 to 45 Democrats where still with him.
What you get is just enough to show that the support isn't there. Are you saying that no matter who he picks he is guaranteed full support?

If so....well I don't know. The GOP helped end one of Bush's nominee's. This isn't a conspiritorial idea.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:57 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,737,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Very selfish on her part. She needs to do the right thing and retire. She is going to selfishly hold on for 2 years for what? To cede the court to Republican appointees for another generation?

I respect her but I don't respect this decision whatsoever.
The Supreme Court is not a political body. She was appointed for life, she can choose if she wants to go or not. I think it's incredibly selfish for the Dems to try to force her out. She's not the head of the DNC, she's a Supreme Court justice.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:12 PM

57,421 posts, read 26,319,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
? Do you really think people don't know the outcome of the "last few" presidential elections? Or are you saying you don't?
They won the popular vote in 1 election in the last 6, my question is what is going to make them win this time around, what is their message, who is their candidate. I don't think people realize how lopsided it has been due to GW's two terms.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They won the popular vote in 1 election in the last 6, my question is what is going to make them win this time around, what is their message, who is their candidate. I don't think people realize how lopsided it has been due to GW's two terms.
Obama's has been nothing to brag about. This is the sad part. Both parties when gave the oppertunity to lead blow it.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 PM

29,609 posts, read 16,598,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Debo did get a vote and was voted down:

Democrats help block Obama

45-49 being with Obama doesn't do any good. He has to get 51 votes to get anyone confirmed. And that's after the Dems changing the rules.

50 votes is a loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What you get is just enough to show that the support isn't there. Are you saying that no matter who he picks he is guaranteed full support?

If so....well I don't know. The GOP helped end one of Bush's nominee's. This isn't a conspiritorial idea.

The comment I responded to didnt seem to be about getting something/someone passed, but rather dissension withing the ranks to the point where it looks like the support is split.

10 out of 55 is not dissension to me. That was my point.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:27 PM

78,571 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The way it's going i don't think they have to worry about a republican president in 2016.
Yeah. Hillary is undefeatable....unless the GOP can come up with a smooth talking, unexperienced jr. senator that says nice things about everyone and plays middle of the road while just generally being charming.

She's old and has no charisma.

Seriously, have you paid no attention to what wins the presidency the last 40+ years or so since TV became widespread?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:33 PM

45,256 posts, read 26,510,497 times
It hardly matters who sits on the court, both left and right justices have wiped their heinies with the constitution. Look at the so called conservative chief justice who handed obamacare to this admin. on a silver platter.
But boy it sure is fun pretending it matters lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies