Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
That's the entire point about "built in." That's what makes it so insidious.

You don't have to notice it. It's just given to you quietly. What, you think people say to you out loud, "Hey, I granted you this job interview because the other guy has a black-sounding name"? Or "I'm giving you $3 more per hour because you're probably more trustworthy than that black woman over there."

White privilege -- and make no mistake, as a white woman, I'm damn sure I've been the beneficiary too, whether I saw it or not -- is part of society. It's how the rules are written. Fortunately, we're gradually phasing out those unspoken rules, but it's still a slow process.

As another poster said, the young man in question undoubtedly worked hard. But he was automatically assumed by thousands of people along the way to be superior to others because of his skin color.
That is dead on. These kinds of rules governed this nation as law for 80% of its history.

White skin privilege has been the law of the land in this nation in many implicit and explicit ways.

Again for 80% of this nation's history white skin privilege over others was basically how this society was set up to function and this understanding was explicitly carried out by our government.

Forget all of the ways that institutions and society would form to implicitly carry out that explicit understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:43 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Answer: Wherever she has more money in her pocket.
Not necessarily. Those 200 girls just kidnapped from boarding school and sold were from families that could afford an education.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Of course, since most people in this country are white.

Where does a young black girl have more chances for success? America or Nigeria?
Depends on a lot of factors.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,798 times
So if white privlege is part of a majority white country. Does black privilege exist in a majority black country? Is there Asian privilege in China, Japan and Korea?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Like I said... If I write the name Mohammed at the top of my resume, it can be used to form a perception about me before I walk in the door. Mohammed is the #1 name in the world, but because it isn't a common name for a white male.. I am already at a societal disadvantage.

That is a prime example of the effects of white privilege.
Okay, you win. Black people with strange names have no chance in America, the power structure completely holds them down and they can never succeed.

[Barack Hussein Obama]

Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Answer: Wherever she has more money in her pocket.
Really? So in other words if a black girl is dropped down in the middle of America with $100,000 and at the same time a black girl is dropped down in Nigeria with $100,000 you're saying that they both have equal chances of success?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:47 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
and the point of this thread is ?
Ya got me. Another white male as victim thread.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
What is an American name?

Enlighten me. Continue to prove my point.

If my name is Mohammed and I am a natural-born United States citizen, how can my name be "foreign?"

Please please PLEASE enlighten us.
A name that sounds American. Here are several papers on the benefits.

The Economic Payoff of Name Americanization

www.ftp.iza.org/dp7725.pdf

Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination.

http://public.econ.duke.edu/~hf14/te...nathan2004.pdf

Do Masculine Names Help Female Lawyers Become Judges? Evidence from South Carolina.

Do Masculine Names Help Female Lawyers Become Judges? Evidence from South Carolina

Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Ya got me. Another white male as victim thread.
I missed where a white male claimed he was a victim. What we're saying is that in a majority white country, with a majority of white owned businesses, there are majority white people working there. That does not mean that white people are racist. I actually might buy the privilege thing now. The privilege of being born in a country that is majority white is going to benefit white people the most. Got it. Now, the next question is this; Name one other country in this world, that is not a majority white country, where you (black, brown, gay, female) will be treated better?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Ok I think what this really is, is a push back against white culture. A push back against the dominate culture in this country. I'm being swayed to your side...a little bit. It kind of sounds like another way of phrasing "discrimination". Instead of insisting that victim groups are treated badly, you guys talk about how non-victim groups are treated better than they deserve. Logically both approaches amount to exactly the same thing: an assertion that there is an unfair difference between the way various groups are being treated. Is that a fair assessment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies