Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 08:22 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

In regards to the above. I have only seen the word RINO used on white people. So in that effect, RINO is a racist term.....
by that hilarious criteria, wouldn't the terms ango and caucasian' also be 'racist' ?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:22 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That sounds kind of contradictory. First you say you can't get people to agree on ANYTHING, but then you say black people vote because they've been told to vote Dem.

I don't know about you, but there's not a person on this Earth, black or otherwise, who can tell me to do anything. What makes you think that the majority of black people can't think for themselves? You say you can.

Maybe the Republican Party needs to do more than constantly insult blacks and blame them for everything wrong in this society and propagate laws and policies that disproportionately affect them in an adverse manner. Maybe then they might get more than 5% of the black vote.
You do know the Dem. Party help start the KKK, right? You do know that the Rep. Party and the NRA helped get guns to blacks to helped protect themselves from the KKK? You do know a Dem. President was quoted as saying " I'll have those N's voting Dem. for the next 200 yrs" after he signed the Entitlement Programs into legislation. How about you read up on the history of the Republican party before you say they constantly insult blacks.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:29 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
As stated in my response, it is when said Uncle Tom benefitted from that "discrimination" yet wants to deny that it helped him in any way.
so favoring colorblind academic admissions and supposedly benefitting from affirmative action but then claiming it didn't actually help is what makes one an uncle tom?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
He didn't vote against it. He basically gave states the right to decide and took it out of DC. This is not the same world he grew up in. Times have changed. Why should we still consider race when hiring people or what not? AA had it's place then but do you honestly think it's still needed now. Every school I applied for, I was accepted. My grades got me in, not my skin color.

I have seen the effects of AA. It is not good. I've heard black doctors being labels a "AA" doctor meaning the only way they made it is because of AA. Some people call the President an "AA" president. I don't want my co-workers thinking the only way I got this job was because I'm black. I want my resume to speak for me.
Because the world still overly discriminates against minorities in the job market especially and in equal access to quality education. (And FWIW, please note I place much of the blame for the lack of quality public education on liberals who mostly control the educational system).

Regardless of if AA is around, people will try to denigrate black people in a professional setting. Having AA around or not is not going to cause this sort of thing to go away.

I work in an overly black market, when to an HBCU and people still have told me I have the position I do because of some sort of preference or because I am a woman. I could care less about that. I personally could care less about what any person, including white person thinks about my education or career. Just like I don't care that when I go in stores with my kids and nephews/nieces that people assume I have an EBT card or that I am an unmarried mother with a hoard of kids. What other people think is not important, but it is a fact that first and foremost, when people see me, I am seen as a black woman and so I am automatically labeled with preconceived notions.

I know what grades I got. I know how I got where I am. I know who I am and I don't deny that discrimination, especially workplace and inequalities in our criminal justice system still exist. I also know that educational inequality is something that harms black children graduating in schools that don't provide adequate adherence to standards with teachers that don't expect much of the kids and non-existent college and career counseling services. There are still way too many hurdles stacked against black children educationally and I personally would like to have AA continued in order to give many of those high performing kids who may not have been given instruction in specific areas, the opportunity to attend an institution of higher learning and to actually be considered once they get that degree in the job market.

FYI, black bachelor degree holders without criminal records have been shown to be hired less than white criminal record holders with a high school diploma. To me that is indicative of the continued need of AA.

ETA: Regarding the bold, why do you care what they think? If you are doing a good job, then you shouldn't care. IMO black people care WAY too much what other people think of us.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 05-01-2014 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He's right.

Besides, Uncle Tom isn't a racist term anyway...especially not in this case. It's appropriate when discussing certain servile blacks. Necessary even.

I don't understand why you can't get that through your heads. It's not racist to call an Uncle Tom an Uncle Tom if he's Tomming.

Whether or not it's appropriate for a white person to say it isn't my concern or my problem. Just don't call ME one. Besides, most whites can't tell the difference anyway. It's not an issue that they need to worry about.
LMAO

We have a ton of white racists on this forum but you may well be the biggest racist here.

Congrats.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
by that hilarious criteria, wouldn't the terms ango and caucasian' also be 'racist' ?
You again cut what I said. Uncle Tom is a political reference to a black person like RINO and "*******" are political references to white people. Neither are racist. Nothing I said would label caucasion or "ango" racist either.

FYI, racism is the belief that an entire group of people based on physical characteristics is inferior to another.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so favoring colorblind academic admissions and supposedly benefitting from affirmative action but then claiming it didn't actually help is what makes one an uncle tom?
Yes it is. That is one reason why black people consider him an Uncle Tom.

Don't get why you don't understand that.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
LMAO

We have a ton of white racists on this forum but you may well be the biggest racist here.

Congrats.
How is he "racist" when he said nothing denigrating about the entire white race nor the entire black race?

I see why the term "racist" is being overplayed in today's society. To many people have no idea what racism really is.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:38 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
How is he "racist" when he said nothing denigrating about the entire white race nor the entire black race?

I see why the term "racist" is being overplayed in today's society. To many people have no idea what racism really is.
Ok. What's your definition of racism?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:38 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is the thing I don't get about conservatives, and it was mentioned somewhere else, conservatives are definitely of the opinion that black people have "their own problems", that only black people can fix.

Explicit in that is that the problems of black people are black people problems and not America's problems, and that America won't help to solve these internal black problems caused by the internal deficiencies of the black race.
I'm conservative, and I don't think that way. The only person who can fix your problems is you.

It's the democrats who put forth the notion that people can hide behind the excuse that you belong to one group, and can blame your problems on X, and depend on the democrats to hold your hand and offer you Y and Z.

It's conservatives who offer the same message of freedom, self determination and resolve, personal respect and dignity to everyone, no matter who they are. It's liberals who pander to people, as if you can't get along on your own, so "vote for me and here's what I'll give to you."

There will always be that ten percent in any group, who are reticent to do anything for themselves, and looking for a hand out, or take the easy way out. It's why democrats always place people into groups of class, gender, race, etc... The dems foster the notion that you are that ten percent, that you are that group, so just vote democrat and they'll hold your hand, pat your little head, and take care of you from cradle to grave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.