Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Do you have a syllabus on this Minority Studies class, I would like to read up on it and see if it is a class all about white people should be ashamed of being white?
Well, gee, when I took that class well over a decade ago, not once did I think, "I'm going to need to save this syllabus just in case I'm ever questioned about what we studied."

Do you still have the syllabus from each and every one of your classes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I didn't read the whole column, but the guy is a lost cause. He's stuck with the two most 'privileged' characteristics in the country: white and male. For all I know, he might also be heterosexual. The trifecta of 'privilege.'
And here ladies and gentlemen is exactly the attitude that the man in the Princeton Tory is addressing.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Do you have a syllabus on this Minority Studies class, I would like to read up on it and see if it is a class all about white people should be ashamed of being white?
That class is a figment of someone's imagination.

The goal of the class is to make white people feel guilty for being white. That is a hell of a goal for a class.

Imagine a university professor's opening, to all of the white students surprise you suck and should feel guilty for being white and this class is dedicated to accomplishing that goal. Lol really

Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
You are right, conservatives call Jewish people in this country liberal elites all the time, disregarding any struggles they may of had.
That doesn't discount what else is said about them.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You are now being dishonest. You know damn good and well what those posts meant, and you want to sit there and pretend that they didn't mean what you know they mean. Vaulted over millions of Americans to the White Man's Club, as an example, does not say to you, "they had it easy"? Seriously? Give me a break.
Uh, where do those posts discuss this young man?

You said:

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps it’s the privilege my grandfather and his brother had to flee their home as teenagers when the Nazis invaded Poland, leaving their mother and five younger siblings behind, running and running until they reached a Displaced Persons camp in Siberia, where they would do years of hard labor in the bitter cold until World War II ended...

...Or maybe it’s the privilege my grandmother had of spending weeks upon weeks on a death march through Polish forests in subzero temperatures, one of just a handful to survive, only to be put in Bergen-Belsen concentration camp where she would have died but for the Allied forces who liberated her and helped her regain her health when her weight dwindled to barely 80 pounds...

...Perhaps my privilege is that those two resilient individuals came to America with no money and no English, obtained citizenship, learned the language and met each other; that my grandfather started a humble wicker basket business with nothing but long hours, an idea, and an iron will...

...Perhaps it was my privilege that my own father worked hard enough in City College to earn a spot at a top graduate school, got a good job, and for 25 years got up well before the crack of dawn, sacrificing precious time he wanted to spend with those he valued most—his wife and kids—to earn that living...
Yeah, his family sure did have it easy. Keep being classy, libs. /sarc
I see posts discussing white men in general. But you're mocking us and swearing at us for talking about this specific young man that way, and we're just not. Sorry, you just embarrassed yourself in your hyper partisan eagerness to say something nasty about liberals, which means we're just going to ignore you on this thread where you have no credibility.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Yes, his family didn't work their butts off, it was just handed to them because they are white. Here, let me roll my eyes back at you:
You are missing the point. That is an irrelevant strawman. This has nothing to do with economics. White privilege is a set of social advantages granted to whites that minorities do not have.

Quote:
Edit: Forgot to answer your question, "does this really happen on college campuses", it did on mine. One of our classes was titled, "Minority Studies", (that's what they wanted to call it), and the entire class was about how whites need to be ashamed of themselves. Didn't matter what any white family had gone through, we were to apologize for what happened to any other race or ethnicity in America, it was, after all, our fault. So yes, it most certainly DOES happen on college campuses.
I have taken a women's studies course and several black history courses in University. At no point in the curriculum is "white (male) shame" or "white (male) guilt" a topic of discussion. If you felt that way, you were most likely internalizing the discussions.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
That class is a figment of someone's imagination.

The goal of the class is to make white people feel guilty for being white. That is a hell of a goal for a class.

Imagine a university professor's opening, to all of the white students surprise you suck and should feel guilty for being white and this class is dedicated to accomplishing that goal. Lol really
I told you in the past that I would not be addressing you further, but I am going to address you this one last time:

That class was NOT a "figment of my imagination", I took the damn class. You want to lie about things, on and on and on and on and on, in these threads, I just ignore you. But when you sit there and flat out LIE about a class that I not only took, but PAID FOR, (it was an elective, and I was required to take electives), then I'm going to call you exactly what you are: a liar.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Uh, where do those posts discuss this young man?

I see posts discussing white men in general. But you're mocking us and swearing at us for talking about this specific young man that way, and we're just not. Sorry, you just embarrassed yourself in your hyper partisan eagerness to say something nasty about liberals, which means we're just going to ignore you on this thread where you have no credibility.
That poster's point doesn't even matter in the context of discussing white male privilege anyway.

This idea that a white person who works hard disproves white skin privilege has no basis in history of understanding white skin privilege.

When black men were kept from certain jobs because they were black men and white men were the only ones who got those jobs, a lot of those jobs were dangerous, physically exhausting, physically damaging, brutal jobs.

Those white men worked hard at those jobs, but that doesn't mean they weren't privileged over other people who couldn't even contend for those jobs.

So this connection that his family had it rough and that they worked hard is not inconsistent with white skin privilege anyway.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:56 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
That poster's point doesn't even matter in the context of discussing white male privilege anyway.

This idea that a white person who works hard disproves white skin privilege has no basis in history of understanding white skin privilege.

When black men were kept from certain jobs because they were black men and white men were the only ones who got those jobs, a lot of those jobs were dangerous, physically exhausting, physically damaging, brutal jobs.

Those white men worked hard at those jobs, but that doesn't mean they weren't privileged over other people who couldn't even contend for those jobs.

So this connection that his family had it rough and that they worked hard is not inconsistent with white skin privilege anyway.
Yes, that's an excellent point, which of course will be lost on the cons on this thread. But I really get tired of people stating over and over, in the face of completely opposite evidence, that "liberals" said such and such.

Especially when it's accompanied by rudeness and name-calling on the basis of said lies.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I told you in the past that I would not be addressing you further, but I am going to address you this one last time:

That class was NOT a "figment of my imagination", I took the damn class. You want to lie about things, on and on and on and on and on, in these threads, I just ignore you. But when you sit there and flat out LIE about a class that I not only took, but PAID FOR, (it was an elective, and I was required to take electives), then I'm going to call you exactly what you are: a liar.
Sorry, I don't remember screen names. So I don't remember you telling me that.

I was making a generalized point about the absurdity of that kind of class existing on any college campus and was not directing that at you specifically.

To be clear, I don't believe you, I don't think any such class with that goal exists, but I also am not trying to attack you personally either. So I'll move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies