Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,335,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you suppose he would throw tomatoes?
Maybe he'd throw the Good Book at 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 12:31 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Well that is a matter of degree. Certainly the issue at hand of simple prayer should not cause undue stress on any one individual. And I wouldn't think that people taking prayer would desire to negatively stress anyone. Yet it happens. And if the stress is severe enough (not in this case) then it could be unconstitutional. Like burning a cross as a specific display of intimidation against Blacks. Or simply having a video of such a disgrace during the prayer session could cause some public participants at a town meeting to be very severely and negatively impacted.

File:Cross Lighting 2005.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Virginia v. Black - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If the speaker directly threatens you in his prayer I will side with you in removing him.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,346,012 times
At the start of every meeting I attend I say a prayer for wisdom "In Jesus Name". Depending on how things go May 20th, I may get to say it out loud.

Than I will go to work on that pesky issue of the Pledge of Allegiance before each meeting.

It is now settled law. Get used to it.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,335,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
At the start of every meeting I attend I say a prayer for wisdom "In Jesus Name". Depending on how things go May 20th, I may get to say it out loud.

Than I will go to work on that pesky issue of the Pledge of Allegiance before each meeting.

I'm not following. Without Jesus, you're bereft of wisdom?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,346,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm not following. Without Jesus, you're bereft of wisdom?
Without Jesus you are bereft of more than just wisdom. I think that pretty well shows in this thread.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:57 PM

778 posts, read 824,439 times
Quote:

By "get used to it" do you mean "quietly accept the prayers of a religion that you don't believe as you've already done your entire life" or "shut up while I use the same smug, snide comments from the religious majority that you've heard your entire life"?

Maybe you should pray for humility a bit more often, friend.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 PM

741 posts, read 764,781 times
Fine, if prayer is permitted let's make it a prayer reflecting all faiths/cultures - respecting all members of our community. You can start with this:

Allah is the Greatest!

Praise and glory be to You, O Allah.
Blessed be Your Name, exalted be Your Majesty and Glory.
There is no god but You.

I seek Allah's shelter from Satan, the condemned.

In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful.

Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Universe,
the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful!
Master of the Day for Judgment!
You alone do we worship and You alone do we call on for help.
Guide us along the Straight Path,
The path of those whom You have favored,
Not the path of those who earned Your anger, nor of those who went astray. Amen.

Glorified is my Lord, the Great.

Allah listens to those who praise Him.

Our Lord, praise be for You only.

Glorified is my Lord, the Exalted.

O my Lord, forgive me and have Mercy on me.

All our oral, physical and monetary ways of worship are only for Allah. Peace, mercy and blessing of Allah be on you, O Prophet.
May peace be upon us and on the devout servants of Allah.
I testify that there is no god but Allah and I testify that Muhammad is His servant and messenger.

O Allah, send Your mercy on Muhammad and his posterity as you sent Your mercy on Abraham and his posterity. You are the Most Praised, the Most Glorious.

O Allah, send Your Blessings on Muhammad and his posterity as you sent Your blessings on Abraham and his posterity. You are the Most Praised, the Most Glorious.

Our Lord, grant us the good in this world and that of the Hereafter and save us from the torture of Hell.

Peace and Mercy of Allah be on you. Peace and Mercy of Allah be on you.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
You don't get to dictate who people pray or not pray to.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:58 PM

18,823 posts, read 8,484,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Fine, if prayer is permitted let's make it a prayer reflecting all faiths/cultures - respecting all members of our community. You can start with this:

Allah is the Greatest!

Praise and glory be to You, O Allah.
Blessed be Your Name, exalted be Your Majesty and Glory.
There is no god but You.

I seek Allah's shelter from Satan, the condemned.

In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful.

Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Universe,
the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful!
Master of the Day for Judgment!
You alone do we worship and You alone do we call on for help.
Guide us along the Straight Path,
The path of those whom You have favored,
Not the path of those who earned Your anger, nor of those who went astray. Amen.

Glorified is my Lord, the Great.

Allah listens to those who praise Him.

Our Lord, praise be for You only.

Glorified is my Lord, the Exalted.

O my Lord, forgive me and have Mercy on me.

All our oral, physical and monetary ways of worship are only for Allah. Peace, mercy and blessing of Allah be on you, O Prophet.
May peace be upon us and on the devout servants of Allah.
I testify that there is no god but Allah and I testify that Muhammad is His servant and messenger.

O Allah, send Your mercy on Muhammad and his posterity as you sent Your mercy on Abraham and his posterity. You are the Most Praised, the Most Glorious.

O Allah, send Your Blessings on Muhammad and his posterity as you sent Your blessings on Abraham and his posterity. You are the Most Praised, the Most Glorious.

Our Lord, grant us the good in this world and that of the Hereafter and save us from the torture of Hell.

Peace and Mercy of Allah be on you. Peace and Mercy of Allah be on you.
Second verse, same as the first!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:22 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
Quote:
I have been to a good many public meetings over the years and frankly none any of them involved any subject matter or behaviour that would be sanctified by Jesus.

However, my hesitation in stating that we're meeting in the name of Jesus has more to do with the fact that our town has people of many different religions and some of no religion at all.

I'd rather leave the religion with the churches and private individuals. That's more in line with what Jesus himself said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies