Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I know he owes something like $1 million in unpaid fees. And that's a small fraction of what he'd pay for private grazing rights.

That's because the government that he refuses to acknowledge subsidizes his business.
How so? ARE WE GROWING THE GRASS AT AN EXPENSE???? It's grass, the sun shines, the rain falls, the grass grows, where is the expense?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. the word racist isnt in my comment.

2. this isnt about highlighting the word negro, Bundy said black people were better off during slavery.

Im not sure if you didnt read the source material, or if you just dont care.

You had an ulterior motive motive in your post, that or you where projecting.
I didn't say you called him a racist. I was actually asking you, "Do you think he is one?"

The exact statement of what Bundy said about slavery is wrong. Period.
But we all know what he was trying to say in regards to the debilitation that
welfare brings, especially when it is long term and generational.

And, he did another interview with CNN where he
tries to clarify that. That is where he starts to talk about the Spanish/Mexican folk

If I have any motive, it is to let people know that thinking someone is racist is a very
strong term. It should not be used as a political football for "sides".
It really does a real dialogue about real problems in this country an injustice.

And Bundy's original claim to fame for not paying tax (Taylor Grazing Act 1934/Act of 1978)
and whether federal lands should be given back to states, and whether the Bureau
of Land Management has gotten too powerful and abusive, has real merit.

"The land management policy of the federal government before 1946 involved on the one hand rapid disposal to miners, ranchers and farmers, and on the other hand reservations for national parks, forests, wildlife refuges, and military needs. The combination of 1946 of the General Land Office and the Grazing Service into the new Bureau of Land Management was filled with ambiguity. In terms of bureaucracy, there has been a constant tension between the local district rangers, who have typically been oriented toward the mining and ranching interests, and the centralized leadership in Washington that follows presidential guidance. Since the Reagan years of the 1980s, Republicans have emphasized local control giving priority to grazing, mining and petroleum production, while Democrats have emphasized environmentalism" - Wiki

It is a shame that it gets overshadowed by a "Paula Dean" moment.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You "statistics brain" does not have a source for those numbers. Also it doesn't define "welfare." If you are speaking of a welfare check, then that would be TANF and if that is the case then your statistics brain is lying to you because you cannot make money and be on TANF. Also, people on TANF can only be on it in most states for a maximum of 5 years. The most recent information I have seen on TANF is that there are about 5 million individuals and only about 2 million families on it in the entire country and about 30% of them are black. Black people don't deny this but to say that there is a "welfare problem" in regards to the black population is incorrect. Over 70% of black people are not considered to be in poverty, which is a majority.

Some info for you on TANF:

Characteristics and Financial Circumstances of TANF Recipients

From the link:

Black TANF recipients have decreased from nearly 40% to 31.9% from 2000-2010. Whites have increased a tad from 31.2% to 31.8, Hispanics increased the most from 25% to 30%.

If 31.9% of the total amount of TANF recipients are black, that means only about 1.3 million black people, out of 40 million are on "welfare." That is less than 1/2 of a percent of black people. So, as stated, there is no problem like you would like to believe. In regards to "welfare" there is not a problem in any ethnic group IMO, no one wants to be on welfare. Most states only pay about $400 a month to people on TANF for a mom and 2 kids, no one wants to get paid so little.

FWIW I found it odd that your statistics brain did not break down the "food stamps" category. I personally think that many whites (especially those of the conservative ilk who want to act like all us black folks are living large on "welfare") want to deny the poverty stricken and SSDI, Medicaid, and food stamp dependent class amongst their own ranks.

Now, FYI, Social Security is many times included in "welfare" statistics and on SS you can make money and still receive benefits. Black people, though we pay into it our entire lives are only 10% of SS recipients. SS along with Medicare are the largest social welfare programs in our country and black people are underrepresented in both of those bloated programs. An elderly white person's trip to the hospital for a minor surgery cost tax payers more than an entire year of cash assistance via TANF paid to a black family.
I lived in rural kentucky when I worked for a University... trust me, whites definitely outnumber Blacks on welfare in WVA and KY

Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
No.....but, they can write the fees off the profit.
Not fees they didn't pay, though.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-25-2014 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 04-25-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
How so? ARE WE GROWING THE GRASS AT AN EXPENSE???? It's grass, the sun shines, the rain falls, the grass grows, where is the expense?
it's america... there is always an expense.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:51 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
When a couple federal agents could of showed up to his front door with a warrant to arrest him and/or put a lien on his property as well. The way things are usually done normally? or do you people prefer a police state ?
They started rounding up his cattle, as they warned him again and again would happen. It's not like this was a surprise to him. If he's upset about that, he should have stopped squatting on public land and paid his fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They leaned his cows.

Then the government agents were abusive to the cows.

Perhaps if they if the agents would have been professional......this would not have happened.

Bad moves were on both sides.
See above. If Bundy was concerned about his livestock, he should have moved them off federal land. He refused. There's only one side that broke the law here, and he's been doing it for 20 years. It finally caught up to him. Boo-hoo-hoo for him.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You do realize that in exercising his freedom of speech he does not immunize himself from consequences of such speech?
they don't...

a lot of people struggle with this Free Speech thing

Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default It's fundamental...

...so I'll keep it basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

In using the land.

Property owners are allowed to receive rent, fees, etc for nonowners to use that property.

Bundy should pay what he owes.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
This guy is one sick puppy, and I am glad it came out now before he got anymore traction.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
They started rounding up his cattle, as they warned him again and again would happen. It's not like this was a surprise to him. If he's upset about that, he should have stopped squatting on public land and paid his fees.

See above. If Bundy was concerned about his livestock, he should have moved them off federal land. He refused. There's only one side that broke the law here, and he's been doing it for 20 years. It finally caught up to him. Boo-hoo-hoo for him.
Animal abuse is a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies