Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 04:03 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Yeah, and many white people are struggling too. That doesn't stop some people from carrying on about "white privilege."
Regardless, Asians have a significantly higher median household income than whites:
Here's Median Income In The US By Race - Business Insider
Is that "Asian privilege," then?
Are you still spewing the "model minority" stereotype? As an Asian American, I've heard this so often it's tiresome.

First of all, Asian Americans tend to be concentrated in states like California, New York, and Hawaii which are high COL locales. So of course we'll earn higher incomes, but the higher income doesn't go as far there. Also, there are often more wage earners in an Asian household. Also, Asians when compared with whites in the same occupation and experience level, actually don't get paid as much as whites.

Also, a lot of Asians who immigrated here are highly educated - so sure, that helps you become successful. Not applicable to the situation with African Americans. Unless you're talking about the really educated Africans, which are a different case.

So I guess my "Asian privilege" then, is to:

1) Get asked "what country I'm from" (I am a 2nd gen Chinese American)

2) Get complimented on "how well I speak English"

3) Be suspected of disloyalty when the USA has a spat with another Asian country.

4) Assumed to be a technical genius but lousy at people skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 04:04 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yep - there's a expression called "Twice as Good" in the African American community - that one has to work 2x as hard as white people in order to have 1/2 of what the white people can obtain.
And do you work twice as hard?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:08 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
No, that's the white racist interpretation of the liberal argument.

We think it poses a burden on the elderly, minorities and young people that is not a burden for others. It's not that they can't do it …. it's that they shouldn't have to do it.

Not that I expect CD posters to understand this elemental truth, especially when it's so much more fun to lie about liberal beliefs.
Yeah, whatever. I think that black people are just as capable as anyone else of getting themselves to the DMV once every four years and getting an id card. And I live in an integrated neighborhood (I doubt that you can say the same), so I should know. You think that they're less capable than other races in this respect, but I'm the one with the "racist interpretation." Whatever you want to tell yourself.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
No, you just don't like my pointing out the racist implications of your stance. If requiring voter id "disproportionately affects 'people of color'", then you're saying that a significant number of black people are incapable of getting a photo id. Simple as that.
And here's the thing that I really don't get: if these people are unable to get to the local DMV, how are they able to get to the voting site?
You really don't give up, do you?

The point, again, is that making it harder to register and vote is unconstitutional. Period. I'm not going to play ball with your silly assumptions and begging the question. Look who's playing the race card here.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:09 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,134 times
Quote:
Are you still spewing the "model minority" stereotype? As an Asian American, I've heard this so often it's tiresome.

First of all, Asian Americans tend to be concentrated in states like California, New York, and Hawaii which are high COL locales. So of course we'll earn higher incomes, but the higher income doesn't go as far there. Also, there are often more wage earners in an Asian household. Also, Asians when compared with whites in the same occupation and experience level, actually don't get paid as much as whites.

Also, a lot of Asians who immigrated here are highly educated - so sure, that helps you become successful. Not applicable to the situation with African Americans. Unless you're talking about the really educated Africans, which are a different case.

3) Be suspected of disloyalty when the USA has a spat with another Asian country.

I've never heard Model Minority before you mentioned it twice in this thread. What measurements conflate to success in your mind? For me it would be education attainment, household/family income, second generation success too. Why are Asians able to achieve such high rates of succes in a white country while blacks and hispanics are not? Not all Asians that come here are already highly educated. Some poor Asians come here and then their children become highly educated. I live in the PNW home to a large Asian population (relativley speaking) by the second and third generation those children have surpassed their parents in just about all measures of "success". Why are hispanic and blacks not doing the same? White privilege?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
So you're saying that black people can't pull off the simple act of getting an id card? Aren't you black? You don't find that insulting? If someone said that people of my race can't even get an id card I'd be offended.
It's not about me. It's about people who don't have the resources I have. The Voter ID laws are specifically set up to make it harder for people in inner-city areas (minorities, seniors) to get these IDs. Then, of course there are problems many seniors from the South and Puerto Rico may have in getting a birth certificate. The articles I referenced break down in great detail why the laws are unjust and unconstitutional.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:18 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,373 times
Quote:

Relax, I don't believe in "Asian privilege," or "white privilege" or any of this foolishness. It's all based on extreme generalizations. I'm just pointing out that a lot of non-white people are quite successful in this country, and a lot of white people are quite poor.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. You are not in anyway saying that what the family of the original author of the article went through is insignificant compared to other minorities...are you?
It is not insignificant, especially in the context of where they were in Eastern Europe.......but when his family arrived at its refuge in America, it was placed into a position of advantage relative to many simply because that family was white.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Relax, I don't believe in "Asian privilege," or "white privilege" or any of this foolishness. It's all based on extreme generalizations. I'm just pointing out that a lot of non-white people are quite successful in this country, and a lot of white people are quite poor.
While it is possible for people of color to be successful in this country, and a lot are, POC do have to deal with aspects of life in America that white people don't have to deal with - at all income levels. There are a number of hoops that a person of color has to negotiate that isn't required of white persons, all things being equal to the extent it can.

It also means that it's fallacious to declare America as a post-racial society, or that we don't need the civil rights legislation anymore. Sure, Obama is successful and has achieved a lot. But he has to deal with a level of disrespect from the opposition that his predecessors Bush, Clinton did not. Like that birther nonsense.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Ah. So it's OK to discriminate here in the US because other societies do it. And minorities should just shut up and beg for what they can get.

Got it.

Really? That's not what I said. Minorities should work 2x as hard, a term I learned here today on this board. Heard of it? Don't go home and sulk because you didn't get that job, get accepted to your college of choice, get a part in the play, whatever. Do something other than be mad that others have privilege.
I do think, since I haven't walked in your shoes, that we can just agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies