Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:32 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times

Advertisements

Gun control in the US is a lost cause.
The only solution to the gun problem is to get out.

But don't bring your guns to Canada, mmmkay?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 03:34 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
And you need a machine gun to defend your homestead ?? REALLY? You need to take a few classes on control.

I am an advocate of gun ownership by the way, but lets do a little comparison here .. How many people have defended their home/family from an intruder(I believe an intruder is automatically presumed to mean you/your family harm) using any type of firearm in comparison to "accidental" shootings in the home(many different scenarios there).

We seem to pick out the "little old ladies" defending their home and leave out the lady/man that shoots their spouse/partner or child in the dark of night thinking they are an intruder.
There is also the risk that innocent bystanders could get hit by unintended fire. I had a friend who thought he was getting mugged as he pulled into the driveway. It turns out he wasn't but the neighbors were irate because the two rounds he fired penetrated their kid's bedroom window and lodged in the wall.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:40 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
They dont hate those stories, they just ignore them. Im impressed by the fact that it was a 45 calibre for a grandmother, and sad that she missed them. But I can forgive that since she was shot 4 times before returning fire.
She didn't miss! Did you actually watch the video?

Both perps arrested trying to get medical attention for gunshot wounds.

She hit both of them after taking 3 in the side and one through her left hand. THAT is freakin impressive.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Just because incrementalism is a word, doesn't mean there's a century-long liberal conspiracy to disarm everyone.

Sigh.
Why should it be labeled a conspiracy? Here in Cali it's an open fact that our progressive liberal congressmen are actively trying to ban guns altogether.

28 handgun models in common use were removed from the handgun roster by the California Department of Justice since January 28, 2014, and are now unavailable to gun buyers, reports Calguns. Of those, 22 are manufactured by Smith & Wesson, Inc.

California DOJ continues dumping handguns from “approved” list, attempting to affect a total semi-automatic pistol ban

Here in Cali, anyone who owns a handgun with a clip capacity above 10 and removable clip semi-auto rifles are now criminals. There's millions of us. OH, and one of the Senators who voted to pass these unconstitutional laws was arrested in March for .... wait for it .... GUN TRAFFICKING!

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-y...ry.html#page=1

We've always said that thugs will get their guns no matter what. Senator Yee proved us exactly right, as he was disarming citizens while arming criminals.

Calling it a "conspiracy" is a left meme to make it sound crazy to believe such a thing is happening, WHILE IT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

Last edited by steven_h; 05-09-2014 at 04:02 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
How could you be ok with it considering the fact that the way she did it offends what you believe?

Did you read the story?

This lady was getting out of her car when the thugs approached her. She saw the thugs and put her gun in her pocket, meaning, she carries a gun with her in her daily life, which you are dead set against, right?

In other words, if you had your way, this woman would be dead. Wasn't it you who asserted that there was no earthly reason to carry on gun outside the home for self protection?
What does this have to do with people strutting through Little League parks sporting a pistol on their hip or strolling through Walmart with an AR-15 slung over their shoulder? That's nothing but provocative.

When there's truly a substantial risk of danger I have no problem with people defending themselves. I have a permit and use it when necessary.

But for the routine affairs of life? How many times have people in your neighborhood been set upon by thugs when they were getting out of the car? How many people have been attacked by baddies at your local little league park or Walmart?

Old 05-09-2014, 04:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

But for the routine affairs of life? How many times have people in your neighborhood been set upon by thugs when they were getting out of the car? ?
This woman was getting out of her car after returning home from a double shift at work. That sounds pretty routine to me. So, according to you, this woman should not have been carrying a gun simply because what happened to her happens so rarely, which would likely have resulted in her death.

First you said you were glad she was able to defend herself, now you're saying she should never have been carrying a gun to begin with because this type of stuff happens so rarely.

You need to make up your mind. When you figure it out, let me know.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
What does this have to do with people strutting through Little League parks sporting a pistol on their hip or strolling through Walmart with an AR-15 slung over their shoulder? That's nothing but provocative.

When there's truly a substantial risk of danger I have no problem with people defending themselves. I have a permit and use it when necessary.
What does that even mean?

IF you actually do have a CCP and your prerogative is to not carry a weapon, that's your own business. It doesn't mean everyone else should follow your example, because, frankly, there's no reason to be permitted if you aren't packing whenever you're out.

BTW, a CCP allows you to carry a hidden weapon, and it's still illegal to brandish or wear it exposed unless you live in an open carry state. Your example of strutting through a park or Walmart brandishing a weapon is idiotic at best.

It looks fine to me, nothing audacious or overly conspicuous, and enough to keep a thug away.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
. I have a permit and use it when necessary.
?
Like Steven, I'm kind of wondering what this means exactly? You use it "when necessary"

If you knew you were going in to a situation where having a gun would be "necessary"..... wouldn't it make sense to just avoid that situation in the first place?

The very reason people get permits and carry guns in their daily lives is because they don't know when it might be necessary.

Most of us hope it never becomes "necessary" to use our firearms.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
This woman was getting out of her car after returning home from a double shift at work. That sounds pretty routine to me. So, according to you, this woman should not have been carrying a gun simply because what happened to her happens so rarely, which would likely have resulted in her death.

First you said you were glad she was able to defend herself, now you're saying she should never have been carrying a gun to begin with because this type of stuff happens so rarely.

You need to make up your mind. When you figure it out, let me know.
Don't be ridiculous. If you're in an area where thug attacks are likely carrying a firearm may make sense (assuming you know how to use it safely and effectively).

In most places such an event is extremely unlikely. I choose not to live in constant fear, as do the vast majority of people.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. If you're in an area where thug attacks are likely carrying a firearm may make sense (assuming you know how to use it safely and effectively).

In most places such an event is extremely unlikely. I choose not to live in constant fear, as do the vast majority of people.
Good for you....!

If this woman had followed your logic, there is a very real possibility that she would be dead.

If you don't want to carry in your daily life, that's fine. Leave those of us who do, alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies