Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Well, the phrase, "Check your privilege" IS a pretty new thing. Very pervasive on social media and hacktivist social justice blogs. There may be racial or ethnic privilege, but there are all types of privilege - economic privilege, heterosexual privilege, Christian privilege, cis-gener privilege, on and on and on, etc.

It shouldn't really have a place on college campuses where you're trying to see different perspectives. It shouldn't be used to shut down people's perspectives.

And no, nobody should ever apologize for their privilege. So long as they aren't denigrating others people can't help their inborn traits, or who their family is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 02:50 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Cause they work harder.
Ah yes, here it is ladies and gentlemen: if Asians are successful it's because they're hardworking and have earned it. If white people are successful it's due to some unearned "privilege." Nice.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Thank you for the link. I would guess that most all of us agree that there is "structural discrimination" It was on full display when some of my relatives walked off the boat with our red hair and catholic religion. But I also think that some people are legitimately offended when they are told to "check their priviledge."
There's something about the word 'privilege' that's insulting, off-putting, places someone in a defensive position. I'm a white, male heterosexual, the trifecta of 'privilege.' I wouldn't care if somebody told me those characteristics gave me a variety of advantages. The word 'privilege,' however. gives the feeling that I'm from wealth, the world of connections, of receiving favors at the golf course, a nearly predetermined future, things like that.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:55 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Is that so? Is that why we have MSNBC saying the proof that the Tea Party is racist is that the people at the gatherings were mostly white? Is that why we're told that people only oppose Obama's policies because he's black? Is that why we're told ad nauseum that Voter ID is an attempt to suppress the minority vote even though there exists no evidence that this is so? Is that why we have phrases like racist "code words" and "undercurrents" and "inclinations"?

If you don't have to set up anyone, then why are so trying so hard to do it?
The "setting up" exists only in your imagination. It's a lovely way out of the dilemma cons put themselves in when they say something racist. I'm sure everyone inside your bubble believes it, too.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:59 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
if whites have an advantage, then why do asians do better than whites in america?

like i say .. just because african americans are at a disadvantage doesn't mean whites have an advantage. America is more than just "whites and blacks."
Not necessarily. Asians encompass a wide variety of cultures and nationalities, in every income and education group.

Most of the "successful" Asians come from highly educated and skilled backgrounds. Even within the ethnic groups that are considered high socioeconomically - for every highly educated software engineer, you'll find a number of restaurant workers, foot massage workers, and taxi drivers.

You can contract a highly educated Indian or Chinese professional with folks in the Hmong community struggling with unemployment, poverty, and juvenile delinquency.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There's something about the word 'privilege' that's insulting, off-putting, places someone in a defensive position. I'm a white, male heterosexual, the trifecta of 'privilege.' I wouldn't care if somebody told me those characteristics gave me a variety of advantages. The word 'privilege,' however. gives the feeling that I'm from wealth, the world of connections, of receiving favors at the golf course, a nearly predetermined future, things like that.
I agree. If someone tells me I have advantages because I am white, that doesn't irritate me as much as if someone says I am "privileged".

Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You are right, conservatives call Jewish people in this country liberal elites all the time, disregarding any struggles they may of had.
Considering that American Jews vote Democratic at a rate of 70-75%, not surprising.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:06 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Is he saying that? No. He's just trying to point out that life isn't always so perfect for us.

The way you spew things about the inner city and drugs you make it seem like things are handy dandy on the other side. You know where the REAL AMERICANS LIVE.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:14 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
No because he was there. Obviously the impending Rhodes Scholar TM could not make a statement after he attacked GZ and was shot. Guess he picked the wrong beaner to mess with.
Well, we know where you stand on this issue.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:17 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
I'll be surprised if someone doesn't try to get him expelled for not bending over and taking it in the rear from the grievance crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies