Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:51 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,403 times

Advertisements

There is NOTHING wrong with using "Black" to describe a person.

Make a change, follow these simple rules:

1. Dont use "American"

It is wrong to assume and call black people "African Americans" because for one, you are assuming their nationality as being "American". How can you know this unless you ask them first? What if they are visiting from France or Dominican republic? They can be from Canada here on business. Its wrong to assume people.

Boom, proof for you idiots that demand a resource (not that it matters because this discussion is logical) 'An African American', or 'a black'? - POLITICO.com
2. Dont use "African"

The truth is that we are all descendants from Africa. Research it for yourself, there have been mDNA studies performed and migration patterns studied that make this a fact. So you cannot assume that a black person is african. Black people (including dark aboriginals & natives) have lived in many continents and countries for thousands of years.

Boom, more Proof: Actionbioscience | Mitochondrial DNA Clarifies Human Evolution

3. If you must know, just ASK. Dont Assume.

So in closing, Black people live in almost every country & part of the world. If you really need to know where a black person is from (dont see why you would) then just ask the person.

Americans just need to step off this "political correctness" its truly sickening. We are all from Africa, dont forget.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:53 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
Just call them Americans and be done with it.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
There is NOTHING wrong with using "Black" to describe a person.

Make a change, follow these simple rules:

1. Dont use "American"

It is wrong to assume and call black people "African Americans" because for one, you are assuming their nationality as being "American". How can you know this unless you ask them first? What if they are visiting from France or Dominican republic? They can be from Canada here on business. Its wrong to assume people.

Boom, proof for you idiots that demand a resource (not that it matters because this discussion is logical) 'An African American', or 'a black'? - POLITICO.com
2. Dont use "African"

The truth is that we are all descendants from Africa. Research it for yourself, there have been mDNA studies performed and migration patterns studied that make this a fact. So you cannot assume that a black person is african. Black people (including dark aboriginals & natives) have lived in many continents and countries for thousands of years.

Boom, more Proof: Actionbioscience | Mitochondrial DNA Clarifies Human Evolution

3. If you must know, just ASK. Dont Assume.

So in closing, Black people live in almost every country & part of the world. Americans just need to step off this "political correctness" its truly sickening.
While I agree w/ you that Black is a perfectly acceptable label -- I call myself a Black American -- it's not your place to tell anyone else what they should be called. You have no authority to decide what kind of connection someone else is allowed to create to their heritage. If someone wishes they could trace their history back to Africa, but settles on just using "African-American" as a stand in, it's not your place to tell them they should just call themselves Black.

If they flat out tell you, "I prefer the term "African-American" then how about you do the grown up thing and respect their wishes? What skin is it off your back to do that?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
While I agree w/ you that Black is a perfectly acceptable label -- I call myself a Black American -- it's not your place to tell anyone else what they should be called.
Quote:
You have no authority to decide what kind of connection someone else is allowed to create to their heritage. If someone wishes they could trace their history back to Africa, but settles on just using "African-American" as a stand in, it's not your place to tell them they should just call themselves Black.
I personally don't see the need to describe anyone by their skin, hair or eye color because its plain stupid. If you are an American, then that is your nationality period.

Quote:
If they flat out tell you, "I prefer the term "African-American" then how about you do the grown up thing and respect their wishes? What skin is it off your back to do that?
There is no need to use hyphenated descriptions, it only helps further promote racism and stereotypes (this country has enough racism we don't need more).

You're right but this got nothing to do with having or not having authority. No one can stop or change anything in this world. This is just a discussion about the ever grown and stupid political correctness disease alot of people suffer from.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Just call them Americans and be done with it.
So if you see a black person while you are on vacation in France or Canada, you will assume they are American?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:17 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,166 times
African American seems condescending. We call white people white, not European American.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
African American seems condescending. We call white people white, not European American.
You brought up a great point. Very few people use "italian american" or "mexican american" its never fair across the board.

Being politically correct is worse than being racist. The media is king when it comes to offending by trying not to offend.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:26 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
Politically correct; trying to pick up a piece of **** by the clean end. I saw that somewhere and love it!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
The term African-American implies that African culture has had an important contribution to American culture.

'Black' is a wavelength of reflected light.

Culture or random light wavelength?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The term African-American implies that African culture has had an important contribution to American culture.

'Black' is a wavelength of reflected light.

Culture or random light wavelength?
I had one black friend tell me to please not refer to him as African American as his parents immigrated to America from Jamaica.

In identifying people - it is common to say "white" female or "black" male or "middle eastern" male.

It has nothing to do with country of origin.

Culture also has nothing to do with one's skin color.

So I don't think it is as simple as you would propose, ABQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies