Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Smh, I can't make this stuff up. A thread about one high school in one school district deciding to feed the small subset of students who voluntarily participate in after school activities brings these kinds of thoughts to the minds of conservatives.

Remember all of those fabrications and attacks because one school decided to feed any students who participated in an after school program and who stayed to 4pm or 4:30pm.
In 2012 the program cost $170 million and serviced near 26,000 schools.
FNS did not report the number of students served though.

In 2012 they switched from snacks to meals. FNS/USDA does not know how much the cost will rise due to a change in menu.

And it's not "voluntary". In order to get reimbursement the school must have a documented after school enrichment program in place, either academic or extracurricular.
It's part of the application and eligibility for reimbursement.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:57 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But what is wrong with it? I don't think it's "eroding" personal responsibility, a term the RW has made a mockery of in any case.
How about YOU pay for it? As I said before: YOU and other people who agree with such a program, go down to your local school and "adopt" 100 kids and pay for their dinners out of YOUR pocket.

YOU WON'T. You don't find a problem "with it." So long as someone else pays for it; which IS the problem. How about you direct your focus and attention to the dead beat parents who had children they could not afford? You won't, which is the hypocritical lie of the liberals.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 AM

89,043 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
How about YOU pay for it? As I said before: YOU and other people who agree with such a program, go down to your local school and "adopt" 100 kids and pay for their dinners out of YOUR pocket.
That is another good suggestion. Let those who advocate such a program voluntarily fund it. People have to put their money where their mouths are. There's WAY too much expecting others to pay for what someone else wants.

Quote:
YOU WON'T. You don't find a problem "with it." So long as someone else pays for it; which IS the problem. How about you direct your focus and attention to the dead beat parents who had children they could not afford? You won't, which is the hypocritical lie of the liberals.
Exactly.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In 2012 the program cost $170 million and serviced near 26,000 schools.
FNS did not report the number of students served though.

In 2012 they switched from snacks to meals. FNS/USDA does not know how much the cost will rise due to a change in menu.

And it's not "voluntary". In order to get reimbursement the school must have a documented after school enrichment program in place, either academic or extracurricular.
It's part of the application and eligibility for reimbursement.
And? The story is about one school in one school district.

I don't know if your stats about the program are true generally speaking conservatives get a lot of things wrong when they attempt to do analysis because of their personal ignorance and biases, but let's say that is true here is what that means it is .0053125% of the federal budget. An irrelevant percentage, the pentagon loses more money than that in Iraq alone.

So if its waste or spending that this is about it makes no sense to outraged about this teeny tiny program that's feeding students.

But of course it's not about the money, it's about who as in who is being helped by the government.

And the program is helping people that conservatives hate and don't want to be helped by the government, so lets lie about the program. Smh

It is voluntary, the students volunteer for the after school program and the school district volunteers to participate in the program.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 AM

1,092 posts, read 833,502 times
I did not read all 50 pages of this thread, but .... I live about 90 miles from Memphis, so we get their news on TV & in papers. It would seem that for some time now, that "they" have been sending food home in back packs for after school AND weekends. THE latest news is that they are now looking for a way to feed the kids all summer, as well! So, now these kids are going to school early for breakfast, getting a free lunch and food sent home for evenings & weekends {and possibly the summer!}. I AM NOT FOR ANY CHILD BEING HUNGRY...but, most of these folks have already "got their heads in the trough." Free or subsidized housing, welfare, food stamps, WICA, medical attention, transport to & from school, some in subsidized after day cares & pre- school programs, ditto after school care programs, and on & on.. Just WHAT are the parents doing with these food stamps, etc. if the schools are feeding the kids? Maybe ALL monies should be diverted to whoever is actually feeding, etc. the kiddies. I am with Dale Cooper. Folks need to stop having kids they cannot afford. There is soon {if not already} going to be more to be taken care of than there are those with the resources to be plundered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies