Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times

Advertisements

as i said before, tkirk, its the old white conservative males who are the ones to blame on this one. they hold these frats and sororities hostage and threaten to withdraw funding if they admit blacks.

its the white conservative male who is at fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Freedom has a price for some.

The black frat & soror, don't let white people apply. Never have.
They are private associations. They get no federal, state, or local tax dollars.
It is not a business.

The right to assemble, is a valuable right to have. It is not a privilege.
The bold is a lie. The black frats and soro's let who ever wants to apply.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
as i said before, tkirk, its the old white conservative males who are the ones to blame on this one. they hold these frats and sororities hostage and threaten to withdraw funding if they admit blacks.

its the white conservative male who is at fault.
NO, its the older generation in general, not just the males, and some times,not just the white ones.

When this story first came out about a year ago, the girls at one sorority wanted to admit 2 african american girls, but were told not to by the older alums.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Greek groups are ridiculous and a waste of time anyway. And I'm saying this as a sorority alumna.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:15 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKIRK1960 View Post
The Final Barrier: 50 years later, segregation still exists

By any measure, this candidate was what most universities would consider a prime recruit for any organization, sorority or otherwise. She had a 4.3 GPA in high school, was salutatorian of her graduating class and comes from a family with deep roots in local and state public service and a direct link to The University of Alabama.
The recruit, who asked to remain anonymous, seemed like the perfect sorority pledge on paper, yet didn’t receive a bid from any of the 16 Panhellenic sororities during formal recruitment. Gotz and others said they know why: The recruit is black. She and at least one other black woman, who wished to remain anonymous for fear of personal safety, went through formal recruitment this year, but neither was offered a bid.

Gotz was the one to openly question the motives behind executive members and alumnae of Alpha Gamma Delta as to why they dropped the black student that she and others wanted to become a pledge.
“It was just like a big elephant in the room,†Gotz said. “So I raised my hand.â€
In response, Gotz said alumnae in the room cited the chapter’s letter of recommendation requirements as a reason for the potential new member’s removal. Active sorority members then began standing up to voice support for the recruit and challenge alumnae decisions, Gotz said.
“It was just so cool to see everyone willing to take this next step and be the sorority that took a black girl and not care,†Gotz said. “You know, I would say there were probably five people in the room that disagreed with everything that was being said. The entire house wanted this girl to be in Alpha Gam. We were just powerless over the alums.â€

The Tri Delta member said the student’s “excellent scores,†influential family and “awesome resume†would have made her a more-than-qualified candidate for Panhellenic recruitment and would have ensured her a bid from a sorority if she wasn’t black.
“Not a lot of rushees get awesome scores,†the Tri Delta member said. “Sometimes sisters [of active members] don’t get that. [She] got excellent scores. The only thing that kept her back was the color of her skin in Tri Delt. She would have been a dog fight between all the sororities if she were white.â€

The Crimson White | The Final Barrier: 50 years later, segregation still exists

So it seems that the students themselves aren't the ignorant, racist bigots; it's the so called adults. Guess these old racists have decided that these young White Folk are too naive to realize the dangers of mixin' with the "Blacks."
What type of power do the alumnae have that they can they can override near unanimous decisions by students. Seems to me if all else fails they could have quit the fraternity to make a point.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
In other words, racism is ok by you?
No. I pick and chose my battles to maximize the most optimal results.

I could care less about whether Buffy and Muffy Snottyspoon want women of color in their sorority. A black co-ed would benefit much more from the powerful legacy of the "Divine Nine" than she would from the white sororities which have no use beyond the 4 year college experience. With black sororities women are sorors and sisters for LIFE. The connection amongst black sorors is generational and the bond is far deeper than an member of a white sorority could even hope to imagine.

White girls at the University of Alabama can keep their glorified bake sale/ski trip/frat boy 'd' chasing social clubs because black women have the more powerful organizations in our fraternities and sororities.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Greek groups are ridiculous and a waste of time anyway. And I'm saying this as a sorority alumna.

Never seen a black greek and I have never seen a black member of the Masons, or Skull & Bones.

Like I said, there are many organizations that don't allow "white"

Rosemont College: Organization of African American Students

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. | Xi Beta Chapter, Stanford University

PHI BETA SIGMA: HOMEPAGE

Lambda Tau Chapter

http://www.ube.org/main.html

http://www.bignet.org/

Black Cultural Center - Welcome to the Black Cultural Center

Stanford Black Graduate Students Assocation

THE CIRCLE ASSOCIATION

NAACP | National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

NBCDI |

https://uwf.collegiatelink.net/organization/aasauwf

African American Association

Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times
I've met two Black Masons. In fact, I learned just about every thing I know about the Free Masons from one of them. Racism and discrimination doesn't fit in with the Free Masons' outlook.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times

still cant post a policy saying they dont admit whites because you have none.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:51 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKIRK1960 View Post
Quitting would have been a stupid move. Not only do racists eliminate the Black applicants they also get to eliminate any White person who sees the quality of the applicants and not their skin color.
If there were that many in favor of admitting the girl then they should have made a statement rather than let some old white racist dictate standards. Indifference or lack of protest allows these people to exist in the first place.

The girl who was denied should be happy she didn't become a member of that sorority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies