Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 03:18 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
And yet there is still a stigma attached to being Jewish. In places if you're not Christian and go to the right church you're not really a member of the "family". Jews, as a minority, have had to be the best, study the hardest to make it. I'm not talking about Hollywood. I know this from experience.
At least they've been afforded the opportunity to do so. The stigma is insignificant compared to what black people have historically endured. Blacks historically could aspire to be the best and work the hardest, and still have had no chance. I am not saying things are like that now. I am saying that if one guy starts a marathon at the five-mile mark, one starts it at the starting line, and a third isn't even allowed in the stadium, you can't expect all three to be competitive. And another thing: if someone Jewish wishes not to have it known that they are Jewish - they can just change their name and say they are not Jewish. Problem solved. Not something black folk can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
UAE. You get knocked to second rung on the ladder if you're a white male working in the Emirates.

I'm not sure about that. The white people (expatriates) working in the Emirates tend to be higher educated, skilled professionals and managers and tends to get the deference and priviledge that comes with it. Contrast that with the treatment a contract worker from Pakistan gets there.

Remember, native born citizens of the UAE are a minority (only about 20-30% of the population) - that's why they have a lot of foreigners working and residing there.

Last edited by silverkris; 05-01-2014 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 03:21 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Is that so? Is that why we have MSNBC saying the proof that the Tea Party is racist is that the people at the gatherings were mostly white? Is that why we're told that people only oppose Obama's policies because he's black? Is that why we're told ad nauseum that Voter ID is an attempt to suppress the minority vote even though there exists no evidence that this is so? Is that why we have phrases like racist "code words" and "undercurrents" and "inclinations"?

If you don't have to set up anyone, then why are so trying so hard to do it?
Reading is fundamental.

Wisconsin Voter ID Law Struck Down - TIME

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/us...ruck-down.html

Old 05-01-2014, 03:29 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
So you're saying that black people can't pull off the simple act of getting an id card? Aren't you black? You don't find that insulting? If someone said that people of my race can't even get an id card I'd be offended.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
At least they've been afforded the opportunity to do so. The stigma is insignificant compared to what black people have historically endured. Blacks historically could aspire to be the best and work the hardest, and still have had no chance. I am not saying things are like that now. I am saying that if one guy starts a marathon at the five-mile mark, one starts it at the starting line, and a third isn't even allowed in the stadium, you can't expect all three to be competitive. And another thing: if someone Jewish wishes not to have it known that they are Jewish - they can just change their name and say they are not Jewish. Problem solved. Not something black folk can do.
Yep - there's a expression called "Twice as Good" in the African American community - that one has to work 2x as hard as white people in order to have 1/2 of what the white people can obtain.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:33 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. You are not in anyway saying that what the family of the original author of the article went through is insignificant compared to other minorities...are you?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

Most of the "successful" Asians come from highly educated and skilled backgrounds. Even within the ethnic groups that are considered high socioeconomically - for every highly educated software engineer, you'll find a number of restaurant workers, foot massage workers, and taxi drivers.

You can contract a highly educated Indian or Chinese professional with folks in the Hmong community struggling with unemployment, poverty, and juvenile delinquency.
Yeah, and for every highly-educated white person you'll find a number of white cashiers, landscapers, and bartenders. So what?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So you're saying that black people can't pull off the simple act of getting an id card? Aren't you black? You don't find that insulting? If someone said that people of my race can't even get an id card I'd be offended.
No, the point is that Voter ID laws are a solution in search of a problem, with the real objective of making it harder for certain folks to vote. They purport to solve a problem of voter fraud, yet such instances are so infinitesimal and limited that it begs the question of why are they doing that. Scott Walker's lawyers couldn't come up with any real hard numbers or credible evidence that voter fraud was happening to warrant such a law, and the judge shut that down.

Voter ID laws tend to have disproportionate impact on certain members of the community - such as the elderly, people of color, students...who have a higher propensity of not having photo IDs such as driver licenses.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Yeah, and for every highly-educated white person you'll find a number of white cashiers, landscapers, and bartenders. So what?
The point is that it's inaccurate to portray Asian Americans as the "model minority" when many people in the community are struggling, and also when it's used as a cudgel to pit Asian Americans against other ethnicities, in the realm of public policy.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
No, the point is that Voter ID laws are a solution in search of a problem, with the real objective of making it harder for certain folks to vote. They purport to solve a problem of voter fraud, yet such instances are so infinitesimal and limited that it begs the question of why are they doing that. Scott Walker's lawyers couldn't come up with any real hard numbers or credible evidence that voter fraud was happening to warrant such a law, and the judge shut that down.

Voter ID laws tend to have disproportionate impact on certain members of the community - such as the elderly, people of color, students...who have a higher propensity of not having photo IDs such as driver licenses.
I've read it and heard it countless times: requiring id keeps black people from voting. The obvious implication is that black people are unable to do something as simple as getting a photo id. That's pretty insulting to black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies