Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:13 PM

45,471 posts, read 60,707,289 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity how many people posting were unemployed back when the maximum number of weeks to collect UE was 26, with an occasional extra 13 if your industry was declared an "impacted" one?

Or when Railroad Unemployment was $25/day?

Or you were denied a week's benefit if you missed a call from your employer to go in for one shift (going in for one 8 hour shift cost you 40% of your weekly benefit, by the way)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 03:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
I spoke with a friend this morning. He's a 35 year CPA who has specialized in small business accounting and employs two other CPAs. He made the decision to close his business and retire because his business has been in a continuous decline for the past decade.

He said the likes of H&R Block and especially off the shelf software for accounting, taxes and payroll have made his long time business model obsolete.

Seems to me that a lot of people do not appreciate how quickly technology has changed business as usual over the past decade and it has nothing to do with politics.

Unemployment benefits were extended 8 times during the Bush years with a majority of Republicans in favor:

Unemployment Compensation Extensions - A Brief History of Unemployment Compensation Extensions

While some of these bills sought to address specific situations, airline employees after 9/11 and Katrina, most were indicative of an ongoing decline in employment opportunities and/or an increasing mismatch between skills of the unemployed versus skills being sought by employers.

People with no answers usually blame. No one runs for political office without blaming the other party for what ails you. When a politician blames too high corporate tax rates for the root cause of not hiring more people, I guess they omit that taxes have not prevented about 1000 U.S. corporations from opening and maintaining operations in France and employing 750,000-1 million people. I guess they choose to ignore the difference between statutory and highly competitive U.S. effective corporate tax rates.

Extending unemployment benefits is a band aide for a global challenge and thus far, no one has a short term plan, let alone anything long term beyond blah, blah about education.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:23 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,150,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes, and no. I did indicate in the OP that this is still early, however it IS tracking with other studies.

I know 538 is a horrifically incorrect group of folks right? I mean Nate Silverman knows nothing about statistics and how to unskew data.......
I believe his stats are probably pretty accurate. But I don't think his conclusions are solid enough since the unemployed are not even required to look for a job at this point. In fact, the conclusions are so slippery that we can swing the argument the other direction and suggest that the LT unemployed don't actually want to work and were collecting a check simply because it was available. Based on his stats, we can't actually disprove this assertion either.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:26 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,150,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just out of curiosity how many people posting were unemployed back when the maximum number of weeks to collect UE was 26, with an occasional extra 13 if your industry was declared an "impacted" one?

Or when Railroad Unemployment was $25/day?

Or you were denied a week's benefit if you missed a call from your employer to go in for one shift (going in for one 8 hour shift cost you 40% of your weekly benefit, by the way)?
I haven't been unemployed since the day I turned 14. Thankfully. What you've illustrated here is how spoiled America has become.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:35 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,247,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I haven't been unemployed since the day I turned 14. Thankfully. What you've illustrated here is how spoiled America has become.
Exactly. I went from drawing beer in a pizza parlor to truck driver, to the US Navy and then UP as maintenance of way to conductor and engineer to BNSF and am now senior engineer.

You don't get to where I am at whining about your next welfare check.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:41 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,211,196 times
I thought unemployment was down significantly since 2009....

which is it?

Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sorry thought it was the CPI which does. But heres a shocker...it doesn't make that much of a difference still.
A little outdated but the point is there.

CHART SHOCK: The REAL Inflation Rate Is 10%

If the CPI were still calculated as it was in the 1980s under Paul Volcker, it would show a very different picture of inflation than what is promulgated by Chairman Bernanke.

CHART SHOCK: The REAL Inflation Rate Is*10% - Home - The Daily Bail

Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,180,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Here is what would help people find work... the existence of jobs.

Neither Democrats nor Republicans have even the slightest shred of a clue how to create them.
The government is not supposed to "create jobs" . The role of the goverment is to make it possible for them to be created naturally based on increased economic activity due to easier entry into the marketplace. The government exists to tear down barriers that stifle economic activity.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times
Oh look! Turns out cutting off unemployment isnt helping people find work.

That only works when there are jobs. Obama has not created any jobs, in fact he has stopped new jobs from being created.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,907,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Here is what would help people find work... the existence of jobs.

Neither Democrats nor Republicans have even the slightest shred of a clue how to create them.
That's not surprising. Those jobs are gone. We are at a new equilibrium now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies