Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 03:44 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The point is that it's inaccurate to portray Asian Americans as the "model minority" when many people in the community are struggling, and also when it's used as a cudgel to pit Asian Americans against other ethnicities, in the realm of public policy.
Many people in the white community are struggling as well. What difference does it make. Some minorities do better than others. Some white people do better than others. Some minorities do better than some white people. Is there some magic number that you have in mind for "success" in minority communities? And, what holds some minority communities back while others flourish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 03:47 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Going Viral: Princeton University Student

Liberals/Democrats hatred for the while male knows no bounds. I am glad to see one of us throw it back in their faces. I hope one day I can show you liberals how white males live in Southwest Virginia or in rural Oregon so you can tell me how privileged they all are.
Wow, another white male completely misses the point. Color me shocked.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:48 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
You have to ASK????
So those privileges are expected. How would you want to be treated in China, Japan, Korea. Would it be different if you were in Nigeria? How so? So you admit that there is privilege in being the ethnic majority and that is sort of the standard, no? How would you fare in Nordic countries? I don't see why there is so much push back if there is privilege given in the US. It's pretty much standard every where there is a majority. Immigrants or minorities should try to fit in, not go against the grain. Hard work will get you somewhere, complaining will get you no where and will push the opinion that you (and I mean the collective you, not you personally) want special treatment. Why should that be? Is it so for minorities of other countries?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
The point is that it's inaccurate to portray Asian Americans as the "model minority" when many people in the community are struggling, and also when it's used as a cudgel to pit Asian Americans against other ethnicities, in the realm of public policy.
Yeah, and many white people are struggling too. That doesn't stop some people from carrying on about "white privilege."
Regardless, Asians have a significantly higher median household income than whites:
Here's Median Income In The US By Race - Business Insider
Is that "Asian privilege," then?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I've read it and heard it countless times: requiring id keeps black people from voting. The obvious implication is that black people are unable to do something as simple as getting a photo id. That's pretty insulting to black people.
No, that's the white racist interpretation of the liberal argument.

We think it poses a burden on the elderly, minorities and young people that is not a burden for others. It's not that they can't do it …. it's that they shouldn't have to do it.

Not that I expect CD posters to understand this elemental truth, especially when it's so much more fun to lie about liberal beliefs.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:52 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
So those privileges are expected. How would you want to be treated in China, Japan, Korea. Would it be different if you were in Nigeria? How so? So you admit that there is privilege in being the ethnic majority and that is sort of the standard, no? How would you fare in Nordic countries? I don't see why there is so much push back if there is privilege given in the US. It's pretty much standard every where there is a majority. Immigrants or minorities should try to fit in, not go against the grain. Hard work will get you somewhere, complaining will get you no where and will push the opinion that you (and I mean the collective you, not you personally) want special treatment. Why should that be? Is it so for minorities of other countries?
Ah. So it's OK to discriminate here in the US because other societies do it. And minorities should just shut up and beg for what they can get.

Got it.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
I've read it and heard it countless times: requiring id keeps black people from voting. The obvious implication is that black people are unable to do something as simple as getting a photo id. That's pretty insulting to black people.
You seem to be deliberately obtuse here and painting with a broad brush.

The point is that it's unconstitutional to impede the right to vote. The judge has ruled accordingly and so have others. As I've said before, Voter ID laws disproportionately affect people of color, the elderly, the poor. And they're often in conjunction with other restrictive regulations such as eliminating early voting.

And if you have ANY inkling of American History, black people were often disenfranchised in many different ways. So if African Americans are vocal about this, it's understandable. Just in the same way Japanese American civic/community groups were among the first to speak out against sentiment against Muslim Americans in the wake of 9-11.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Questions:

I'm on board with white privilege as I equate it with white's being the majority in this country. What I'm wondering is this;

1. Can people succeed in this country despite not being the majority or white?

2. To what extent are white people holding down those minorities who don't succeed?

3. What percentage of success by minorities would it take in order for there no longer to be white privilege? Since, obviously 100% of white people here are not successful, just go to any WalMart or look in the Red States that are so poor.

4. How far away are we from a good number of minorities being sucessful in a white country?

5. Do we count Asians as minorities since they seem to come in and do pretty well almost from the time they get here?
These are some excellent questions. I'll be interested in hearing some answers.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:00 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
You seem to be deliberately obtuse here and painting with a broad brush.

The point is that it's unconstitutional to impede the right to vote. The judge has ruled accordingly and so have others. As I've said before, Voter ID laws disproportionately affect people of color, the elderly, the poor. And they're often in conjunction with other restrictive regulations such as eliminating early voting.

And if you have ANY inkling of American History, black people were often disenfranchised in many different ways. So if African Americans are vocal about this, it's understandable. Just in the same way Japanese American civic/community groups were among the first to speak out against sentiment against Muslim Americans in the wake of 9-11.
No, you just don't like my pointing out the racist implications of your stance. If requiring voter id "disproportionately affects 'people of color'", then you're saying that a significant number of black people are incapable of getting a photo id. Simple as that.
And here's the thing that I really don't get: if these people are unable to get to the local DMV, how are they able to get to the voting site?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, here it is ladies and gentlemen: if Asians are successful it's because they're hardworking and have earned it. If white people are successful it's due to some unearned "privilege." Nice.
I had to respond to this post as well. Yes, they worked for it! Why can't everyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies