Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 08:43 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,299,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Wow, linked off wikipedia. Anyone can update that. There is no proof that the early Americans had any idea that the blankets would spread the illness, or if the blankets even did it.
Colonial Germ Warfare : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History & Citizenship Site
Early Bioterrorism and Native Americans
Amherst and Smallpox

Those legitimate enough for you ?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:46 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,299,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
^^Read some history and hopeful it will be apparent to you.
I am well aware of history, but fail to see how finding a chunk of land while looking to establish a new trade route makes him particularly heroic.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:00 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,964,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Your first post in response to me contained an insult.

And how could they be? There are only so many days in the year to designate as holidays. But if one aspect of our history is already celebrated, and you try to suppress that celebration, it will be rightly seen as an attack on that part of our heritage. If Columbus Day had never been celebrated in the first place, I'd accept your arguments for why we shouldn't start celebrating it as valid. But that's not the case.

The celebration of this holiday does not necessarily include the celebration of any "dark side" of humanity. I think you - and many others - are projecting your own biases onto this celebration. It's just like how when Presidents' Day is celebrated, or Martin Luther King Jr., Day is celebrated, the positive aspects of these figures are celebrated. Their flaws are ignored. No one wants to celebrate those, but it doesn't stop us from celebrating the good things about our history. If you want to replace Columbus Day with a celebration of European discovery that fits your worldview, it will inevitably be an inferior one because it wouldn't have the significance that Columbus Day has.
Other than being the first European with the resources and guns to available to stake a claim what do you think that Columbus did that was so significant?

Was it the selling children as sex slaves; wanton cruelty; warfare; religious fervor that even unnerved the Church; mass enslavement; avarice; public executions; maiming; leadership so poor that it lead to multiple mutinies.... What parts of his life are significant that the United States should be celebrating?

There are certainly better Italian Catholics to be lauding if that's what you're angling for.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I have a better idea, drop the stupid holiday altogether, Columbus did not discover America and I see not reason to pretend he did. "Indigenous Peoples Day" what a dumb idea.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:51 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,447,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty
Since when did Columbus land in the U.S., or play in any part of it's creation ?
I didn't claim any of that. We are, however, part of what's termed the New World, and his expeditions are a pretty big part of the history of the New World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

*heavy sigh*

First, not every single part of our history should be celebrated. ACKNOWLEDGED, but NOT celebrated. That's what Columbus Day is, and quite frankly, I would never consider it to be a real holiday.
Then don't celebrate it. But don't remove it. Those who do celebrate it will see such efforts to remove it as a sort of antagonism.

Quote:
Second, "anti-Christian attacks" on Christians? Do you REALLY want to go there...?
Nope. I'm not even a Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Another attempt to dodge the point. I'll say it again and again until you acknowledge it as I said it: There are many parts of history that aren't celebrated.
I addressed that point already, but I can address it further. It's unrealistic to expect that every part of our history will be celebrated to the same extent. There will always be certain celebrations and holidays that are more popular and/or recognized. Furthermore, if you're a member of a certain ethnic group and want greater recognition for your holidays, for example, no one is going to give that to you without efforts on your part to raise awareness.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:03 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,719,579 times
Quote:
I addressed that point already
No, you dodged it. You rationalized your objection to positive forward movement made by Minneapolis by refusing to acknowledge the difference between people having flaws unrelated to what they're celebrated for and people having flaws that are part-and-parcel of what they're celebrated for.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:12 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,447,210 times
Quote:
No, you dodged it. You rationalized your objection to positive forward movement made by Minneapolis by refusing to acknowledge the difference between people having flaws unrelated to what they're celebrated for and people having flaws that are part-and-parcel of what they're celebrated for.
All you've done is restate your position. You continue to say I've dodged your point when in fact I've answered it. That the holiday is inherently flawed because of Columbus's misdeeds is not a position held by the many people who celebrate the holiday. The positive aspects of the holiday are emphasized and the importance of Columbus in the history of the New World is reason enough for a holiday. Maybe if Columbus Day were never celebrated, your objections to creating the holiday would worth more. But it's another thing entirely to get rid of a holiday, and you should expect opposition to such a movement by those for whom the holiday has significance.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:33 PM
bUU

Quote:
All you've done is restate your position.
You haven't presented anything worthy of any other reply.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:40 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,923,241 times
Quote:
Uh; who says that Mnpls is being "forward thinking"? It's more like the pushback against this "multicultural" stuff will just happen sooner, faster and harder. The Indians LOST and; like what the winning tribes did back in the day, the "white" culture of 2014 has adopted the losing sides in. It is what it is.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:42 PM
bUU

You expect reactionary nut-jobs to prevail. You may be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies