Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 01:54 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The libertarian position I've seen, and maybe this isn't ALL Libertarians, is that if you have no welfare state and open borders, the immigration and unemployment issue will naturally work itself out.

I think that's an incredibly naive and destructive position and would bring our institutions to their knees in about 5 years.
Well the Libertarian Party wishes that the immigration laws reflect what is actually going on (the reality)
of our workforce. Which at present (immigration from Mexico) is at it's lowest in decades.

Net Migration from Mexico Falls to Zero

"We've faced this choice on immigration before. In the early 1950s, federal agents were making a million arrests a year along the Mexican border. In response, Congress ramped up enforcement, but it also dramatically increased the number of visas available through the Bracero guest worker program. As a result, apprehensions at the border dropped 95 percent. By changing the law, we transformed an illegal inflow of workers into a legal flow."

Immigration | Libertarian Party

Old 04-23-2014, 01:56 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
A frugal person or couple can easily live on 20 K or less per year if they choose their city and lifestyle wisely. So, income inequality is not just a matter of "fairness," it's a matter of sufficiency vs gluttony. If I can live on under 20 K per year, there is no reason why everyone couldn't. Let's close that gap, mandate a $20,000 per year salary for EVERYONE in the nation, and any excess revenue attained by whatever means would go directly into a government "kitty" and saved for a rainy day or catastrophic circumstances for the citizenry. If everyone earned a guaranteed 20 K per year, especially since Obamacare would cover nearly 100% of the health insurance cost for such an individual, there would be no more reason to complain about income inequality. Everyone would have bread on his/her table and the same income as his/her fellow citizen--a Utopian existence for sure.
The administration should rush to hire you!
Or, do you work for them already?

You'd fit right in with the progressives who are advocating a maximum income:
http://www.glennbeck.com/2014/04/23/...-maximum-wage/

Last edited by swbtoo; 04-23-2014 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If everyone earned a guaranteed 20 K per year, especially since Obamacare would cover nearly 100% of the health insurance cost for such an individual, there would be no more reason to complain about income inequality. Everyone would have bread on his/her table and the same income as his/her fellow citizen--a Utopian existence for sure.
I'll make it easier for you

Just get rid of the IRS and have a National Sales tax ONLY with a portion of
it going towards a universal health care system (Medicare for All w/ no copays).

You could live off of 20K a year if you want, while other folks could be free to give to charity other than to a irresponsible Congress through the IRS.

Everyone one of us will be supporting our Military with a COMMON SENSE defense through our national sales tax.
Let's try that utopia (if one ever could really exist).

Old 04-23-2014, 02:30 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
As a strong conservative - NOT a corporate conservative, it has become obvious even to the most rigid and resistant thinkers in America that the country is headed for a disaster, one that will lead to an uprising and massive destruction/loss of life.

The caving in of the federal government to corporate america's wishes, as evidenced in this study:

America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds - Washington Times

for instance, an unwillingness to stop illegal immigration and lunatic, job-destroying programs such as the H1-B fiasco, have enriched a few at the top and obliterated the middle class.

If this situation continues, with large amounts of middle class jobs eliminated through off-shoring and the importation of cheap foreign labor (both legal and illegal), there is going to be a massive uprising, and it will not be pretty. There are already tent cities forming across the US in many places, so when the federal government handouts run out, and people can no longer feed their families - it will be game on.

A second study here showing how the US' middle class is falling further and further behind other nations:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/up...ichest.html?hp

The lunacy of importing the poor of the rest of the world, propped up with welfare dollars paid for with tax dollars from a rapidly shrinking middle class, along with the transfers of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of jobs overseas to places like china, has now come home to roost.

This mass jobs transfer destroyed the US' manufacturing base, and combined with the mass reduction of wages and career options for everyone from construction and IT workers due to the importation of cheap foreign labor - enable by compliant, tone-deaf congress whose primary goal is to satisfy its corporate benefactors - will lead to an inevitable uprising.

Personally, I give this country another 20 years at most before things explode, and am very fearful of the results. No revolution is bloodless, and given the sheer volume of weapons in the US, will likely lead to huge numbers of dead.

I pray that someone, somewhere in congress has the intelligence, courage and character to recognize that we are riding a train wreck going off the rails, and will step in and stop it.
I appreciate and understand your viewpoint but I believe WWIII is going to kick off and re-start things looooong before 20 years pass. As a matter of fact we're within a year or two to eight years maximum before the final great war which has been prophesized by many over the last century. You can actually see it shaping up today. China & Japan, U.S. and Russia and Ukraine and all the economic agreements being made by the B.R.I.C. nations and others to undermine the dollar which don't really get publicized here. Nope, the writing is on the wall.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
Do you know any of these people first hand?

Very bizarre declaration you make. It's clear you are a hardcore statist and that is fine but don't think everybody else is scared to die for something they believe in.

The fact is, party politics has done an amazingly efficient job at dividing this country and now it's tearing at the seams. Whether that was by design or a natural effect does not matter. But this situation is not lasting, make no mistake about that.

It may not be in your or my lifteime but it's coming down the pipe.
You are aware one of the title of this thread is that a civil war is inevitable, as if one is coming soon. Lots can happen long after we die, but that isn't what soon means.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:52 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You are aware one of the title of this thread is that a civil war is inevitable, as if one is coming soon. Lots can happen long after we die, but that isn't what soon means.
I guess that is implied.

What is soon to you? 2 months? 50 years? 75 years?

all are soon as far as I'm concerned. I have children that would be caught in the middle of that...and most likely grandchildren that I will have built relationships with.

I may even be alive in 50 years..

Old 04-23-2014, 02:57 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
First , $8 a gallon of gas would kill our economy. Everything that is shipped by truck would be passed on to the consumer and I am saying every product we buy. .
That is a simple fix; allow trucks to use off-road diesel (or come up with a comprable categorization of fuel). We are largely subsidizing trucks anyway through highway maintenance anyway, as passenger cars don't damage roads at all. The issue isn't trucks using fuel to ship essentials; it is Americans complaining about gas prices when they saddle themselves with self-induced mega commutes in oversized vehicles. Our current low gas prices drive inefficient lifestyles because we are enabling it to.

Higher gas prices would benefit the United States in the long run like it does for other OECD countries (more urbanization, alternative methods for transportation, and lower greenhouse emissions).

Old 04-23-2014, 03:33 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Well the Libertarian Party wishes that the immigration laws reflect what is actually going on (the reality)
of our workforce. Which at present (immigration from Mexico) is at it's lowest in decades.

Net Migration from Mexico Falls to Zero

"We've faced this choice on immigration before. In the early 1950s, federal agents were making a million arrests a year along the Mexican border. In response, Congress ramped up enforcement, but it also dramatically increased the number of visas available through the Bracero guest worker program. As a result, apprehensions at the border dropped 95 percent. By changing the law, we transformed an illegal inflow of workers into a legal flow."

Immigration | Libertarian Party
Doesn't matter, we still have millions of Mexicans here illegally more than any other national group. The Bracero guest worker program was for agricultural workers. Only 3% of illegal aliens are picking crops and the rest are doing jobs that most Americans will do. We have 23 million Americans out of work many of them are of our blue collared workforce. We don't need foreign competition for those jobs or any other jobs for that matter. Employers are just looking to increase their profits from cheap labor not because they can't find Americans at a fair wage.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
I guess that is implied.

What is soon to you? 2 months? 50 years? 75 years?

all are soon as far as I'm concerned. I have children that would be caught in the middle of that...and most likely grandchildren that I will have built relationships with.

I may even be alive in 50 years..
I would consider something to happen within the year to be soon.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:35 PM

1,347 posts, read 955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
You can declare yourself an expert on inflation and throw all the CPI information in the garbage. My rent went up less than 1% this year. Rent calculations are not included in the CPI because they are highly localized. The comment stands.
1% in west virginia maybe; in the major urban centers not even close:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/ny...n-12.html?_r=0
(over 1 million apartment affected)

Rents to rise at steady clip, forecast says

Next time you want to lie on a public forum, pick a topic more difficult to BS about.

Quote:
Everyone can live inside of an urban environment they just choose not to.
Yeah, stuff a family of 5 inside a 1-BD apartment, good idea

Now you're choosing where people can live? Perhaps you should tell them what food they can eat as well

Quote:
The issue is a left vs. right debate, as is many. The right wing (leadership) blatantly shows contempt for 99% of Americans.
No it isn't, and the more people like you keep buying the horsesh-t thrown at them from fox, MSNBC, the democratic or repub parties, the longer they will be distracted from the reality, which is that it is time to replace this current government with one that will represent the people of this country - NOT the corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies