Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The job field is extremely competitive and there just aren't enough jobs for all these people looking. There are plenty of minimum wage jobs in my area but who can live off that. To think that people who are collecting unemployment aren't looking for a job is crazy.
I know, right? I feel like this thread was started to call out the shortening of unemployment benefits. It's already been proven in many countries that when you shorten benefits the unemployed start looking for work sooner. What the article doesn't expand on is how job creation has been stunted by over regulation and taxation, including the ACA.

When our political leaders decide to remove exceptionality, and replace it with shared misery, this is exactly what we get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I know some Republicans with some cash to spend that would create jobs.

They will keep that money in their pockets until Obama is out of office.

Then they will consider investing.
Then the Republicans you know are half-witted political hacks and bad business owners.

No one in their right mind says "I have some cash to spend-- Maybe I'll create some jobs..." And no one with half a brain and the real need to expand (increasing profitability due to increased demand is really the only reason TO expand) wouldn't do so because of the President.

Complete idiocy. And probably baloney. Leave the Fox derp bubble once in a while.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I know plenty that just are not looking some states are getting 9 years of federal unemployment
Look for work? Why?
On one job's earnings? Isn't happening! It amazes me how many people do not understand how those benefits are paid. Oh wait, let me guess; you never claimed! That explains it!

Until there are enough jobs for those that need one in this country, federal unemployment should be continued.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:04 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
A lot of folks here are all about "if we cut off unemployment those people will actually go find work". They have a mistaken belief that the reason our unemployment is what it is is because of unemployment being available. This of course is insane to anyone who spends some time thinking instead of repeating slogans they hear on the radio.

So 538's got a early look at the data (and to be fair they say its too early to be completely conclusive, but its VERY consistent with other research on the topic):
Losing Benefits Isn’t Prodding Unemployed Back to Work | FiveThirtyEight

This of course shouldn't be a surprise, unemployed people do not spontaneously create jobs just because they want one. Many here have pointed at a earlier experiment where a state stopped their unemployment as a great success, and their resulting unemployment rate went down-ignoring the reality that the total employed in the state didn't change.
I can't believe that we even need to keep unemployment going with all of the great economic news I keep hearing from the left.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
I know, right? I feel like this thread was started to call out the shortening of unemployment benefits. It's already been proven in many countries that when you shorten benefits the unemployed start looking for work sooner. What the article doesn't expand on is how job creation has been stunted by over regulation and taxation, including the ACA.

When our political leaders decide to remove exceptionality, and replace it with shared misery, this is exactly what we get.
I'm a small business owner and would hire at least three more full time people tomorrow if it weren't such a royal pain in the ass to do so. Too much of the extra revenue would be eaten up by taxes and other new hire expenses.....there is very little upside. More employee aggregation, more running around, more accounting, etc.

People who haven't owned a business shouldn't speak of things they know nothing about.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Then the Republicans you know are half-witted political hacks and bad business owners.

No one in their right mind says "I have some cash to spend-- Maybe I'll create some jobs..." And no one with half a brain and the real need to expand (increasing profitability due to increased demand is really the only reason TO expand) wouldn't do so because of the President.

Complete idiocy. And probably baloney. Leave the Fox derp bubble once in a while.
I can tell you have never run a business.

People who invest will sit on their money if they are not comfortable with the business climate.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
The USA ranks 6th overall highest in capital gains taxes. It averages around 28% when you factor in short and long term capital gains plus state and local income taxes.

The High Burden of State and Federal Capital Gains Tax Rates | Tax Foundation
couldn't find a less biased source? they're twisting things as hard as they can to make the u.s.'s rate seem high.

their analysis includes state/local taxes only for the u.s., not internationally. The deloitte document they relied on to determine international tax rates say that the U.S. capital gains rate is 15% ! So they're deliberately choosing to not make an apples-to-apples comparison between countries.

Last edited by le roi; 04-16-2014 at 05:52 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik21 View Post
Nobody sits on the money, people who invest, do just that, invest. If not here then elsewhere.
Making money is not about sentiments, is about making money.
Sorry....you are very wrong.

I pulled all the money out of the system I could.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

lol mlassoff, is that how you read the post. Hilarious. Of course business owners don't say I have cash to spend I'll create jobs.

Business owners think... I want to make more money and since there is a demand for my product I am willing to risk my money (invest) to hopefully grow my business. They invest hoping to make more money which typically results in creating jobs. Being that Obama's economy is so pi** poor and the cost of doing business increased they are not investing their money.

Anyway why should they. Liberals made wanting to make more money a no-no. Business owners take the risk because "they want to make more money" but government keeps taking more and more. Where is the incentive? Don't you work extra hours because you want to make more money?

Remember, when you cheered as Obama said raise taxes, you were biting your own asses. You see, liberal morons didn't understand that taxes are an expense. If taxes or other expenses increase and the economy does not support raising prices business will compensate by cutting costs elsewhere. The first place they look is employment. As they lay people off or cut hours. Obamacare is also another expense. We don't have a strong economy to support higher taxes and added costs of Obamacare.

Last edited by petch751; 04-16-2014 at 06:03 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
lol mlassoff, is that how you read the post. Hilarious. Of course business owners don't say I have cash to spend I'll create jobs.

Business owners think... I want to make more money and since there is a demand for my product I am willing to risk my money (invest) to hopefully grow my business. They invest hoping to make more money which typically results in creating jobs. Being that Obama's economy is so pi** poor and the cost of doing business increased they are not investing their money.

Anyway why should they. Liberals made wanting to make more money a no-no. Business owners take the risk because "they want to make more money" but government keeps taking more and more. Where is the incentive? Don't you work extra hours because you want to make more money?

Remember, when you cheered as Obama said raise taxes, you were biting your own asses. You see, liberal morons didn't understand that taxes are an expense. If taxes or other expenses increase and the economy does not support raising prices business will compensate by cutting costs elsewhere. The first place they look is employment. As they lay people off or cut hours. Obamacare is also another expense. We don't have a strong economy to support higher taxes and added costs of Obamacare.
Great post!!!!

I don't explain myself every well at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies