Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:37 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The libertarian position I've seen, and maybe this isn't ALL Libertarians, is that if you have no welfare state and open borders, the immigration and unemployment issue will naturally work itself out.

I think that's an incredibly naive and destructive position and would bring our institutions to their knees in about 5 years.

I also support social safety nets, so hard core Libertarian ideology doesn't work for me.

I do think that our government should be concerned about ALL of it's citizens first before anyone else, not Mexicans, and not just big business. I support a benevolent policy towards Mexican citizens..ie encouraging the Mexican government to move into the 21st century, not acting as a pressure relief valve for their poor. This country does not need anymore unskilled workers..it needs less and the governments policy should reflect that, not the reverse.

If the country actually NEEDS skilled workers, I support the government allowing that too. But I have first hand experience with this...H1bs are used to pay skilled workers less than citizens in the vast majority of situations, and that practice needs to be stopped immediatley.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:39 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Both parties have shown their true colors, they dont give a rats ass about any of us plain and simple. They pander to their big corporate buddies and screw the American people both Left and Right. This government is beyond a disaster , its not even comical anymore to how stupid these idiots can be.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
I am all for it.

I am sick and tired of being run over by the poor, stupid, uneducated idiots and hicks that inhabit California and New York who, by virtue of their numbers alone, can dictate how the rest of the country behaves.

Is California Really America's Poorest State?

Quote:
On the face of it this seems ridiculous: the idea that California could be the poorest State in the US. However, rankings of this kind really do depend on what it is that you measure. So the usual suspects of the Deep South as the poorest places can be true by one measure and not by another.

So it is true that, by one measure, California really is the poorest state:

Yep, the bureau’s “Supplemental Poverty Measure” numbers, culled from 2011 stats, say that …

… California has a whopping poverty rate of 23.5 percent, meaning that nearly one in every four of us is straight up poor.

The Golden State ranks number one in poverty, then, beating out all comers (Washington, D.C. came close with a 23.2 percent rate); Florida ranked second among states.
Yep, they really are that poor and stupid. Poorer than Mississippi, imagine that for a moment. So stupid they entirely miss the point when they refer to the richer state of Mississippi as "flyover".

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Good post and now you know why so much money is spent on gun bans
Disarming home owners

Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Not sure an according_to_hoyle civil war is in the offing, but an upheaval of some sort is inevitable because welfare states always and everywhere collapse under their own weight, and we are not as special as we like to think we are.

What will happen when the welfare state begins to collapse is the segment of the population who has no clue how to provide for themselves will find their government Robin Hoods are all gone, so they'll either have to learn to do for themselves or do their confiscations directly. Some portion of the takers will become makers for sure, but the majority will resort to direct theft when it all starts going south. When that happens, look for the productive class to fight back directly.

This cycle has repeated so reliably throughout history that Americans are just the latest arrogant people in a long line of arrogant people who were absolutely convinced not only of their superiority, but of their permanency. We'll eventually be just as wrong as every one of them who came before us.

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
These last 2 posts couldn't have missed the point any more.

It shows how people will read their own agenda into virtually anything. The myopy of some people on this forum is breathtaking.

"Yeah, what the OP said, it's about guns!!"

"yeah, what the OP said, it's about people in California and NY.."

WTF did you people just read?

3,792 posts, read 2,386,010 times
it would be nice if things were better. But they are not. We don't need a civil war we need a constitutional convention. Do it right play the game by the rules.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Not sure an according_to_hoyle civil war is in the offing, but an upheaval of some sort is inevitable because welfare states always and everywhere collapse under their own weight, and we are not as special as we like to think we are.

What will happen when the welfare state begins to collapse is the segment of the population who has no clue how to provide for themselves will find their government Robin Hoods are all gone, so they'll either have to learn to do for themselves or do their confiscations directly. Some portion of the takers will become makers for sure, but the majority will resort to direct theft when it all starts going south. When that happens, look for the productive class to fight back directly.

This cycle has repeated so reliably throughout history that Americans are just the latest arrogant people in a long line of arrogant people who were absolutely convinced not only of their superiority, but of their permanency. We'll eventually be just as wrong as every one of them who came before us.
Add a third who completely inserts their agenda.

The OP is talking about OLIGARCHY, not welfare queens stealing your tax money.

Holy smokes.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
ask that of the people that came up with supply side economics?

Ronald Reagan taught them that greed was patriotic.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:50 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
I think the H1B program should be expanded and allow more educated, hardworking, and productive people into this country, thus creating more wealthy, tax revenue, etc. I like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies