Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Liberals don't have God to believe in so they put their faith in politicians like Obama and the Clintons.
BS. As stated above, over 2/3 of the nation is Christian (or at least claims to be) - while probably another 5-10% practice another religion, like Judaism or Islam. And considering over 70% of American Jews vote Democrat, do you think we don't believe in G-d? There are many secular Jews in the US, I realize, but we still "have religion" whether or not we believe in the actual presence of a god-thing. And while fewer Christians will admit to this, I'd guess just as many self-described Christians are also secular at their core.

For the record, while I'm not actually a Democrat (more of a left-leaning libertarian/independent), I do NOT trust the government as you all seem to think we do. I am also not a supporter of nanny-type laws, in fact I think the only strict law should be to "not harm others." Drink, smoke, do drugs, ride motorcycles without helmets, have a gay lover, pray or don't pray - I couldn't care less, as long as nobody is being directly hurt by your actions. I also think most politicians are full of crap, and honestly believe the D vs R beside their names mean squat. They're all cut from the same cloth, and if we don't abolish the two-party system in the near future, I may even stop voting altogether. Stop watching FOX News and ranting on C-D, start talking to REAL liberals, and maybe you will begin to learn how most of us actually feel.

Of course, I am only speaking for myself here... but I'm surrounded by liberals of all types in this region, and would wager that more of them share my thoughts than "we wubbb the gubment!"

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-10-2014 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:14 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Consider the state of our public schools from coast to coast.

There's your answer in 25 words or less.

You're welcome!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The government is by its very nature, slow, expensive, and inefficient.

Liberals and government don't care because their money isn’t on the line. Government don’t go out of business when they fail. So, the more we keep the functions handled by the federal government at an absolute minimum, the better off we will tend to be as a nation.
Again, where you do guys get these LIES about liberals not working? There are welfare recipients on both sides of the fence, and there are also hard workers (of all socioeconomic levels) on both sides. I live in a vastly left-leaning region, which if I'm not mistaken, also happens to be THE wealthiest county/metro in the nation - at the least, we are home to the #1 & #2 wealthiest towns in the US. So how is our money not on the line? Or do you think our $80-100K median incomes are from welfare? If you can make that much on welfare, sign me up!

I work hard and pay my bills with zero government assistance, not considering the fact that I happen to be a local public employee... but I still work for that money, and would be in a dire situation if my job were eliminated tomorrow. You know this nonsense isn't true, too, but apparently have no issues with lying and/or exaggerating to further your agenda.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:05 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Again, where you do guys get these LIES about liberals not working? There are welfare recipients on both sides of the fence, and there are also hard workers (of all socioeconomic levels) on both sides. I live in a vastly left-leaning region, which if I'm not mistaken, also happens to be THE wealthiest county/metro in the nation - at the least, we are home to the #1 & #2 wealthiest towns in the US. So how is our money not on the line? Or do you think our $80-100K median incomes are from welfare? If you can make that much on welfare, sign me up!

I work hard and pay my bills with zero government assistance, not considering the fact that I happen to be a local public employee... but I still work for that money, and would be in a dire situation if my job were eliminated tomorrow. You know this nonsense isn't true, too, but apparently have no issues with lying and/or exaggerating to further your agenda.
local public employee <-- Government employee?

You do realize that democrats and liberal have been exaggerating and lying about many things right?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:

You do realize that democrats and liberal have been exaggerating and lying about many things right?
So are conservatives, all the parties lie to get votes and get there personal agendas competed. Goverment is scary because its a reflection of our society. It can't get away with whats not ok in our society.

The only trust and love of the government i have is without them enforcing the laws etc. We would be working for a dollar an hr and sweatshop conditions, alot of our citizens would be in labor camps for being poor or in debt, being cheap slaves. AA would still be segregated, woman wouldn't be able to vote etc etc. Thats it.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Local government, yes - I'm a public librarian, so our funding comes in part from city taxes. But that is irrelevant, since I do actually WORK for my paycheck. Your implication was that liberals sit around collecting welfare, and being a full-time senior librarian for two branches hardly qualifies as such.

Nice attempt to deflect from the point, though.

Quote:
Of course I do, hence the reason I wrote above that most politicians are full of crap. I was talking about you as an individual, though, not attempting the old "your side is worse!" game. And since I am neither a Democrat nor a lying hypocrite myself, I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

Or is your whole retort basically "I'm gonna lie because other people do it too?" That's mature, lol.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-11-2014 at 04:27 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 03:32 AM

318 posts, read 639,138 times
When you turn on the news and see corrupt criminal thug politicians Leland Yee for example abusing his use of power by by trying to sell guns to a radical Islamic group from The Philippines, I can't blame many people for having a very negative view of the government.

I am sure there are more Leland Yee type scumbags in this country that have infiltrated the local, state, and nationwide branches of politics. It just that so far they have done a better job of not yet getting caught with their behind the scenes ties to terrorism and organized crime.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:32 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am a Liberal and do not trust the government at all. I trust the private sector even less.
What exactly is the "Private sector"? Is it the people? Are you saying you trust government more than you trust the people? Or is it the Corporate sector you do not trust? That I would understand, but having said that only a fool would deny that the government is completely owned by that same corporate sector and working solely in their interests.

So how can you trust the paid agents of the corporations more or less than the corporations themselves?

Government is only trustworthy when it is in control, and working for the benefit of the people.

That is not the case today. At present we have a totalitarian government working to take every freedom and right Constitutionally guaranteed the people away.

The country is not the government, the country is the people. The people created the government to serve them, and instead the government now rules them as if it were King. The people have lost control of the government and it now only serves the elite.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:50 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Why do conservatives constantly try to obstruct the government?

The government is made up of people; not aliens. We elect the government.

Everyone recognizes that Americans elect their representatives. But those representatives are hardly a reflection of the average American. The kinds of people who become politicians possess a kind of personality that makes such a position seem attractive. The vast majority of Americans have absolutely no interest in being a politician. I mean, even if someone just randomly elected me to be president, I wouldn't even want to do that job. And I think most sane people don't really want to be president either. Because unless you have a god complex, hellbent on exerting your authority over others, then its kind of a crappy job.

Rarely if ever do we really know much of anything about the people we elect. It isn't like we are electing our friends or co-workers. We aren't electing our family members. We are electing strangers. A great many of them whose only goal is just to get reelected. They simply play politics all day every day. In truth, these politicians don't care about you, or me, or even this country. They have made an art out of never actually answering any question. And whether or not they say things you like, in most cases they are only saying those things because that is what you want to hear. The second the public or their political party changes their minds, suddenly the politician changes his mind as well.

I think it is ridiculous to believe that the government is actually representative of the people in any meaningful way. And even when polls are taken about public sentiments about government. In most cases, the pollsters look for a group called "likely voters". Because only a little over half of the people who can vote actually do vote. Which means the actual election results are unlikely to be an actual reflection of American sentiments. And all of that assumes the politicians were actually being honest in the first place.

In truth, anyone who knows anything about how the government operates, shouldn't trust the government.

With that said, distrusting the government doesn't make you an anarchist. You can distrust the government but accept that government is a "necessary evil". I mean, just because practically all police officers break the very laws they are supposed to enforce, doesn't mean we would be better off without them. Just because almost all politicians are liars, and abuse their power, doesn't mean we are better off without them. Just because democracy is inherently flawed, doesn't mean we should get rid of it. It simply means we should be very very skeptical. And we should hold those with power to a very high standard. And really think hard before we hand any individual or group any authority over our lives. With the understanding that whatever power you give them, they will abuse.

To understand this, you should read this article. It is the most amazing read you will ever have in your entire life, trust me. The intro is kind of boring, it starts getting good about a page down.

Rousseau's Theory of the State

Old 04-11-2014, 10:59 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
So are conservatives, all the parties lie to get votes and get there personal agendas competed. Goverment is scary because its a reflection of our society. It can't get away with whats not ok in our society.

The only trust and love of the government i have is without them enforcing the laws etc. We would be working for a dollar an hr and sweatshop conditions, alot of our citizens would be in labor camps for being poor or in debt, being cheap slaves. AA would still be segregated, woman wouldn't be able to vote etc etc. Thats it.
Exactly, both are corrupt and that is the reason we should support small government. Liberals just want to feed the corruption. They are the foot soldiers.

What are your skills. If you don't have the skills that an employer is willing to pay higher wages for you can do something about it. Government can not legislate your prosperity, that is up to you. And since you are complaining about cheap labor, why would you support a party that supports open borders. Do you know anything about supply and demand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies