Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:48 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,540,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
The public attitude toward police is well deserved.

If they don't want a negative perception, maybe they should protect and serve more often, so when it does happen it's not a miraculous feat of heroism, it's simply what's expected.
Looks like we have a over generalizing problem over here, do you know how many cops there are in the United States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:51 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,665,805 times
Despite the harsh critisism posters here, myself included, dish out on the serious issues with LE, its not like we don't realize there are damn good cops out there. I am friends with a few whom I compete in action pistol with.
They are not the type of cops folks are having a hard time with. But they're getting to be an endangered species. As even more rural areas depots get on the "tactical" bandwagon for street gear. More and more cops are becoming quite abrasive in their dealings with the public, and many of these are younger, combat vets with 4 tours under, and need to ...decompress...a bit before being put on patrol. Coupled with this slew of "no knock" mistakes we've been seeing, with massive ammunition expenditure into innocent people, and folks start to raise eyebrows.
For LEs part, they could be doing WAY better on PR.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:54 PM

924 posts, read 668,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Despite the harsh critisism posters here, myself included, dish out on the serious issues with LE, its not like we don't realize there are damn good cops out there. I am friends with a few whom I compete in action pistol with.
They are not the type of cops folks are having a hard time with. But they're getting to be an endangered species. As even more rural areas depots get on the "tactical" bandwagon for street gear. More and more cops are becoming quite abrasive in their dealings with the public, and many of these are younger, combat vets with 4 tours under, and need to ...decompress...a bit before being put on patrol. Coupled with this slew of "no knock" mistakes we've been seeing, with massive ammunition expenditure into innocent people, and folks start to raise eyebrows.
Well said.

Fair or not, the police typically aren't well received in a police state.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,848,841 times
I know there are good cops, but that sadly, doesn't make up for all the bad ones.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
While police are held to a higher standard due to them being hired to uphold the laws that they are sworn to enforce, I personally have no issue with acknowledging when they've gone above or beyond (or anyone for that matter) to save another individual. Just like I have no problem criticizing the cops who feel they're above the law. Know what I mean?
dont get me wrong, i have always said that LEOs need to be held to a higher standard in their jobs because they are the ones enforcing the laws of the land. they need to be doing it better than everyone else because of that, and the bad ones need to be removed from the force, and the very bad ones need to be in jail. i also think that if someone has been removed from a police force for bad conduct, they should be blackballed from ALL police forces forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I see a whole bunch of sides to this issue.

I'm the first person to believe that many LEOs join the force because they're power-hungry a$$holes who want to hide their violent impulses behind a badge.

On the other hand … most of the people of this forum who spend their days digging up and posting stories about LEO run amok are the keyboard cowboys who are hoping to convince the rest of us to let them play Fisher Price Police Officer and take justice into their own hands as if America were still the Wild Wild West.

On the other other hand, I refuse to casually dismiss the things law officers do right because "that's their job." I don't expect great praise for doing my job correctly (well, once in awhile it's nice to have), but I don't for a minute think I'd have the b@lls to do a LEO's job, and thankyouverymuch for having my back every day.

I mean, who signed up to run INTO the collapsing Twin Towers? But they did it. I find it rather offensive to just wave that off as Another Day at the Office, ho hum. There really are law enforcement folks out there who have a sense of duty. I will never let the bad apples make me forget what they're willing to do for the rest of us.
i agree that some join the force because they are power hungry, and hopefully they are weeded out during the initial interviews, or during the training process, or even during their probationary period. and usually they are, but some slip through the cracks unfortunately.

Quote:
Above all else: respect is earned.

If a police officer walks up to me expecting recognition for simply existing, he's in for a rude awakening.
i am not saying bow down to a LEO just because they are wearing a uniform, far from it. but when you do have contact with a LEO, for instance they pull you over for speeding, or what ever, treat them like you would want to be treated, remember respect goes BOTH ways. do that and perhaps your contact will be at least non confrontational, if not reasonably pleasant.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I know there are good cops, but that sadly, doesn't make up for all the bad ones.
yes its true, 5% of the cops give the rest a bad name. and that is unfortunate.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:01 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,917,786 times
I've always said there are good cops out there, but that they are far and few between.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:04 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,604,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I understand what you're saying and of course there is a segment that is a problem, just like in any occupation. The media is thrilled to do PR for that segment but you rarely hear about the stories in the OP. Also, it's not presented this way, but all the criminals we read about in the newspaper got there because officers risked their safety to apprehend criminals. How many criminals do we read about and never think about the officers until we get to the bad story about an officer?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:22 PM

863 posts, read 1,199,139 times
I'm sure that there are still some cops out there that aren't pumped up on steroids, that aren't choking the crap outta rowdy college kids, or shooting dementia riddled old men or beating the crap out of homeless so bad that they end up dying. BUT - that's what the public reads about. It's up to the cops to police themselves and their serious problems with "roid rage"

Don't blame the general public for having a negative view of police these days. If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.

We can throw your guy a bone though..........Thanks, Officer Acerra for being a nice guy and going above and beyond and for giving a sh*t rather than beating it out of somebody.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:26 PM

7,606 posts, read 6,110,858 times
Quote:
I'm a law abiding citizen and have no problem with the police. I've actually dealt with much more helpful officers than not.

Not sure what you mean by the rest of your rant but police officers are supposed to protect and serve. I don't expect flagrant praise at my job because it's what I get a paycheck for.

Now if I was targeting and beating minorities, and shooting people's dogs, I wouldn't have a problem with people being suspicious of my character. Nobody is forcing anybody to be a police officer, if you don't want what comes with the job, get a different job.
Good post, and yes, I have found them to be more than often helpful.
They are human beings, just like us.

Last year, I was eating and I choked on some food. My youngest son who weighed all of 50 lbs at the time tried to Heimlich me, but he was not strong enough. The oldest one called 911

As I fell to the ground with visions of waking up intubated in the ER and hoping EMS arrived, I was suddenly able to breath again. He cancelled the 911 call, I rested and was ok.
An hour of so later, a deputy came by to check on us. he told my son that he did the right thing calling 911 and if it ever happened again, call and they would send help. I told him it was about the scariest thing that has happened to me in years, he said "I'd be scared too"
The local Sheriff office I found often conducts routine patrol checks on disabled and shut in citizens, I sure do not want to be on that list but it is good to know that an officer will come by every week or so, spend 5 minutes chatting just making sure someone is alive and well.

I save lives everyday. I get a paycheck, and the self gratification of knowing that I made a difference. that is all I need.

But if someone wants to take time to point out someone else's good deeds, then please do it. We need more people in the world to help out and fewer to whine and complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies