Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 10:32 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh for the love of God....

Yes, his family didn't work their butts off, it was just handed to them because they are white. Here, let me roll my eyes back at you:
Huh, so listing the overwhelming percentage of the whiteness of Princeton's faculty and saying that this is evidence of white privilege and dominance is saying his family didn't work hard?

This whole idea of whether a person works hard versus not working hard proves or disproves white skin privilege is false.

For example, the various Homestead Acts to get Americans to go out west are examples of white skin privilege that was explicitly denied to other people.

The fact that these various homestead Acts privileged white people doesn't mean that those white people who took advantage of that privilege didn't work hard.

So this connection that is being made in this thread that if a white person worked hard that proves lack of white privilege is just not an accurate understanding of white skin privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 10:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
By some measures they do.......but you could say the same thing about Nigerian immigrants.
indeed, you can say the same thing about nigerian immigrants.

however that point seems to strengthen my argument so i'm not sure what you're disputing, exactly.

Quote:
Problem is, the samples are too small to really make a true comparison.

But I'll ask you this: how many Fortune 500 CEOs or top corporate officers of any type are Asians? The percentage is negligible.
about 2%

but like you say, the sample size is too small to make a comparison.

what's more illustrative is the median income of asian vs. white vs. black.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:34 AM

27,655 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Here's the link to the original column.
Checking My Privilege: Character as the Basis of Privilege | The Princeton Tory

So many of you on here missed his point. It was simply this - walk a mile in my shoes before saying how easy or hard my life has been. Basically he's saying don't pre-judge him before you know his story. In order words, in your quest to eradicate prejudice, do not commit the same and be automatically prejudiced against someone even if their skin is white.

And yes, the phrase "check your privilege" is used, quite often, on college campuses today. I've heard it personally.
most missed this point while they were knee jerking and flying off the handle

Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:

Yes, his family didn't work their butts off, it was just handed to them because they are white. Here, let me roll my eyes back at you: :roll eyes:
Not a single one of those "examples" say this specific young man's family didn't have it hard.

I repeat. What the heck are you talking about?

Quote:
Edit: Forgot to answer your question, "does this really happen on college campuses", it did on mine. One of our classes was titled, "Minority Studies", (that's what they wanted to call it), and the entire class was about how whites need to be ashamed of themselves. Didn't matter what any white family had gone through, we were to apologize for what happened to any other race or ethnicity in America, it was, after all, our fault. So yes, it most certainly DOES happen on college campuses.
OK. Then more than likely it does happen at Princeton. That makes it easier to believe him.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:38 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Here's the link to the original column.
Checking My Privilege: Character as the Basis of Privilege | The Princeton Tory

So many of you on here missed his point. It was simply this - walk a mile in my shoes before saying how easy or hard my life has been. Basically he's saying don't pre-judge him before you know his story. In order words, in your quest to eradicate prejudice, do not commit the same and be automatically prejudiced against someone even if their skin is white.

And yes, the phrase "check your privilege" is used, quite often, on college campuses today. I've heard it personally.
I didn't read the whole column, but the guy is a lost cause. He's stuck with the two most 'privileged' characteristics in the country: white and male. For all I know, he might also be heterosexual. The trifecta of 'privilege.'

Old 05-01-2014, 10:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:

Yes, his family didn't work their butts off, it was just handed to them because they are white. Here, let me roll my eyes back at you:

Edit: Forgot to answer your question, "does this really happen on college campuses", it did on mine. One of our classes was titled, "Minority Studies", (that's what they wanted to call it), and the entire class was about how whites need to be ashamed of themselves. Didn't matter what any white family had gone through, we were to apologize for what happened to any other race or ethnicity in America, it was, after all, our fault. So yes, it most certainly DOES happen on college campuses.
Do you have a syllabus on this Minority Studies class, I would like to read up on it and see if it is a class all about white people should be ashamed of being white?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:40 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Jews can't live in certain areas? They're denied loans? They can't get good jobs? Are there lots of them in prison because of an unjust justice system?

What kind of discrimination are we talking?
No, they do not face the blatant discrimination...loans, housing, etc. But if you are not aware of the perception of some people in this country of Jews than I am not the one to enlighten you.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
No, they do not face the blatant discrimination...loans, housing, etc. But if you are not aware of the perception of some people in this country of Jews than I am not the one to enlighten you.
You are right, conservatives call Jewish people in this country liberal elites all the time, disregarding any struggles they may of had.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:43 AM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Not a single one of those "examples" say this specific young man's family didn't have it hard.

I repeat. What the heck are you talking about?
You are now being dishonest. You know damn good and well what those posts meant, and you want to sit there and pretend that they didn't mean what you know they mean. Vaulted over millions of Americans to the White Man's Club, as an example, does not say to you, "they had it easy"? Seriously? Give me a break.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I just want to know how much more privileged I am than the people I see on the street. Maybe we could make people sew their privilege number into their clothing. So when someone gets a better promotion at work, we'll see it's just because of their privilege score and not actual hard work, so we will feel better about ourselves.
Let's see. I can think of a few privileges you (assuming you are a white woman) have over a woman of color. Have you ever:

-worried about your first name on your resume, as it could alert your potential employer to your race prior to meeting you?

-worried about your hairstyle promoting an image of "black pride," which could be offensive to a potential employer?

-worried that if you speak up in public others will wonder who the angry black woman they saw today was?

-worried that others questioned your qualifications for X university or your job at X due to affirmative action?

-worried your daughter or son won't have a positive role model of your race on TV which they could emulate?

-worried that people would question your American "authenticity" or citizenship when winning a pageant or election?

-worried that people would have fear of your religion or discriminate against you because you wear a hijab?

-witnessed a retail associate follow you in a store?

-worried that people would label you a welfare queen for driving a luxury vehicle?

-worried your race would be used against you when applying for a loan?

Just some food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies